Third gear not going in smooth under hard acceleration

siruz

Reaction score
Hello people. Im new to this forum. I got an S3 and under hard acceleration its not going in to 3rd gear smooth. Ive heard something about dong bone brace or something. Need some help if someone know cus i need to fix this its been anoying me for a while now.

Cheers

Sirus

it might be the engine/transmission moving too much in the mounts, or linkage adjustment, try changing gearbox oil too. worst case its syncromesh or a selector shaft going in the gearbox.

Cheers mate. Ive heard alot about the bearbox moving about. It needs a service soon so i just need all the info i can get so i can go an do all the work in one go.

cheers

The 6 speed gearboxes dont like to be rushed. Depends on what you define as quick gear changes. Like it has been mentioned before change the oil, check the gearbox mount to see if its tight. You can replace the gearbox mount aka dogbone with a harder one which will feel much better but be aware that you will feel more vibration through the car at idle.
Does it still crunch when driving calmly?

siruz said:
Cheers mate. Ive heard alot about the bearbox moving about. It needs a service soon so i just need all the info i can get so i can go an do all the work in one go.

cheers

My bearbox moves when I run....

Sorry couldn't resist it :)

Thanks for all the info people.

It only crunches like im not putting the clutch diwn enough in third when driving hard. otherwise its all good.

il check the mounts next week and see whats up.

siruz said:
It only crunches like im not putting the clutch diwn enough in third when driving hard.

Thats exactly how I described the same problem, as if the clutch isnt engaging properly...

Seeing as the parts are cheap I'm going to replace the slave cylinder and as a preventive measure I'm going to replace the clutch pedal and bushings which are prone to going as we've heard many times.

I've had this for 2 years... Then recently my fuel pump started to die (made a weird recyprical rubbing sound at the rear underside of the car) and has been replaced. As a pleasant side effect **drum roll** the crunch from 2nd to 3rd has completely gone ! I guess the fuel supply was backing off more aggressively than designed due to the fuel pump's problems and hence the timing for the synchromesh was out somehow...

The fuel issue never threw anything up in VAGCOM etc.

My 1st to 2nd gear crunch just dissapeared one day. However not so long ago it developed a 2nd to 3rd gear crunch. I m going to get the dog bone mount installed by Jabba, see how that fairs. Reading this post though my car is still on the original clutch (50k) so they could be linked.

How much is a fuel pump ?

If I remember right, £150 with an hours labour....

I used to find it was less crunchy after a servive too... Have had the linkages tweaked by Audi before which solved it for a couple of months...

siruz....top avatar
my gears are worse than a car I had with double the mileage (a vauxhall) but have maintained being the same noisy in the 25k I have done

1st and 2nd gear in my S3 have been a little crunchy since I had it almost 2 years ago. 2nd is the worst, it sometimes goes into 2nd in 2 stages if that makes sense. The wife manages to crunch 1st a lot when changing down into 1st approaching a juntion etc.

Is this a problem, is something about to fail, or is it normal? Can it be fixed?

some one on here must have cured this problem before?? i have put in some fully synthetic gear oil that really helped but still crunches into 2nd if you dont take care when changing im wondering if its the dogbone mount

Dogbone mount helped me out a Little, I've got my gearbox oil just haven't changed it, I will hopefully this week and see if it helps with my crunching issues.

The wife manages to crunch 1st a lot when changing down into 1st approaching a junction etc.

Is this a problem, is something about to fail, or is it normal? Can it be fixed?

Not too sure how good it is to crunch into 1st when approaching a junction, I wouldn't do that unless I was downshifting which I don't do down till 1st gear.

Not too sure how good it is to crunch into 1st when approaching a junction, I wouldn't do that unless I was downshifting which I don't do down till 1st gear.

I would advise not going into first while rolling. It's not that great for the syncro. I always prefer to slip the clutch a bit in second. A clutch change is a fair bit cheaper than a gearbox rebuild.

Gavin

Dogbone mount helped me out a Little, I've got my gearbox oil just haven't changed it, I will hopefully this week and see if it helps with my crunching issues.

I would advise not going into first while rolling. It's not that great for the syncro. I always prefer to slip the clutch a bit in second. A clutch change is a fair bit cheaper than a gearbox rebuild.

Gavin

I agree with the both of you.

The wife is used to driving her Z3 which is much more forgiving on the gearbox/gear change than my S3.

My question was more aimed at why second gear was being awkward.

Mine use to do it when under stress but has cleared up these last few months and i've not touched it, oil level is fine and every thing is tight. Just a S3 thing by the look of it.

I think he means dog bone mount. It is the engine stabilizer at bottom at the back. It controls how much th engine is allowed to rock forward and backward. The OE ones are fairly soft and can be uprated to stiffer ones. By using a stiffer one gearshifts can be more positive as the engine doesn't rock as much when coming off the throttle. The only downside is that you can sometime get more vibration in the cabin.

Ive got the same problem with my s3 everytime I accelerate hard from 2nd to 3rd "crunch" makes an awful noise.

i assumed my gearbox was fecked as it grinds from 2nd to 3rd under hard acceleration but after reading this decided to try a powerflex dog bone bush.best £16+vat iv spent,took 10mins to fit and grind has totaly gone nomatter how hard i drive and change gear!well worth doing if you have this problem!

I would say clutch is under so much pressure. Had a honda that did the same thing under hard accelleration. Eventually (after 6 months) Clutch went.

Hi all, I have the same issue with mine S3, from second to third under hard acceleration is crunchy... it kills me :(
I have changed the dogbone and the engine mounts as well with THS ones but the noise is still there.

I have bought MOTUL performance gearbox oil and I will change it, I pray for the noise to go away....

this issue is still on, living in almost every S3, TT or Cupra R...nobody has the right solution.
I hope that there is not a syncromesh or worse... :(

The wired thing is that when the engine is cold, or the gearbox oil is cold, no matter how hard I go from second to third there is no noise, no crunchy at all...and when the oil start to get high temperatures...the crunch appear! It might be related with the OIL? the EOM OIL is not performing well under high temperatures?

any answer will be highly appreciated, even the topic died 2 years ago! :)

if its crunching when up to temp its probably down to tired gearbox oil, as you say not performing 100% when hot

i changed my gbox oil a while back, i used redline lightweight shockproof oil from opie oils, think the idea is that it is fairly viscous even at full working temps so sticks to the gears more providing a 'cushion'

since changing mine no gear change issues, although as said above the 6spd box doesnt like to be slapped around, treat it with kind and it will do the same for you :wub:

thanks for reply. I got 2 liters of MOTUL Gear Competition, I shall change it these days to see if works, hopefully it will...

Although I drive last weekend to the mountains , multiple S curves, almost 100 km on "S" curves, pretty much hard acceleration and deceleration, smooth gear changes but rev'ing from 3000 rpm to 6000 rpm and back continuously, and suddenly the gear crunch stops, absolutely not even the smallest crunchy...dunno why!
I drive to home and after 2 days the crunch comes back :(

It could be the position of the gearbox? it is not settled right? I have changed the dogbone with a more rigid one...
I cannot imagine, why it stops after racing driving on the mountains...and now it came back.

I will change the Oil and I will handle the ****** 6Sbox very gently.
I love the car but the gearbox could be better :(

Yeah would be interested to know if a change of gearbox oil makes any difference.

i know it did for me, thank good it wernt the synchro or anything more sinister than that

Lol yer mine has the same problem. Good to know its common lol

Mine does it still.
Had the car three years + now,
In this time its had powerflex dogbone mount. New gear box oil... still here though

I was now thinking either linkage or the sensor thingy that makes the car rev up slightly when you change gear??
I did hear these can play up slightly,

There seems to be a knack to it, if you grab the stick from lower down, it wont crunch in as bad, however its slightly awkward changeing gears like that, i might take it in under warrenty next month and see if i can get some bits changed,

Same problem here since a couple of weeks. Already changed the gearbox oil and added syncromesh additive.
Also mounted a Powerflex dogbone bush. Nothing helped.

I have an A3 which has suffered the same problem. One guy says it's synchro rings, the other says it's just the linkage. I'm really clueless.

Linkage is more about “finding” the gear with the stick. If you can’t find it easily then the linkage needs adjusting. If the gear stick though has difficulty actually getting into the slot (like it’s hard to put in or you sense resistance) it’s likely to be a synchromesh issue or something else within the gearbox.

Reactions: Gew
Cool!

Actually reminds me of an old car I had. All shifting was smooth, EXCEPT, about ⅒ of the times, when putting in reverse (going from neutral, with clutch fully pressed down), gearbox made this ugly nose like the gear was forcing itself in with no clutch engaged. Someone told me since it was so intermittent and only affected R (which is seldom used), I'd do best in ignoring it, since chances were synchro rings were busted and a expensive rebuilt was needed to make this little misbehavior go away.