Boot Mounted Bike Rack

CeeDee

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Looking for some advice on the best boot mounted bike rack (ideally for 3 bikes) that is available for a 52 plate S3?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

IMO you either need one that fits securely onto a towbar, or a put them on the roof. IMO Racks that hook onto the tailgate are a bad idea - a lot of weight on something that wasn't designed to carry it.

A company called Saris make a 3 bike rack which would fit, the model is called bones and folds down well after use - I have one for my A3 and it's pretty good IMO

hope it helps

Mike

I tried looking for a boot bike rack for my S3 and did not find any that would work as the S3 has the large roof spoiler on it. The straps would put pressure on it and break it so they are not recommended for the S3.

I bought a tule roof rack for it and it has worked fine, but I am now selling the car so I do have them for sale if you want to pm me. I only used them about 2 times.

I use a Hollywood rack for the back of my S3. Fits well and no scratches yet, but you have to be carefull! I wouldn't want to put three on there though.

fingermouse said:
only problem with bikes on the roof is all the mud falls off them onto your car :(
Simple answer - ride a road bike and not a mountain bike :p

I have the Saris Bones 3 rack (Thanks for the advice MikeA3). It clears the (S3) spoiler no problem, which I know is a problem with a lot of other racks. It's also adjustable to fit any type of car be it hatchback, saloon, whatever. I've had 2 mtb's on it at motorway speeds without any problems at all. Haven't tried 3 bikes and wouldn't be too mad on the idea to be honest, but that said it was solid as a rock with 2 bikes. Highly recommended rack.

Mark and Mike, Can you take a picture of the Saris on your car?.. I know its a six strap job, I wouldnt mind seeing how it fits on.

The reason is that I have had a Thule roof mount VeloVise collapse with my bikes on at 60 mph...and although its been dealt with quickly, they have sent me a similar one that uses the same components that failed last time...

Have a look..

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/read.php?f=2&i=2793702&t=2791560#reply_2793702

Thanks..

Will do Rick, I'm heading out on Sunday morning, so I'll get a few pics of it on the car. I really couldn't see a bones failing structurally either to be honest, its made of bombproof plastic and aluminium, very simple, very strong. PM me your email address and I should be able to get pics over to you Sunday evening.

Marc

I've got pics of the rack folded up and did a little write up that i sent to Mark before he bought his - i can forward that to you as well if it'd be any help?

pm me your e-mail address and i'll pop it over

Mike

sent it to you guys, let me know if it's ok

Mike

Hey,

I took some pics of the Bones mounted on the car this morning, if anyone wants a look, let me know and I can forward them on.

Marc