re-map or new car?

lee s3

top gear
Reaction score
basically i'm not sure now wheather to re-map my s3 or change my car.

how will a re-mapped s3 compare to the likes of a standard evo or cars of that class?

Depends what aspects of the cars you want to "compare".

For straight line speed, then even a remapped S3 is not going to keep up with Evos or Subarus.

However, Evos and Subarus look awful and have a poor image. So unless you want huge exhuasts, ridiculous tail fins, noisy engines, plastic interiors and to be called a chav ... steer clear.

A remapped S3 is the perfect combination of quality and power.

Biased? Me?

monkeytrousers said:
However, Evos and Subarus look awful and have a poor image. So unless you want huge exhuasts, ridiculous tail fins, noisy engines, plastic interiors and to be called a chav ... steer clear.
And a bill for a service every 4000 miles or so...

For the sake of as little as £250 for a remap (although i'd spend a bit more), why not get the S3 tuned then decide if you want a new car?

You'll hate the cabin in an Evo or Scooby compared to the quality of an S3.

Personnaly, i don't think they're Chav. Certainly not a well-specced newish one. There are plenty of chavs in A3/S3's these days as anyone can get a bank loan. Just depends on whether you are a badge snob i guess ;)

Running costs are worth considering too...

I reckon my missus would leave me if I bought a scooby or an evo! She's not a badge snob or anything (she put up with me having a 20 year old 205 GTI as a daily driver for a year!) but the image associated with them is chav/ dealer/muscle bound **** strap. I think they're an excellent motor, just couldn't live with the image.

Depending on how much you would be looking to spend an E46 M3 would
be a car worth looking at if you're looking for more power and non plasticy interior

remap for sure! keep the audi class

Dont get a trial

If you dont accept it after it then it doesnt go back to your own map, but a revo etc written one

rodenal said:
Dont get a trial

If you dont accept it after it then it doesnt go back to your own map, but a revo etc written one

Thats an interesting point, ive been reading on some of the ECU forums that the revo trial can cause problems if you then try and use another OBD type ECU upgrade from another company, anyone else heard of this?

loftgroover said:
Thats an interesting point, ive been reading on some of the ECU forums that the revo trial can cause problems if you then try and use another OBD type ECU upgrade from another company, anyone else heard of this?

Jim over at Star Performance told me to stay away from the free trial as your does not return to standard!

Surely they'd get in trouble for claiming it's stock Audi map settings that's used when the trial reverts....

Admittedly my ECU blew some months after the trial, but I don't think it was connected to the trial... I've not noticed my new Audi mapped ECU being any difference in power delivery, performance or fuel economy from the Revo reverted map....

Of course a rival will say to not try the Revo trial..... that's obvious. Especially as their mapping prices are the same or even more expensive than Revo....

I assume it's the same settings they use when you have the switch to turn the remap on and off (for fooling dealers etc. into thinking it's a stock map) (which is a feature I see Star performance also offer...)

I would remap the Audi personally. Interior is quality. I drove my mates P1 on Sunday and I was blown away for performance.:hubbahubba: Got used to it so quickly and was very comfortable with it, but it was lacking the quality interior and stuff.

I wouldnt say no to one but would have to be aweekend toy in my opinion.

remember, your always going to get used to the power, however much you have!

a friend of mine recently bought a nissan 200sx, running 230bhp.

at first he thought it was AWESOME, and wouldnt stop saying how quick it was.

within a month, he was bored of it, and said it wasnt really that quick.

a fortune spent on work, including a remap and other things (not sure what) and he has a dyno print out for 291bhp now..... that was about 3 weeks ago, and hes bored of it already, and wants more power!

he now seriously regrets getting the 200sx comming from a fiesta zetec S, and wishes he went for something more midrange.....

if you sell the S3, and get a scooby or evo, you will have a balistically fast car, it wont be all that nice to live with, but itll be so fast it wont matter!

then a month later, you will get used to the power, and start missing the incredibly comfort of the audi, whilst you sit in your scooby being deafened, staring at a nasty plastic dash....

lets face it, if you have a remapped S3, your going to be able to put up a fairly decent show to the majority of cars on the road, and wont be tarnished with the chav brush.....

stick with the audi, and remap it!

Prawn said:
remember, your always going to get used to the power, however much you have!

if you sell the S3, and get a scooby or evo, you will have a balistically fast car, it wont be all that nice to live with, but itll be so fast it wont matter!

then a month later, you will get used to the power, and start missing the incredibly comfort of the audi, whilst you sit in your scooby being deafened, staring at a nasty plastic dash....

lets face it, if you have a remapped S3, your going to be able to put up a fairly decent show to the majority of cars on the road, and wont be tarnished with the chav brush.....

stick with the audi, and remap it!

give the guy a medal :thumbsup:

thank guys :)

you know it makes sense to stick with the audi!

i came to my 1.8 T from a mental hillclimb 1380 mini, it was pushing out 114bhp, had a full SCCR box, all steel bottom end, totally stripped with just a 6pt cage and buckets. it was a mad car, but totally unpractical. id ploughed over 8k into it over 3 years!

its off the road now i have the audi, and is just a trackday toy, but when i go in it now, i really dont get how i drove it 60 miles a day, for almost two years to college and back!

i really dont think i could go back to something like that after the audi.

itd be just the same with the scooby or evo, only difference being itll be a lot faster, and suck up even more cash!

i loved my mini to bits, but after a hard days work, when its 11pm, the roads are icy, and youve been up 18 hours, driving it home became a chore.

getting into the audi after a hard days work, and it feels like your home. it can be quick, if you want it to be, but when you dont, its quite, comfortable, stylish, and practical.

lets face it, the S3 remapped is easily faster than you can safely put to good use on the UK roads, so you would only be getting a scoob or evo to race people, and most of them will be chavs. who wants respect from them anyway?

would you really want to take your mum shopping in a 350bhp scooby?

remember dreaming about owning a nissan skyline once untill i asked a guy for directions who was tinkering under the bonnet of one.he had done loads of mods to it the engine bay looked awesome.then i looked inside the cockpit and thought :puke2: looked like something from the third world no creature comforts what so ever not somewhere you would like to spend any length of time in.remap the s3 it will give it a new lease of life then you will be able to enjoy the full potential of a truly great little car:icon_thumright:

well, thanks the feedback everyone.

guess its right in whats been said really, the s3 is a comfortable, sylish, reliable car which will be more than quick enough when its remapped.

plus you can't beat those heated leathers in the winter.

all i'm gonna do is change my alloys, will look alot better then, any suggestions on some nice 18's to suit a azure blue s3?

love this :kissmyrings: haha

good lad, you really wont regret it!

around plymouth where i live, the roughest area has the highest number of wrx's ive ever seen.....

literally, they havnt got a pot to p*ss in, yet they take out massive loans they cant really afford to have a wrx. its nothing special anymore....

you dont see nearly as many S3's around, and i know when i see one, its something i really appreciate!

Prawn said:
good lad, you really wont regret it!

around plymouth where i live, the roughest area has the highest number of wrx's ive ever seen.....

literally, they havnt got a pot to p*ss in, yet they take out massive loans they cant really afford to have a wrx. its nothing special anymore....

you dont see nearly as many S3's around, and i know when i see one, its something i really appreciate!

ha ha you obviously haven't been to Bradford. Its the chariot of choice around here.

lee s3 said:
any suggestions on some nice 18's to suit a azure blue s3?

love this :kissmyrings: haha

the bbs rs ii's look lovely on the s3, there the optional extra on the tt's, they go on ebay every know and then.