Speed

L14MDP

Reaction score
Just a quick survey, what are the top speeds people have had outa their S3's.

Also I have a 225 bhp, what can I get it to by chipping it and roughly how much will it cost?

I've had 146mph (on a private road of course /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif)on the clock from my S3(210) running 19" alloys flat out.

when i picked mine up from Germany second hand with 3.5k on the clock i got 250kph on the clock on the way back, but my GPS says that the clock is reading about 7kph high!! i have since had it revo'd but the road down here are just not up to those speeds.

My personal best is an indicated 140 in a 210bhp S3.

As for insurance and warranties, it is very dealer specific how they approach these things. My local dealership is anti modification, so I have waited till the end of my warranty. Most modifications come with their own warranty, however, so if you have only a year left it might be worth the risk.

On insurance, I personally would never lie to my insurance company about modifications. If you have a serious accident they will start to dig and no modification is undetectable, what ever people might say to the contrary. However, I am insured with Direct Line, all mods declared (275+ bhp), full comprehensive with Business Class 1 and protected no-claims for about £1150. That's cheaper than I used to pay for my standard S3 with my previous insurer. Nice.

Dan

I have to agree with both Gambba and dbm re; the insurance thing. I ran around for a while with my car chipped yet did not tell my insurance company until my conscious finally got the better of me. In fact when I did tell them I had modded the car further yet was suprised to find that my insurer (Tesco) only added another £98 to the base cost to cover ALL mods making a total of just over £470. Being an ageing ****** also helps !

As for the warranty thing my cars long since seen the back of that yet if it were spanking new I think I'd only begin to consider chipping it when out of warranty. It may be a while to wait yet these cars tend to get under your skin hence I've no plans to replace it and am now reeping the benefits six years on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I managed to get a brand new A3 2.0 FSI overnight not long ago. Got 136 on the clock, not bad for a non-turbo... but still no S3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
MarkS3 said:
when i picked mine up from Germany second hand with 3.5k on the clock i got 250kph on the clock on the way back, but my GPS says that the clock is reading about 7kph high!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I always have the CC running a speed check to see how accurate the speedo is whe cruising at high speed, hopefully will be doing some logging with VAG-Com when thrashing it with the boys at the Essen meet.

[ QUOTE ]
Drill said:
I've had my chipped A3 up to 233kph on the DIS (250 on the speedo) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Of course this must have been a fluke, as I haven't gotten it above 240 since /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

We'll be trying to push that envelope that bit further newt weekend I imagine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

145 so far fro, 210 s3. more to come

151mph in Germany - 1.8T chipped. (can't verify the speedo though but have the pictures to proove! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Drill said:
[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said:
[ QUOTE ]
Drill said:
I've had my chipped A3 up to 233kph on the DIS (250 on the speedo) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Of course this must have been a fluke, as I haven't gotten it above 240 since /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

We'll be trying to push that envelope that bit further newt weekend I imagine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya think?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

Although, I figure Sven'll be prepared to spank us all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah......
afraid of that too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
hopefully i will get a couple of more horsepower out of the new Taipan Quickshift filter unit to be fitted tomorrow (well already actually today) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

no way have you had 151mph!! the most you told me was 140mph and even that was prob down hill! ive seen you flat out and will's 8v mk2 was keepin well up with you! also tom (my bro) has a vr6, and thats a highline(quicker than yours) and he's never had more than 140mph!!!

[ QUOTE ]
L14MDP said:
no way have you had 151mph!! the most you told me was 140mph and even that was prob down hill! ive seen you flat out and will's 8v mk2 was keepin well up with you! also tom (my bro) has a vr6, and thats a highline(quicker than yours) and he's never had more than 140mph!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

okay...i did tell you...was on the way to silverstone at 6am...if you remember i told you when you arrived!
and yes will's car does keep with mine...upto about 120mph (never tested this, it's a theory and he agree's with that himself). yes a highline can be quicker, and i'm sure he (tom) has had more than 140, and if he hasn't then i think you'll find out that he ran out of road and that it was still pulling! also, will's adamant that mine feels quicker than tom's (maybe due to the fact that there's less resistance in my engine from the fact that its more worn out - i've heard of vw's gettin a lot quicker with mileage).

whatever, you can never really say for sure your top speeds going on what it says on your speedo...who knows how accurate they are. mine could be 10mph out at those speeds, but then again so could yours! you need a gps gizmo like a road angel really. but i HAVE had an indicated 151...fact! (damn, it you love winding me up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

[ QUOTE ]
Drill said:
OK, this brings up a question.... we all know that the Speedo is off, and the faster you go, the bigger the "Offset" (For lack of a better word). Now, how "Off" is the speed display through the AC?? I would think that it's more accurate than the speedo, but how much so?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well a digital readout in theory should be extremely accurae when compared to the cable driven speedo...as I would think that the CC obtains this data from the engine ECU which is receiving this info from the speed sensors at the wheels for engine running and ABS activation etc. So we should be looking at relatively accurate data, but stil I think GPS or one of these performance devices can be the only way of confirming that.

P.S. If Sven has his S8 back for the weekend then I'm looking froward to all of our A3/S3's being able to tuck into his slipstream from the flying ship and reach some nice speeds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
L14MDP said:

[/ QUOTE ]Only got indicated 147 mph in my old jetta vr6 and that was 2.9,amd chip,scrick cams and everything.The mk2 Jetta is i think lighter than mk3 golf,but with the aerodynamics of a brick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifsounded much better than my last 3 1.8t's though.Cheers Andy

weight doesn't affect top speed. but gearing does. bet you were on the red line in the jetta. mkIII vr6's are geared for motorway's, and altho they're still box like, they are a bit better than mkII's.