rubber seal around ariel base going

tj1978

MRX
Reaction score
Hi

my a3 quattro I have noticed after buying it that the rubber band seal around the base of the bit where the ariel screws in, half of it has come away and the rest is easy to peal off....

Get I get this part from an audi garage and fit a new one on myself ?

If so does anyone know the part number ?

Thanks and regards

Tim

thanks mate

so its the roof ariel repair kit....

Do i just pull off the old seal and then assume the new one just pushes in to place and it a tight fit ?

Regards

Tim

You have to take the roof lining down at the back of the car, you then undo the nut that secures the aerial base to the roof, and take the aerial cable off. You can then lift the the aerial base off the roof and remove the old damaged seal, and fit the new one into place. I found a bit of wd40 aids getting the new seal on to the base as its quite a tight fit. You can then refit the aerial base to the car.

damn, that seems like a lot of work just to fit a new seal !
Is taking the roof lining off inside the car a tough proceedure, I dont want to make the car worse through my lack of experience.....

Cant I just fit the seal externally by pushing it down over where the existing seal was :O(

Thanks for your help on this

Regards

Tim

You have to take the aerial base off to fit it mate, its definately worth the effort, remember the seal is stopping water leaking into your car through the roof. Im sure if you take your time you will be fine mate.

yes you can get at it through the rear light. Needs nible fingers though!

PS: buy it from VAG Parts - your local dealer will try and sell you the whole aerial (£130+) I rang them a few months ago and politely told them where they could put the WHOLE aerial!!!

stealers charged me 100 notes

Mine is falling to pieces aswell. So will be replacing it soon.

I presume its not too complicated taking down the roof lining...?

If any of you have the time I would really really appreciate a guide on how I attempt to take the roof lining down (dreading the thought)...

Thanks loads

Tim:scared2:

i replaced the whole base with a part from the stealers at about £30 iirc. i got the one from vag parts first and didnt like it. you dont have to take the whole lining down, just a small part at the rear of the rear light. its pretty straight forward.

When you say the rear light, do you mean the rear brakelight at the top of the window, that area ??

drop the headlining light down and nut holding aerial in place should be in front of you

Wow, thought it was only me with this problem, thanks for this post you just saved me some cash.