AVS service due @ 37,000 miles

vanilla_ice

Reaction score
Hi,

Having owned my 2001 S3 for nearly 5 months, it is coming up to its first service since I've owned it. From the previous owner's receipts I can see that it was last serviced at 20359 miles on 31/03/05.

I was ringing round local dealerships today to get an idea of prices etc. and was told that every 20K the Haldex needs a filter and oil change (as we all know). Also, looking on the receipts the last dealer recommended that a brake fluid service was due, so will be getting that done too.

Now, seeing as I'm 4000 miles short of the second 20000 mile interval should I bite the bullet and just get it done while my car is in, or wait until I have reached 40000 miles (June/July approx.) and book it in again then? Bearing in mind at the moment I want to keep my car FASH, could this be done by an independent?

Neither Ipswich nor Bury St. Edmunds Audi pushed the Haldex oil and filter change as my car hasn't reached 40000 miles yet. However, my feeling is that for ~£120 it's done with and I can start using it without a second trip to the dealers.

Just after a little advice/reassurance really. :friends:

Cheers,

ICE

Just has a haldex filter, fluis AND the diff oil changed on my s3 for £105 all in at APS (independant). Without the diff oil it would have been about £65 for the haldex service, (dealers quote for haldex fluid and filter only).

So you can save yourself £60+............depennds if cash is important to you I suppose!

I guess you’re right; reducing unnecessary costs is always a good thing (especially when buying a house!!).

As long as I keep it FASH, as that is important to me.

Leaves more money for mods too! :icon_thumright:

Thanks for your thoughts.

ICE

Its good to have a FSH but after 5-6 years old a FASH wont really make any difference to the resale value.
I suggest you find a good independent and save some money for the future mods and house.

Is it not 20k or 2 years? If so, you're almost at your 2 year interval so I would say get it serviced.

get it done. Get a price for all the work, and then hammer them down by playing a few dealers off each other - that way you'll definitely get it for cheaper that if you paid seperately.

dont forget to put the quoted prices in here too ;)

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=21647

EDIT: just noticed that you still have 4000 miles left till the service? Thats loads! The service indicator has a habit of going down really slowly in the low miles... mine stayed on 1500 miles for 2 months.....

simch said:
Just has a haldex filter, fluis AND the diff oil changed on my s3 for £105 all in at APS (independant). Without the diff oil it would have been about £65 for the haldex service, (dealers quote for haldex fluid and filter only).

So on top of the Haldex oil/Filter its worth doing the diff oil? I thought that the Haldex Oil/Filter was the only servicing the rear diff needed?

cheers

madvw said:
just noticed that you still have 4000 miles left till the service? Thats loads! The service indicator has a habit of going down really slowly in the low miles... mine stayed on 1500 miles for 2 months.....

The 4000 miles are until the Haldex is due its oil and filter change. My service indicator currently says I have only 600 miles until next service.

Cant remember the exact figures, but Bury St. Edmunds quoted:

£355 for the (major) service
£110 for Haldex oil and filter change
£80 for brake fluid service

And Ipswich quoted:

£355 for the (major) service
£125 for Haldex oil and filter change
£57 for brake fluid service

John Austins, near Mrks Tey (a reasonably local) independent quoted:

£155 for the (major) service
£75 for Haldex oil and filter change
£25 for brake fluid service

I've never used him myself. Has anyone here?

All prices are approximate figures as I didnt write down them down at the time. Looks like I might have to start quoting the dealers against each other.

Cheers,

ICE

dont forget to play the "10% labour reduction as your car is over 3 years old" card too.

Hotscar said:
Explain???

you get a reduced labour rate for having a car over 3 years old. They won't tell you about it when you book in, but they won't question it either when you ask for it - well, my dealer doesn't. It takes the labour down from £115 to £94. Not much i know.