How to clean MAF

spanishS3

Reaction score
hello!
I want to clean my MAF, so I was looking for a small tutorial. I found a link here, but it didn´t work. Would anyone be so kind to point me in the right direction?
By the way, which are the symptoms of a dirty or faulty MAF? My car hesitates a lot at low revs (just been chipped and has a new Viper DV, but it did it before).
Thanks!!

Based on my knowledge of the internal workings of MAF's I alwyas suggest using an electrical cleaner that is non-flamable and spraying it liberally over the open end of the unit....you could even soak it if you wish. It must be non-flamable any residue could cause the resistors of the MAF to overheat or blow up (Extreme case). These type of cleaners are available from computer stores and suppliers such as RS components.

The above procedure will definately not cause any damage to the MAF and the unit can be reinstalled almost immediately after cleaning.

[ QUOTE ]
cyls3 said:
dont want to sound dunb but where is the 'MAF'

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing with the wire attached to it just after the airbox

Rich

Basically what you need to do is this.

Unscrew the juilee clip that hold the intake pipe onto the MAF sensor. Unso the airbox lid, and remove it from the car.
Unscrew the MAF unit from the airbox, by unscrewing the 2 screws that hold it to the airbox.

Once removed, you should have a cylinder shape thing with a plug socket on it (oh i forgot to tell you to remove the plug from it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif). Looking through it, you should see a very fine 'blade'... that is the MAF sensor part. as you will see, there are 3 'prongs' but are so close together that there appears to be 1 big one. Right, using IPA cleaner, use a cotton bud, and <font color="red"> G E N T L Y </font> wipe over the blade with IPA. repeat this process with a fres cotton bud 3 times or until its completely clean. Remember DO NOT press to hard cos they are fragile, and you do not want to snap it or damage the film. Once this process is completed, just blow on it for a few seconds to evaporate the IPA, and JOB DONE! replace it back to the aribox, and the airbox back to the car, and all should be sweet. remember to attach all the wires, and do up all the jubilee clips. If this does not solve the problems your having, your MAF is knackered completel and you need a new one, or it is not the problem!

Yell if you have any questions!

Rich /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Thanks rich for the explanation. Just one last question. What is an IPA cleaner?

[ QUOTE ]
spanishS3 said:
Thanks rich for the explanation. Just one last question. What is an IPA cleaner?

[/ QUOTE ]

Isopropyl Alcohol... can get it from RS Components!

Rich