lowering my a3

Herby1

VAG All the way
Reaction score
hi peeps,

just a few questions, about to lower my car but need some help first.

1. i had a focus and corsa before my a3 when i lowered the cars the front seemed higher than the back or the back seemed higher than the front and that was lowering them 40mm, now i dont see why this is? all i need to know is what and how much do i need to lower my 1999 8l Audi a3 by? and will it be higher on the front or the back or will it be level all round if i lowere it by 40 mm? help urgently on this please

2. is it safe to just buy the springs or shall i go for a full suspension kit? on both please tell me what are good springs or kits to buy at a fair price

any help on this people would be great. thank you for reading

regards

chris

yeah i want to get a new lowering kit...but i am worried that if i get a kit that lowers my car 40mm all round the front or the back back will be higher than the front or the back if you gewt what i mean, so i need to know really has anyone lowered there car 40mm all round and is it level all round?

any help again mate?

yeah i was thinking of coilovers mate, but i heard it is hassle with getting all the suspension level all the same!

how much are the 40mm suspension kits you sell mate?

any list?

Alright mate i paid £600 all in fitted including VAT at APS.

Ive got the H&R Sport kit 55mm at the front and 45 mm at the rear,

Good quality budget kit, Pleasure to drive now!

Jason

hi jason......you say it is lowered 45 rear and 55 front, is that the car perfectrly level mate? so basicaly i need to have the front 10mm higher than the rear? is that what you are saying?

let me know bud

cheers chris

oh and dpm thanks for them mate, il probably be getting back to you about the h&r kit.

cheers

anymore help on this please peeps? anyone got pics of there a3 lowered if so can you post some up with a short description on how much it lowered all round. i need to know urgently.

thank you everyone

I think you have to be careful if you lower it more than 30mm drop as the drop links for the front anti-roll bar can catch the driveshaft.
Something I read from somewhere - can't remember if that is the exact height, but it would be wise to check first.

oh can it? damn.....i though alot of people on here have lowered their cars alot more than that without any problems? all i need to find out really is howmuch do i need to lower the front and the back for car to be all level all round at a lowered height!

40mm drop, but for christs sake dont do it, this was on the car before i bought it, and its a nightmare. speed bumps = dont like em, road rubble = dont like em.

every knack and cranny in the road you can feel. fantastic handling, **** for bumps!

go mid way around 30mm

Mine is lowered 50mm. No probs if you drive carefully and STOP at bumpstops. The only issue I have had is sway bar rubbing with right side drive shaft. I have removed sway bar until I get new set of swaybars...

Go 40mm! or 50mm! Car looks wider and wheels bigger :cool:

Looks like the H&R items drop it level. I went for coilovers on mine. Wierd cos I lowered mine 35mm each corner measuring before and after from the wheel centre to the arch and it looks lower than the H&R 50mm kit.

Another thing to note, when choosing between coilovers and a normal spring/shock combo, is the wheel clearance.
There isn't much space under the A3 wing so you have to be careful with offsets with the coilovers. Some wheels will rub the shock on the inside edge. Standard wheels will be fine but its close.
No probs with normal spring/shock types.

Markyp, maybe the original kit had rubbish quality springs/shocks. Mine rides fine, not crashy at all.

Silver75, your car just looks the nuts, love it.