Boxster Brakes

S3_Jack

Reaction score
Hi all,I've been reading this forum for the last few months,some good information kicking about here.I did do a search regarding my topic but unfortunately i did not find what i was looking for,anyway here goes....
My S3 is now needing discs and pads(I've had the car 3 months) when i bought the car there was a new set of oem (312x25) discs thrown in for me to fit at my leisure.I've been reading that the car would benifit from a 4 pot caliper setup ?? I was thinking of buying Porsche Boxster front calipers(986.351.421&422) and running these with the oem discs,is this set up any good ???? Bearing in mind i don't do track days just occasional bursts on back roads etc !!!!
The other set up that caught my eye tonight was the Boxster S front calipers(996.351.425&426) but i would need to upgrade to a larger disc(323x28) Am i going to feel any difference between the 2 setups ??
I'm going to be doing the brakes in the next few weeks and i want to get it right first time,so guys,any info you can relay onto me will be a big help.
Thanks in advance

My advice...
If you want 4 pots, buy the Brembo kit for the car.
It works superbly...

Unless having Porsche on the callipers is more important?
I'd be tempted to buy the Brembo GT Jr kit that has the correctly engineered carriers, discs and callipers that have piston sizes that accurately match the S3s master cylinder size, thus improving braking AND keeping the pedal feel...

I'd stick to a bespoke kit rather than lash one up yourself and potentially end up with missmatch issues.
Unless that Porsche lettering is really that important?

Ess_Three,I hadn't thought about that,that must be a similar kit to the Cupra R ??
The reason i mentioned the Porsche Boxster brakes is due to the fact a local breakers has a set of Boxster fronts with VW/Audi carriers,they actually came off a 1.8T Golf,Discs are the 312x25 standard S3 items though,I really just wondered what the difference between that kit and the Boxster S/Carrera kit is,apart from discs thickness and diameter ???
Thanks again for your time

Yeah, it's the Cupra R kit...and works really well...I never felt the need for better, road or track.

In my view, the disc size on the S3 is marginal...especially in thickness and ventilation.
The Cupra sized discs solve the problem without going too large and adding too much more weight.
The callipers work well...the brackets are approved and more importantly, proven to be strong enough for the job.

And if you need spares (discs, pads etc) you can obtain from your local SEAT dealer.

It's a good honest kit...works well...has everything you need in the kit...and replacements are reasonable.

It did it once...I'd spend my money in the same place second time round...it really is all you need.

Have a look on ebay under tt brakes,theres currently Brembo's on there :jump:

they reached £530 last time with reserve not met. If you shop around you can get them for £700-750 new.

I got mine off eBay for £400 including disks, pads, carriers and hoses about 18 months ago.

As Ess_Three says, well proven setup and access to spares at a 'reasonable' price from Seat.

i got my a3 quattro remapped recently and i think i will need better brakes, if i continue to drive like ive been doing.
But is the Brembo junior kit ideal fro my car as well? are there any cheapers alternatives that will be just as effective? kind of skint for cash at the moment

ak_quattro454 said:
i got my a3 quattro remapped recently and i think i will need better brakes, if i continue to drive like ive been doing.
But is the Brembo junior kit ideal fro my car as well?

Yes...

are there any cheapers alternatives that will be just as effective?

No...

kind of skint for cash at the moment

You could fit the S3 brakes by fitting the bigger discs and calliper carriers...but they are only a slight improvement.
You can't beat the 4 pots for outright power...the Brembo kit is as good as any performance wise, and cheaper than most of the more bling offerings.

Ive seen most places are doing Brembo junior GT kit for about £1000

But is the cheapest way for me to get brembo set up would be to get the discs seperate from ebay (for example)
and get the rest of the parts calipers, cables n pads from seat dealer???

If your going to run the 323x28 Cupra disc it's only available from the Seat dealer for £101 per side plus vat,I might have a set of boxster front calipers and Audi carriers forsale but you would be looking at running the 312x25 factory S3 discs.I bought them for my S3 but i'm now going to use the larger Boxster S caliper and Seat Cupra R disc set up..Cheers Craig

I've just put 911 Turbo calipers and disks on my S3. So have S3 calipers availiable if anyone wants them.... Can have the almost new greenstuff pads to, but will need disks as the EBC turbo groved disks taken off where dead, chucks missing out the back of the disk!!
Want them call me on 07921503219 i'm Stourbridge, West Mids