Quaife ATB differential ???

i have a ATB in my mk1 golf...makes one hell of a difference. best money ive spent on handling!!!

I have spoken to quite a few people who have had these fitted and they are amazed with the differences with them
One guy reconed that it was the best mod he ever made
We are in the process of becoming an agent for these
The fitting of them can take a while as the gearbox has to come off and be srtipped down , but we will be doing this soon
Hope that helps
Sarah

one of the biggest gain you will get handling wise

it will keep you entertained as you can feel the diff biasing the wheels through the stering wheel as you give it some round bends

would recomend purchasing the ARP crown wheel fitting kit much better than the standard vag rivetts

if you need more advice phone quaife and ask to speak to dale phillips

I question the need on an S3...
The chassis is the problem, not the lack of grip.

I have one in my Mk3 GTI Golf...and have had 3 cars with LSDs in the past (all FWD) and they work well...but on a 4wd car, it's doubtful you get a gain worthy of the cost...unless you are using it to get round the crap chassis.

On a decently set up S3 there is no need for an LSD...there is plenty of grip available.

Was thinking exactly the same Glen...

I would rather spend the money on the more aggressive Haldex controller at the rear...The S3 doesnt struggle for grip in a straight line thats for sure.

Had a Peloquin LSD in my Golf and the difference was like night and day, would literally drag itself out of corners...

The Quaife ATB Diff is just what it says. i.e it is not a LSD.
Read the product info!
Because it never locks you can use it as a front diff in FWD and 4WD.
IMHO you dont want a locking diff in a front diff. Not nice on the road.

IN-A3, we're not questioning that the ATB diff is not a capable unit, i DID READ THE INFO.

We are questioning whether there is any need for such an item in an S3.

Having driven an S3 round the wettest of tracks I know for a fact it would have neglible benefit and in the dry it's the chassis and driving skill that counts.
I have never experienced diff locking in the S3, with the ESP on it would never happen.

I agree, Having used ATB's before just checking that you know how they work.
I ve not driven an S3 on the track, agree the Gen ii haldex is prob a good bet.

IN-A3 said:
The Quaife ATB Diff is just what it says. i.e it is not a LSD.
Read the product info!

Ooh...grow up!

I've fitted two of them over the years...so I know what they do...and if you are honest, they do limit slip, by biasing torque to the non-slipping wheel...so let's not get pedantic.

Because it never locks you can use it as a front diff in FWD and 4WD.

And who said you couldn't, exactly?

IMHO you dont want a locking diff in a front diff. Not nice on the road.

I ran a ZF clutch and plate LSD for years and it was more predictable than an ATB diff every day of the week.
The locking diff also works under lift off...so in my view, better in a FWD car as it'll let you better place the car on initial turn in.

Having used Quaife, Honda and Peloquin ATB and ZF and Gemini locking diffs...I'd fit a locking diff every time if I wanted total grip.
The ATB is better than nothing...and has good road manners...but it's just not as predictable as a 'proper' LSD.

what worries me is the fact that the technical drawing for pre-1999 states that the A4 diff is actually for Porsche boxter. I never knew audi went for the odd/even approach using odd teeth on the ring to even teeth on the pinion. strange! must be a **** to lap those