S3 front spring replacement help/advice needed!

campbell

Reaction score
my front right spring needs replacing so if anyone who would be so kind to offer any advice/guide to remove the suspension strut and replace the spring would be very helpfull, and the torque settings of the strut when finished ?

also where is the best place to get the springs from?from audi or another place?

the top of the spring were the spring seats itself in the plate has snapped off so the spring is just free to move at the top hence a very worrying noise

any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Lee

never done the S3 but will be doing eventually can`t see them being much different to any other car tbh. if you want springs try dpm on here

i'd replace both front springs. Sounds iffy to me have a new fresh spring on one side and an old tired one on the other. Or treat yourself to a set of H&R lowering springs from DPM or Awesome. May work out more cost effective.

i have jus bought one spring which cost me £52 all in, couldnt really afford two at the moment.
if the handling is knocked out because of one fresh spring on one side and an old one on the otherside, i will have to replace the other side too.

does anyone know where i can a haynes manual or give me a guide of how to do the job?
thanks

you could use any haynes manual as a guide, most cars arevery simular just havea can of wd40 atthe ready and some copper grease for when you put it all back together.

I remember the 1st time i did my crx it was a sod then 5 years later I did it again in no time as everything came apart nicely. :)

i paid £52 for a german manufactured spring, but i phoned audi and they are similiar price but with VAT on top. i opted for the german copy because i expected the OEM springs to last a lot more than 55K!

DPM- do you think i will notice a difference then in handling, tracking etc?i can see where you are coming from

Definately, brand new springs on the front without changing the back is bad enough but brand new spring only on one corner! You'll notice it straight away bud! I understand the money issue but it may end up costing more in the long run. How many miles has your car done?

i also agree with the new spring on one side is a bad idea, they will have different spring rates... come on.. if you can afford a 2002 S3 then what is £100 for safety.. you could probably buy 4 new lowering springs for the cost of 2 OEM springs.

my car has done 55K, not a lot really. the spring at the top has just snapped where it sits in its cup. thats the reason why i am changing it.

i think i will get another spring then for safe measure, i have had lowered cars in the past and there great fun but not over speed bumps etc. i like the comfort setup to be honest and insurance would play a part in it if i lowered it

has anyone got a pic with them lowering springs fitted and any comments?might just go for that option

Mate, steering and suspension are safety features. never scrimp or bodge and always do things in pairs.

If you change one side of anything, make sure you change the other ! !

i will do both sides then, im not so keen on lowering my S3 as i want to keep that side of things standard.
is £50 a side reeasonable for a german manufactured spring and not an OEM spring?

i was just looking at them, he says there off a 2002 S3 (same year as mine) what do you guys think?