FRONT SHOCK REMOVALE

j4g3d

Reaction score
someone please shed some light for me.

ive fitted my rear coilovers OK

started on the front right side and ive been doing it for approx 6 hours now and ive got nowhere apart from a killing back ache and crippled legs.

How do you do it???

i eventually got the original shock out, tried slottin new shock in the hole but it wont go in, ive hammered a thick peice of metal in the gap to open the gap up, its done the trick but shock STILL wont slip into the hole.

ideas pls???

Whats stopping it going into the hole? is the shock dia too big? If so how much too big? or is there a metal tab on the shock thats stopping it ?
Can you email me a pic?

new shock seems too big. ive tried lightly grinding it around the edge, lubing the hole up... ive smacked the gap open pretty wide i would say 10mm gap where the bolt threads thro.

mechanic is comin tomorrow unless i can do it tomo myself...

any ideas to get the fooker in?

What brand of coilovers you fitting? Sounds like you may have been given the wrong shock? Ive fitted H&R coilovers on mine and never had the problem of shoving the shock into a hole where it doesnt want to go.

i bought jamex coilovers but they came in a plain box, no jamex engraved or writing anywhere on anything, just 2 jamex bags. says raceline or summin on the spanner it come with to adjust height. no paperwork, no jamex warranty card. nothing.

i just dont want to call the mechanic out to find he cant do them, and still get charged for it cos thats what they do.

could i get some sort of grinding tool to use in where the shock needs to sit into??

I wouldnt advise grinding the hub away as you will definately weaken its overall structure. Not worth risking it snapping when your powering around a corner.
measure the diameter of the old shock and the new shock and if there is too much of a difference then you have got the wrong shock.
First thing tomorrow morning you should Jamex direct and see what they say.

in all honesty the original shock seems to be 50mm in diameter exact, while the new coilover is 51mm max. but like i say, ive prised the thing open on the car for the shock to slip in but it just wont! while if i then go and try the old shock it slips in ok with a bit of wiggle!

also edge of the new coilover has a slight sticking out bit of weld, althou i did gently and lightly grind it down but still didnt get any joy. i used a chisel on the bit that moves apart and it does move some way but still not enough to let the shock slip in. also i noticed when im hammering the chisel in the right side of the shock clamp moved out 1mm or 2 but the left side has stayed put which is stopping the shock falling in, if it moved liek the other side then i could get the shock into place.

Have you got a digital camera? can you email me a pic of the base of your new shock? If there is only a 1mm difference in diathen there is no reason why it wont go in.
Email me the pic and maybe i could see where you may be able to grind the shock from.
sending you a pm

Is the shock going in at all? If its starting to go in but then stopping then its similar to an issue ive had in the past. What i did was locate the shock in the top mount then jack the hub up to press on the bottom of the shock, then while slowly jacking up tapped on the side of the hub. A combination of the pressure from the jack and the shocking from the hammer managed to get the shock to slide home.

its not peepin in at all.

i was thinkin to do what you suggest mate but the coilovers seem so short to do that? am worried the drive shaft will pop out or summin.

today i just bought a drill bit that grinds stone and metal. so im gona give it a quick blast then maybe try what you suggest.

yep. i used a drill peice that grinds metal. lightly done it on the shock mount and shock, i greased it all up, and just hammered it put jack under it and so on. was a nightmare but i think it took me 4 hours today. but thanks for the ideas!!! :)

Pic-0012.jpg

Pic-0013.jpg

Pic-0011-1.jpg

At least you got there in the end. Any scraped knuckles??
the low front end reminds me of my s3 when i first put coilovers on her.

Looks too low!! Tried any speedbumps, or gone 70mph over a dip in the road and scraped the sump yet?

I find that two fingers gap above the tyre is preferable...