Volks AutosBadger5
    Mahonee

Status

Difference between genuine and replica wheels ?

Alright just wondering why the genuine audi wheels are so much better than replica's ?

The only thing I could really think of is quality and weight but is there really that big a difference ?

cheers.
    2001 Audi A4 1.8t - quite nice really

2. # ADS
    ADS

Brum brum

Status
    Yep, you've hit the nail on the head - weight and quality.

I've got a set of rep new RS4 wheels on my S3 at the mo. They are a lot heavier than the same size OZ SuperTourismos I've also got. In addition, they needed loads of wheel balance weights stuck on them to get them balanced up ok.
    Jason
    2001 Nogaro S3 (daily driver)

1958 replica Porsche 356 Speedster (summer posing)
    1997 Seat Cordoba SX 16v (track day toy) replacing (t)rusty 1994 Seat Ibiza GTi RIP

1st Gear

Status
    I was told that OEM Audi and VW wheels are forged, whereas reps are cast. Thats why OEM are stronger...

Rich

Aky
    Aky

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasdent
    Alright just wondering why the genuine audi wheels are so much better than replica's ?

The only thing I could really think of is quality and weight but is there really that big a difference ?

cheers.
    Don't forget price. I've just paid 500 for a freshly refurbed set of OEM RS4's without tyres.

4th Gear

Status
    I think there are replicas, and then there are replicas! Replica wheels vary in price enormously for the same size/style, butI feel you get what you pay for more with replicas.

With OEM, you know what you're getting, but then the downside is you pay for it!

Replicas are a bit hit and miss IMO.

Having said that, my current set of reps are nicely finished, and weigh the same as the OEM Star 5 Spoke wheels I removed. I also managed to flat spot one of the OEM rims on a pothole, so they're not necessarily any stronger than quality reps. Having said that, I purchased some replicas 18" BMW sport wheels for a previous car, and although they looked the par, they weighed an absolute ton!

The best thing to do is to try and view any replica wheels in person before parting with your cash.
    Audi S3 - 2002MY - Denim Blue - Gone
    VW Polo GTI - 2011MY - Candy White - Here

Mahonee

Status
    Just out of interest, what is the proper spec for s3 wheels ?

is it 5x112 pcd et 20 ?

Also,

Don't suppose anyone knows what an original RS4 wheel wieghs, do they ?
    Last edited by Jasdent; 13th February 2007 at 12:21.

Big Ron

Status
    8L is 5x100 and I think et 32

Smart Roadster 03
    Ford Sportka 05

Aky
    Aky

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by silver75
    8L is 5x100 and I think et 32
    I've also heard they come in et35 but not sure. The et32 will sit closer to the arches

Brum brum

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Aky
    I've also heard they come in et35 but not sure. The et32 will sit closer to the arches
    Yep, the lower the offset or ET number, the more the wheels will 'stick out' from the centreline of the wheel.

Hence why original A4 RS4 wheels are ET20 - they were designed to fill out the flared wheel arches on that model, so they stick out by an extra centimetre or so.
    Jason
    2001 Nogaro S3 (daily driver)

1958 replica Porsche 356 Speedster (summer posing)
    1997 Seat Cordoba SX 16v (track day toy) replacing (t)rusty 1994 Seat Ibiza GTi RIP

Big Ron

Status
    oh i thought he was asking for S3 wheels... yeh the original B5 RS4 wheels will not fit on an S3 at all, wrong stud pattern and too low an offset

Smart Roadster 03
    Ford Sportka 05

Mahonee

Status
    And weight ? anyone ?

S3 Drift King!

Status
    I think you guys have got this totally wrong lol, the difference between OE RSTT's and replica ones is mainly price, the genuine items are generally the same weight as the reps. and the main difference is cheapo centrecaps for the reps, and expensive Audi caps for the proper items. S3 needs 5x100 ET35(give or take say 3mm), genuine are ET32.
    Genuine RS4's(I'm talking about the uber RS4 Avant here) are made or Magnesium which are prone to buckling, have a stud pattern of 5x112 and an offset of ET20 to fill the wide arches!
    Of course, there are some bad quality RS4/RSTT reps out there, where the colour fades as soon as you put alloy cleaner on them, just use soap anmd water I say lol.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

4th Gear

Status
    jojo, I don't think you've said anything there that the other posters haven't between them...

The OP was asking why OEM are better than Replica. I think the general answer is they aren't necessarily!

You do make a good point about the OEM centre caps though, so the OP should budget another 80 for genuine ones from Audi or half that from ebay etc. The centre caps on my wheels were in all honesty ghastly.

I think there is a vast spectrum in replica wheel quality, hence my advice to see for yourself, or go on trusted recommendation.

Rrrrrrrr-tech

Status
    In my experience the RSTT replica's are weaker. I bought some good quality reps (correct dish/offsett/no fade with wheel cleaner/matt centre caps with no 'bling') and they looked the part, but within 18 months the front two had buckled. I hadn't dived down any potholes or even kerbed either of them so i'm not even sure what caused it (and I don't bump up kerbs before you ask).

I found out they were buckled when the guy took them off to change the tyres, he spotted the buckle(s) straight away.
    > S3 225 (03) - OEM+
    > 205 GTI (90) - Limited Edition Miami Blue with full leather - 1 of only 300 made
    > Clio v6 255 (05) - Lethal Weapon

View: My S3 diary

Aky
    Aky

Status
    My Replicas tat I had a previous car cracked on the inside of the rim in 2 places - not happy about this - simple case of you get what you pay for.

2nd Gear

Status
    this is all worrying as a man who is looking to get an s3, and alot have the RSTT wheels on - more than likely reps. Maybe I should just stick to the good ol fashioned Avus 17"!

4th Gear

Status
    I think 18" reps are probably more prone to buckling than 17", but you could say 18" wheels in general are more prone to buckling as they've got less tyre protecting them.

Anyhow, with wheel prices these days and the deals that are about, alloys are almost disposable!!

Mahonee

Status
    is this the part number for the oem wheels that fit the 8L ?

8N0 601 025 S

Anyone know it ?