Q for folks with factory fit cruise control..

Tooks

Reaction score
I retrofitted cruise control on my A3 over the weekend, and everything went well, and the cruise works exactly as it should.

I was expecting to see a light on the dash cluster though, for when cruise is switched on, but can't find one!

Does the A3 have such a light?!

Ta in advance.

i cant tell when i have my cruise control turned on! id be none the wiser if i hadnt physically turned it on myself!

Ah, ok, thanks guys, correct that there's no light then!

It's not a scientific test, but I've done 200+ motorway miles in the last couple of days, and I'm sure I'm averaging a few more mpg letting the car do the throttle, rather than my right foot.

At this rate, the stalk and loom will have paid for themselves in a few weeks.

Which cruise control kit did you fit? Is it a hard job?
Ive been thinking of doing the same to mine.

Cheers

Stephen

I have a light on mine........! Comes up on the dash!

............nah, just kiddin!! :)

:eek:D Had me going for a min!

shollis, it was the 1J0 971 425 stalk and loom from Vagparts. Either that or the 8LO one will work though. They cost just over £60.

I followed the guide over on this website...

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dgace/cruise_control.htm

The installation on the A3 differs a little bit from the Golf in that the airbag is secured by two torx bolts.

The hardest bit of the install was trying to get the black/blue wire out of the dashboard fusebox without breaking it, and access to the engine control loom is awkward!

My loom also didn't arrive with any labels telling me which wire went into which plug on the engine control loom, but fortunately I found a wiring diagram on elsawin.

It wasn't a 5 minute job, and took me about 4 hours in total, but I was taking my time. If I did another one, it would probably be a couple of hours.

I didn't take any pics of the install, as I think the website above covers most things.

I'm happy to help out anybody who fancies a go though, or needs it activating via VAGCOM if they're in the Leics/Lincs/Beds/Cambs/Notts area.