black and silver number plates legal?

Slick S3

Reaction score
i'm thinking of getting black and silver number plates on my black facelift S3 and was just wondering if they are road legal and if not what is the likelyhood of me getting pulled or fined, as i see a fair few cars with these on, and i'm sure the police see them as some of them are regularly parked in the same place on busy roads!
many thanks.:arco:

However as you say a lot of people have them and i've had german plates on my car for 3 or 4 months with no problems. So the chances are you won't get pulled unless you get a copper in a bad mood. Keep your standard plates in the car and say you've just been to a show if they moan. Should get away with it.

I think what randomjim is saying is right, I've seen lots of old classic cars with these type of plates but never anything modern. I reckon you can only fit them if your car would have had them when it was originally produced. Don't think plod will be too impressed if u fit 'em to a car of your vintage!

ive seen a few recently, a nw tt a few weeks back, and slr(i think) in london on sunday god that shifted! as far as im aware they have not been made legal on modern cars however more and more people seem to be getting away with it.

I sold a few sets a few months ago but now my supplier won't send them to me unless the car was registered before 1973. Even if i say they were for show plates, so they might be cracking down.

thanks guys, might just do what randomjim said and keep the originals in the boot.
like the look of the black and silver plates on black cars!

As said, legally they are pre 1973 only.

I've got pre 1973 plate formats (i.e. no prefix/suffix) on all three of my cars, but only the Speedster is silver on black as the donor car was a 1971 Beetle so everything is legit.

Have to admit I put a set of show plates on my Ibiza when I'm on track as you never know where the photos will end up. They say 'Ibiza GTi'. I once forgot to change them after a trackday and drove over 100 miles with them on before I filled up with fuel and noticed.

so does that mean if i but a private plate such as S3 --- is tha concidered to be a pre 1973 plate format. and would this be legal to have it in black and silver.

i did exactly the same in my mini!

after a track day at castle combe back on 2005, i had my show plates on, saying 'Nick 801' (my old race number)

left it on on the trailler home, then drove around for 3 days without realising it was there!

only found out when a mate asked me how much my personalised plate cost me!

Slick S3 said:
so does that mean if i but a private plate such as S3 --- is tha concidered to be a pre 1973 plate format. and would this be legal to have it in black and silver.

Affraid not mate

oh well, never mind. will still risk it and give it a go for that look!
thanks

If you do get stopped, and you use the old 'just been to a car show officer' line, just be prepared for the next question, which will be 'where was that then?'

Things will get pretty sticky after that if the copper thinks you're lying to them to pervert the course of justice....

I don't speak from experience, oh no!! :motz:

The question that springs to my mind is .... why? I think they look naff, but each to their own.

old style plates on a modern car just look wrong really....

on a classic mini, then yes, they suit it, but i saw some on a black S3, and it looked stupid IMO

german plates on the other hand, look good!

Each to their own I suppose not my cup of tea !!! Saw a Clio with a set on tonight knowing the police round here he will soon get to know the traffic cops very well! very soon.

well each to their own indeed, as we all would otherwise be driving around in identical cars with identical mods! now thats NAFF! lmao :moa:

Depending on what car I like the black and silver plates
Will look good on a black car..

But like you say the world would be a very boring place if everyone liked the same

yes thats exactly what i think that they only really look good on a black cars, i think they look great and make the car look very unique.
:rockwoot: