Vredestein Ultrac Guigiaro Tyres (225/40/18)

Reaction score
These are the almost unpronouncable tyres that are on my S3. The tyres are only about 3 months old and are like new, apart from the one which I found a screw stuck in this morning!!

I've been to kwik fit and ATS and they both refuse to patch it as it is too near the shoulder. As a result i've just ordered another Ultrac to replace it. At £107 fitted I didn't think the price was too bad, but wondered if anyone had any opinions on the tyres?

Personally I've never heard of them before three weeks ago when I bought the car. Thoughts?

£107!!!!!!

Toyo T1S-R and Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's are both around £88 and well known and proven tyres from most aspects and used by a lot of the Mk4 Golf crowd as well as lots of people on here.

£107 seems expensive.

you should be able to get a toyo for around £120 fitted at kwik fraud, or an Eagle F1 for around £135. No chance of getting them for under £110.

Never heard of your tyres tho so cant comment on them, seems a bit steep if they're a budget tyre tho.

Dave_Bayern said:
£107!!!!!!

Toyo T1S-R and Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's are both around £88 and well known and proven tyres from most aspects and used by a lot of the Mk4 Golf crowd as well as lots of people on here.

£107 seems expensive.

£88 for 225/40/18's fitted and balanced? I had a look on blackcircles.com and and the eagles and Toyo's come in at £120 and £115 respectively? (assuming this is a good guide) Kwik frauds and ATS wanted over £135 for this tyre fitted.

Also I think its false economy to buy one Toyo and shove it on with three tyres of a different tread pattern/compound only to save £20 odd quid...assuming it is possible to save £20 odd quid.

This is the tyre in question: http://www.vredestein.com/Banden_Bandtypes.asp?UserSessionID=29241145&BandtypeID=1

You can get 225/40 18's for under £88

I recently got 2 for £130 fitted and balanced lol

Could not tell you what they are tho, apart from ***** obviously - hard compound tho which is all i care about due to my regular mileage

I have the Ultracs on my S3, standard 225x45x17's. I've used Vredestein for years and found them to be a good all round tyre (no pun intended).
Doesn't seem to be much wear after 7000 miles of ahem, spirited driving.
My local garage supplied them for £80 a corner though, which mytyres couldn't get close to.

I have these fitted to my S3. I asked for them when my toyos wore down. they seem to be wearing very well. You can notice the difference in road grip between the two as the toyos are a very soft compound hence more grip. Not that the ultracs are poor in any way; i actually like them a lot.
Tread pattern is awesome too, if you could ever say that treads are in anyway sexy!

IIRC i paid £455 for all 4 fitted.

ive heard good things about these tyres, i was quoted around that price when i last changed my tyres, but at the time i hadnt heard much about them so went with the toyos.

I've got falkens 225/40/18 £74 each, decent tyre. If you ring around enough tyre places you'll find someone that'll fit tyres for cash which makes it cheaper.

i just bought khumo ectas 225/40/18. my alloys came with these origionaly and i liked them so had another set. they cost £70 each fitted.

Funky_Junky said:
£88 for 225/40/18's fitted and balanced? I had a look on blackcircles.com and and the eagles and Toyo's come in at £120 and £115 respectively? (assuming this is a good guide) Kwik frauds and ATS wanted over £135 for this tyre fitted.

I havent found black circles to be a good guide no. mytyres.co.uk is certainly more representative of tyre prices in berkshire, which is where i get mine.

Bracknell Tyres recently quoted me that price, and Humphries (a national chain) matched it too.

Thats fitted, balanced and disposal.

Thanks for the comments guys. I think i've done alright then considering.

One thing to note for all of you running the Ultracs with the Guigiaro tread pattern (like me), they no longer make this pattern. It has been replaced by the 'Sessanta' tread pattern which is completely different.

If you end up like me and only need one to match the rest of your set then you might be a bit stuffed. The garage I used rang Vredestein direct and only managed to get a tyre because they had some left over stock in the warehouse.

Wouldnt worry too much about the tread pattern mate, other than looking slightly off it wont make a whole bunch of difference

I know what you mean but I don't think its just the tread pattern, I think its compound as well. I've had cars with different treads on different wheels before and IMO it does make a difference. To use an extreme example my last 205 GTI had different treads on the back two tyres. The standard lift off oversteer was bad enough, but with different tyres on it was just f*ckin dangerous!

Funky_Junky said:
Thanks for the comments guys. I think i've done alright then considering.

One thing to note for all of you running the Ultracs with the Guigiaro tread pattern (like me), they no longer make this pattern. It has been replaced by the 'Sessanta' tread pattern which is completely different.

If you end up like me and only need one to match the rest of your set then you might be a bit stuffed. The garage I used rang Vredestein direct and only managed to get a tyre because they had some left over stock in the warehouse.

funny that as i have just yesterday had 4 of these in this size supplied and fitted with the guigiaro tread pattern after ordering them 1 week ago!! sure your garage is not trying to fob you off?!

Keith_S3 said:
funny that as i have just yesterday had 4 of these in this size supplied and fitted with the guigiaro tread pattern after ordering them 1 week ago!! sure your garage is not trying to fob you off?!

I did suspect this at first, but after Kwik Fit, ATS, Black Cirlces and the local garage I eventually bought them from all said the same thing, I figured it might be true.

Are you sure your garage isn't trying to flog you old stock? ;)

Funky_Junky said:
I did suspect this at first, but after Kwik Fit, ATS, Black Cirlces and the local garage I eventually bought them from all said the same thing, I figured it might be true.

Are you sure your garage isn't trying to flog you old stock? ;)

lol yep im sure they had to order them in for me so def not old stock :thumbsup: