1.8T downpipe+decat?any good?

sam_20vturbo

Reaction score
from what ive picked up about these on this and other forums, if you have an older AGU engine it will work ok, as they only have one lambda i think, the newer DBW engines also have a post cat lambda i think, and will throw up fault codes and some sort of light on the dash.

as to what gains are available, im not sure, but id be interested to know, as i have seen them too, and would like to know if its worth doing!

shame really, would fit an S3 as it has 2 pipes into one at the cat!

Not really sure whether or not you would see an increase in performance but you will defo notice a big increase in noise!

how will i know if i have an older AGU engine? ive got a 1998 1.8t sport...?

Have a look at the sticker in the engine bay. Thats if it still has it. The engine code should be written on that.

but then how will i know once ive got that? sorry im pretty clueless about the whole thing lol

and also how do i know if mines a facelift model or not? :blush:

Sam

I was wrong there. My sticker in the engine bay doesn't say what engine code it is. Sorry. However it was in my logbook. What year is your car and model?

its a 1998 A3 1.8 T sport. I think its early 1998 as the cd changer ive just had top buy for it is a pre 1998 fitting.

Sam

should be a AGU vag changed them mid 2000. pipe works well had one on my old 1.8 gti the only problems is they boom a bit if sitting on the motorway at 60-80 you will soon get peed of with it.

Booth_S3 said:
shame really, would fit an S3 as it has 2 pipes into one at the cat!

Not really sure whether or not you would see an increase in performance but you will defo notice a big increase in noise!

Got a 210 BHP S3 on a 2000 plate, Do you know if this will fit

brucelee1973 said:
Got a 210 BHP S3 on a 2000 plate, Do you know if this will fit

No, the one in the link won't fit a K04 turbo or a quattro equiped S3.

Anyway, you'll fail your MOT without a CAT.

Also, as mentioned, wide-band lambda equipped cars will throw a fault code and probably mess up the air:fuel ratio unless mapped for the decat.

sorry to bring up such an old post. but i thought it was far better than starting a new one!

has anyone actually got any experience with a decatted AGU engine? is the standard cat actually restrictive at all?

im having my car remapped in a month, the mods when its remapped will be a miltek catback stainless exhaust, CAI, and a forge DV. would it be worth me decating the car as well? i know its an MOT failure, but would the benefits be worth the hasstle of refitting it once a year for MOT? or is it simply a bad idea and not worth it?