my car burns too much oil!!!

stephen

Reaction score
driving me crazy, its burning a rediculous amount of oil, bout a ltr every 2/3days.
the car is a 1.8T on 115K miles, the turbo is a fully reconditioned unit so its deffo not that. can anyone help.
there is huge amounts of smoke from idle to about 2400rpm, after that all is fine. ive even tried using a thicker oil but not much change.

anyone have any ideas?
thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

Randomjim said:
Valve stem oil seals maybe?

If it's worse when cold, it's usually a giveaway that the stem seals are knacked.

Stem seals would nto cause that rate of burn!

How many miles you doin, a bit more helpful than every two or three days!

A litre of oil per 500-1000 miles is not that bad. If its a litre every 100, you have a problem.
You say the turbo was recon'd recently! Was that because of nthe oil burn or another issue. Did it blow? if it blew, it couold be some debtrs got in and damaged a psiton ring maybe?
I'd suggest measuring the oil rate for sure, ie scientifically, see how much to top up after how many miles etc.
Also, see if you can see when it burns oil. On start up when cold, (stem seals as the oil drippig dwon over night burns off) but another test is to drive in day light, get tup to high speed, then lift off and coast for about 10 seconds or so, then just floor it, and as you do look in the rear view mirror! if you get a plume of blue smoke it suggests turbo or rings.

Who did the turbo? reputable firm or local garage...!>!>!>

go buy a compression tester from halfords and check each of the cylinders. That should put your mind at rest for the rings.

simch said:
Stem seals would nto cause that rate of burn!

How many miles you doin, a bit more helpful than every two or three days!

A litre of oil per 500-1000 miles is not that bad. If its a litre every 100, you have a problem.
You say the turbo was recon'd recently! Was that because of nthe oil burn or another issue. Did it blow? if it blew, it couold be some debtrs got in and damaged a psiton ring maybe?
I'd suggest measuring the oil rate for sure, ie scientifically, see how much to top up after how many miles etc.
Also, see if you can see when it burns oil. On start up when cold, (stem seals as the oil drippig dwon over night burns off) but another test is to drive in day light, get tup to high speed, then lift off and coast for about 10 seconds or so, then just floor it, and as you do look in the rear view mirror! if you get a plume of blue smoke it suggests turbo or rings.

Who did the turbo? reputable firm or local garage...!>!>!>

im only covering about 30miles max a day. Turbo was done under a private warrenty. didnt blow, was just burning oil. unfortunatly it doesnt cover the diagnostic charge or valve stem oil seals, covers piston rings and cylinder head gasket.
from what you said, i would.nt think its the valve stem seals as it happens wether its hot or cold, not just at start up.
I have got the compression tester and im gonna do that the now.

a mechanic suggested that one of the brether pipes could be blocked and as the engine cant breath, it is pulling oil up.

So they rebuilt the turbo as it was using oil............and its still using oil...?

Either they diagnosed it wrong in the first place, or they did not rebuild it right!

Get the cylinders compression tested, you can maybe do it your self, but you need to somehow get the throttel body open to do it right and may struggle if its drive by wire, and the motor is immobilised from starting, (as it will need to be!!) Maybe need ot jam the throttle body in the open pos for the test!

simch said:
So they rebuilt the turbo as it was using oil............and its still using oil...?

Either they diagnosed it wrong in the first place, or they did not rebuild it right!

Get the cylinders compression tested, you can maybe do it your self, but you need to somehow get the throttel body open to do it right and may struggle if its drive by wire, and the motor is immobilised from starting, (as it will need to be!!) Maybe need ot jam the throttle body in the open pos for the test!

with the drive by wire the TB isn't open until the ignition is on. but need to disable fuel injection and coil packs, shouldn't be a problem. compression test will be done tomorrow(sunday) also there is the possibility that i will do a full re build on the engine soon if i dont get this sorted.
i have got the use of a garage and tools for when i like (found out tonight) would be nice cos i really like my A3. fingers crossed it dont come to that.

I had a similiar problem with my s3.Turned out the seals werent tight around the sump. had it taken off, all cleaned up and re-sealed.
The funny thing was, despite the leak, the car never left any drips on the road whilst being parked.

ok, i found a burst breather pipe. fixed it, but no change (idles better now)
i did the compression test and here are the results,

going from left to right from the belt side(all in bars) 12.2, 12.0, 11.9, 11.2

Reading in haynes, all are above the minimum of 7.5, and the difference between cylinders is less than the maximum diff of 3.

strange. may just need to rebuild it. :mad:

turbo should be ok, ive tried 2 different turbos. one fully reconditioned, the other a second hand one with 40000miles but still in good condition.