Tyres

wightman

Reaction score
Alright lads, i need two new front tyres anyone got any good pointers on what to go for? and what change would it makes to the car if i fitted 235/45/17 or 225/35/17?

assuming that the rim cant take the extra width?

What is your car - is it an S3?

I don't think you should fit wider tyres to the front that on the back (assuming that you've got 225's on the back) - it may be an MOT fail(?)

You also may find big price discrepancies - 225/45/17 is a popular size used on a lot of cars now, so prices are reasonably competitive. The others are weird sizes so may be very expensive. The change in profile will also affect your speedo slightly.

yeah its an S3, think i will stick to std just been a bit wild in my thoughts.
anyone use federal? got a decent price for them at £49 per tyre.

You generally get what you pay for with tyres...

I would stick to well known tested brands ie peoples reccomendations on here.

Goodyear Eagle GSD3 or Michellin Pilot Sport PS2, both excellent tyres.

You don't want too cheap tyres as they won't last that long and be crap in the bad weather.

Remember they are one of the most important things on your car, the only contact with the road!

Got a set of 4 225/45 R17 part worns with 7mm of tread from some company off Ebay for £110 delivered.

Bargain.

Just can't understand why anyone would scrimp on tyres, especially on an S3.
The single most important part of any car - £200 gets you 2 really decent tyres, £100 gets you garbage which will effect both the safety and handling dramatically - it's not really that complicated is it?
If you can't afford £100 then you're driving the wrong car.

AndyMac said:
The single most important part of any car - £200 gets you 2 really decent tyres, £100 gets you garbage which will effect both the safety and handling dramatically - it's not really that complicated is it?

Totally agree enough said.:applaus:

AndyMac said:

I smoke round to and from work in £1800 worth of A4 with a bargain set of S4 rims on it, not wasting money on tyres on a car i'll have 12 months before it dies.

Totally agree if you've got something worth spending the money on though, specially if you drive enthusiastically.

I was actually ****** surprised at how good these tyres were though, wasn't expecting them to be half as good for the money.

That's the chance you take with the bay!

Wasn't really aimed at you Smitch, but wasting money on something that could save someones life or at least avoid an accident is kind of a contradiction in terms IMO. I save money everywhere I can, but I don't cut corners on tyres. You wouldn't fit part worn brake pads.

Fair point, hadn't really thought about it like that.... :ermm:

AndyMac said:

Well andy, just to let you know im getting some michlin pilots,
and as if you have the cheek to say if i can afford my S3 or not how the **** do you know?:mad: the only reason i was asking is that ive just bought an R6 (So i can get more excitement in my life than a dull as dish water S3) and want to get it on the road asap and was just interested in peeps opinions on cheaper tyres.
But i think im doing quite well just been 23 with a S3 and an R6.

uh oh.... mods please dont lock this thread till tommorow please :)

Now where did THAT come from????

I got pirrellis p6000 on my car and its a 1.8 n/a I would recommend pirrellis they grip a hell of a lot better than my previous tyres.

876171_170x170.jpg

wightman said:
and as if you have the cheek to say if i can afford my S3 or not how the **** do you know?:mad: the only reason i was asking is that ive just bought an R6 (So i can get more excitement in my life than a dull as dish water S3) and want to get it on the road asap and was just interested in peeps opinions on cheaper tyres.

Wind your neck in Boyo, we don't give 2 ***** what you "think" is doing well.
I had a brand new VW Passat, a brand new transit van and a 450BHP Toyota Supra at 23, so does that make me better than you then? give over you numpty.

:jump: OK, who took the padlock off the fridge and let all the kiddies at the Tango and Full-Fat Coke. You know it makes them hyper.

Did someone just hear a lock??

I've got pirellis p6000 on my chipped 1.8T and they really suck, looking to get some Toyo proxes or potenza pole position S03

wightman said:
need two new front tyres

Can I just don my Health and Safety hat and point out that if you are fitting a pair of tyres, the tyres with the most tread should be on the rear of the car, whether it is FWD, RWD or AWD...

A4Quattro said:
Wind your neck in Boyo, we don't give 2 ***** what you "think" is doing well.
I had a brand new VW Passat, a brand new transit van and a 450BHP Toyota Supra at 23, so does that make me better than you then? give over you numpty.

I didnt say i was better i was just pointing out that i can afford my car.

boyo.

Daniel Vzla said:
I've got pirellis p6000 on my chipped 1.8T and they really suck, looking to get some Toyo proxes or potenza pole position S03

Thats what ive got on now the P6000's and i think there ok but could be alot better ''IMO'' .
What prices did you get for the Proxes?

wightman said:

I think Olly needs to set up a new forum for "young, enthusiastic and boastful newbies" seem to be quite a few on here lately...
Respect to Andymac though for not biting back though

silver75 said:
I think Olly needs to set up a new forum for "young, enthusiastic and boastful newbies" seem to be quite a few on here lately...
Respect to Andymac though for not biting back though

ok ok my rants over.:motz: point taken.:salute:

Nice thread, on a side note you can get Bridgestone S02 NS3 in 225/45/R17 from most dealers as they are an OE fitment to the Porsche. However I am unsure if these are the Pole Postion ones. The PPs were the best tyre in the world IMO.

Well for what it's worth, I put my money where my mouth is a few weeks ago, I've been a serious Eagle F1 GSD3 fan for a while, but thought I'd give the Toyo T1-Rs a go, had them on the front for a few weeks now and I think they are possibly even better than the goodyears.

So out of all the tyres I've had on my S3 (a lot) i'd say for price / performance the eagles or T1-Rs have the others beat hands down, was only £160 for either (2) fitted at my local place too.

For 225/45/17 tyres i would recommend either Goodyear Eagle F1's = £83
or Toyo Proxes T1-R / T1-S's = £80. (the newer T1-R's seem less sticky than older T1-S's)

Both are good reliable tyres for large saloon cars.

I usually end up buying tyres from mytyres.

225/45/17's are what you want. When you start dropping below 40's your just going to murder your rims ! The british roads arn't good enough for ultra low profilers !

My tyre of choice is the Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD 3. Been about for years now so the price has dropped dramatically, won't find better for the money !

This has been discussed to death on here (YES DO A SEARCH) but...

Was talking to meee mate Dave today who owns a tyre business and last time out at the Ring he noted that the Ring Taxis (BMW supplied M5's) were wearing PS2's. They change them every 50 laps. So, if they are good enough for BMW supplied M5's I guess that carries a little weight towards an argument for them on an S3...

I had PS1's and they were probably the best all round tyre I have ever owned (had 50 odd cars in my life to date) so I think I will give them a try...

I still rate the Yokohama Parada SpecII's for dry use, awesome grip in the dry whilst still maintaining affordable wear rates...Not great in the wet..

Jeezus! whats happening to the state of this forum...its sad to see the bad attitude from some "members".

If you were referring to me then you misunderstand my posting. The reference to "do a search" is valid and is recommended time and time again by the moderators/admins, this is because there is a ton of valuable information on this subject and many others at your fingertips using the search functions.

I wasnt referring to your post Stewart (sorry for the confusion). I totally agree, the search function is invaluable and should be used before anyone attempts to post.

Tyres that come with production cars bears no relation to the quality, it's just whatever deal the manufacturer managed to do with whatever supplier at the time, which is why it's a total lottery as to what you get on a new car.