Engine Management Light on Dash

S3 AJU

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have just run a vag com and got this:
17704-
Error in Mapped Cooling System (usually temp sensor or Thermostat)
P1296 - 35 - 00 --

Is this just that the temp sensor has gone or could it be something more ?

Any Ideas...

:rolleyes:

Would the vag com let me know if it was worse?
I checked the water in the coolant, all seems to be there and it does not overheat...

This sensor is knwon to fail often and wont cause the engine to overheat or likewise. Its usually causes a lack of power as its telling the ecu that the engine is still cold and to restrict power IIRC.
If anything eklse was wrong or more serious issues were logged then yes they would show up too. If a sensor goes and has cause faults for other sensors with a knock on effect then they would show up too.

Oh Ok, let me try and get hold of the part. Will keep you posted.
Thanks for the reply.

This is what happened to me when I first bought my car. Cost about 130 quid to fix from the stealers...thankfully the lease company i bought the car from payed for it

Have you noticed that your ESP doesnt work? Could be the same problem as I had if it is.

The ESP is fine just trying to get the part from euro car parts. Then replace it. I have also heard that I should disconnect the battery to reset the ECU.

As this site has helped me. I have made it my priority to post what happened and what I did to solve this. £25 for th part from the dealers parts supplier.

1. http://www.wak-tt.com/tempsensor/tempsensor.htm - LOOK AT THIS FOR PARTS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

2. When you put the sensor in make sure you fit the sensor and the rubber below the circlip as I did not and lost all my coolant, from the sensor. It seems like a flimsy fit for a high temp sensor.

3. Have some coolant ready if it is winter then 50% coolant and 50% water to replenish the system.

4. Then reset the error with vag com.

It seems to be a comman issue and the dealer always has these in stock. If you have the BAM engine make sure you get the green updated part.

Thank you all for your help, keep spreading the knowledge.