Forge tie rods

savant

Reaction score
hi
i want to lower my 01 s3 by 30mm but am not sure if the forge tie rods are really neccesary.i read on the site that the stock ones have been know to snap when the car is lowered....Do u guys think it is neccesary

I think the adjustable bars are a help in trying to resett eh correct camber for tyre wear on lowish cars, with 30mil I'd suspect you'd be ok ish..

The snapping thing does happen, but usually due to poor maintenenace and inspection. when you lower the car, the bushes on the arms can be put under a bit more strain and are at a different angle. If you get squeakiness from the arms, it would indicate that they are maybe causing an issue and it has been known for the movement to seize up, and the arm itslef snap.
Keep your eye on them and lubricate / replace if they get squeaky and it should be ok. also regular inspections of the wleds on the tie bars would nto go amiss!

I am in the same position BTW, my Billys and Hand R springs arrive tomorrow!
I have held off the tie bars so far.

If you want your car to handle properly...and not kill the inside edges of the rear tyres, then yes, you need to fit the adjustable tie bars.

It really makes a huge difference to how the car drives...as well as not eating the rear tyres.

what i would add to this is that these are also avaliable from kw now i have ordered a set and they are considerably cheaper than the forge bars
try http://www.g-werks.co.uk/ mine are on order with them.

Just so you all know the Forge ones are Audi OEM , from Germany and brand new , modified with high tensile steel and zinc plated adjusters, They have been TUV approved by a dealer in Germany , we wlso use Powerflex bushes , we do not re use old tie bars that have been fitted .
Be sure you have like for like