A3 1.6 gearknob - how do you swap it!?!

ultramodz

06 A4 2.0T FSi S-Line SE
Reaction score
Website
www.mattstevens.co.uk
i've taken off the gearknob, and the push-down reverse mechanism, and the gear lever gaiter, and attached an after-market gearknob that i had, but concluded on driving the car that this was too unsafe, as there was nothing to stop you putting it into reverse at any time.

so now i'm thinking about modifying a few parts to get a new gearknob to fit...

has anyone with a '99 1.6 SE done this? coz if one of you has put on a different gearknob, which make, and how did you attach it?

i found this on the momo website:

kss.jpg

specially made for VAG cars - just a shame they charge £60 per gearknob!!!

Id on't know of anyone that's changed their gearknob so would suggest that noone can help you.....

[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said:
Id on't know of anyone that's changed their gearknob so would suggest that noone can help you.....

[/ QUOTE ]

I changed my nasty A3 gearknob for a MOMO one with a MOMO gaitor... took about 5 minutes to change, and required a pair of needle nose pliers/cutters and a hacksaw.

Fistly, pull the gaitor up over the existing gear knob, and the remove the clip from the knob. It all should just pull off the stick now.

Using the hacksaw, remove about 1.5-2inches of the lever, as if you dont, it will be too long!

The MOMO kits come with fitting adaptors... rubber spacer covers, and little grub screws to attach it to the shaft.

It really is not that difficult.

Any problems, give me a shout!

Rich

He's been shouting for days and now you decide to reply, what sort of person are you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

You only replied Rich to prove me wrong! I'd forgotten you'd changed your 'knob'......I thought you'd gone for a black mans version /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said:
He's been shouting for days and now you decide to reply, what sort of person are you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well i havent been on here for days! was too busy friday night preparing for saturday, then away all weekend, and in no mood to be doing anything sunday night /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/snore.gif

Rich

Its got a shiny end too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Alex Stanley said:
Tsk, and I thought you were such a nice young man when I met you at the weekend /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I was talking about the gear knob! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

my problem is having the 1.6, the mechanism is completely different from the 1.8 upwards.

i've dismantled what i've got, and the push-down reverse section is causing the problems.

i can easily attach a different gearknob without this part, but then as i said, it is ****** dangerous as you can put it into reverse instead of first without anything stopping this.

i've been trying to think of a way to modify the push-down part, but it's proving difficult...

if you guys can't help i'll have to resort to trial and error!!!

[ QUOTE ]
ultramodz said:
my problem is having the 1.6, the mechanism is completely different from the 1.8 upwards.

i've dismantled what i've got, and the push-down reverse section is causing the problems.

i can easily attach a different gearknob without this part, but then as i said, it is ****** dangerous as you can put it into reverse instead of first without anything stopping this.

i've been trying to think of a way to modify the push-down part, but it's proving difficult...

if you guys can't help i'll have to resort to trial and error!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude,

Im not sure wot u r getting at! the mechanism has nothing to do with the gearknob! u can remove it and the gaitor and just replace it as i did... u do not even touch the gear stick itself apart from chopping 2" off the top!

Rich