Turbo problem or alternator?

Dave_Bayern

Slipping at 3.5Krpm
Reaction score
This evening on the way home I started experiencing problems with my Audi A3 1.8T.

My journey home is approx 10 miles and takes 35 minutes in normal traffic.

The car has lost power when accelerating, in that I put my foot down and the car judders/flutters and doesn't go anywhere fast.

You can still hear the DV working and diverting the air.

On idle the car kinda pops/flutters and there is no real power when trying to pull away.

When getting out the car theres a fairly strong smell of something hot/burning.

So all this looked like it was maybe my turbo being knacked.

Anyway, then I noticed something very very strange, if I turn on my lights (I have HID's) then the fluttering and popping out the exhaust happens, however If i don't turn on my lights the car appears to operate as normal for longer, until finally, it does the popping and spluttering again. As soon as i turn the lights on, it makes the popping.

Could it be the alternator, could it be a massive power drain, would this make the car not work in that way?

Another thing which may or may not be related is that
when looking from the front of the car, the battery is on the right hand side, well to the left of the battery is a hose that comes out of the fan area and dissapears under the engine, this was very very hot. Even 20 minutes after my journey. Is this related?

Bit confused, dont want to have to get the train tommorow :-(

Have you tried checking the battery voltage?
I have found ECUs don't like low voltage, and this could cause bad running/misfiring.

I did a standard scan on vAG-COM but no errors were found, I'm gonna re-scan tommorow and check measuring blocks on 01 as that should tell me the voltage apparently.

I've removed the battery and am charging it now, so will see what happens in the morning.

PLus I'll be stealing the PP3 from the smoke alarm to make my multimeter work, just hope it is that, and not something more serious.

Well, charged battery overnight and the car had trouble turning over this morning, so it looks battery related. Drove this morning with no HID's on, no aircon or radio and the car behaved normally, so I expect there was a massive battery drain, which affected the ECU.
To be observed....