Some Advice please guys

dgannon69

Reaction score
Right as some of you may have read a week back i had my car booked in for a cam chain change because of a rattle.

AUDI said that the cam chain was the cause of the rattle and needed to be replaced because it was becoming slack and could snap etc etc.

It was replaced monday also with the cambelt and water pump all for £770 which is not a bad price.

BUT, tonight whilst having a drive i tested each gear up to 6rpm and let the engine braking do the rest down to 1k rpm.

Most noticably in 2nd gear between 4k rpm and 3k rpm under engine breaking i'm still getting this rattling noise...

Now as you can imagine, i'm VERY VERY ****** off as i've either spent the money on something audi has lied about or they have diagnosed it wrong.

Am i within my rights to be very ****** off and expect them to now fix this at whatever the cost as they haven't rectified whatever it is?

Regards
****** off Dave

Could it be a heat shield or manifold rattling?

Either way the cambelt is worth getting done.

yes i know cheers mate, but it seems to feel like the stealers have ripped me off as the replaced the CAMCHAIN (not cambelt) as they said this was the cause of the rattle!

Dave

As they have misdiagnosed the fault and promised to repair it you should be able to throw the car back at them and tell them to keep it till fixed

unfortunately this wont mean you will get any money back, but if you're firm enough it should at least get fixed.

Take it as a lesson learnt and never take your car to audi, take it to an independant.

i wouldnt be too hasty allow the engines new components time to settle down.also can sound a bit noisy after an oil change.

Have to say I thought it sounded like a load of bs from them in the first place!
deffo take it back and challenge them, I'd get at least the profit part fo the job back off them if I were you!>!

Imagine if it were a dodgy plumber, charging 700 quid for changing serviceable parts.......he's have that bint off watchdog after him as soon as you could say leaky ballcock!

They assured me the Cam chain was to blame for the rattle before. the top technician came out with me for a drive and i think was too deaf to hear the noise. Anyway he took it into the workshop and funnily enough the service manager said it was an oil box or something vibrating as it was slightly too close to another engine part.... (i forgot)

The noise has now gone!
Dave