soft pedal

harper4984

Reaction score
just bought a 2000 s3 and the brake pedal is soft! just wondered if this a common thing or that my brakes are dodgy

Theres not really any feel through the A/S3's brakes if thats what you mean?

Otherwise it prob just needs new pads and possibly discs

What were you driving before?
I drove my mates ford puma the other day and the brake pedal felt really hard compared to mine!

When i replaced the low but not shot at pads in my mk 4 (std pads S3 size) I was amazed at how much harder the pedal felt!
So may be that, also fluid and lines should eb checked. There have been incidents of the banjo washers on the rear brakes of Mk4 golfs failing the first sign is a smally weep, , then suddenly with no warning the pedal goes to the floor as the washer corrodes through, relaing the pedal presuure and fluid! Caused a few scary moments for some golf guys, may be similar on the S3 of same vintage!!

Mine went very soft after having a brake fluid service. Used to travel 1" before bite, now more like 4".

NEiLS3LK51 said:
Mine went very soft after having a brake fluid service. Used to travel 1" before bite, now more like 4".
Is the pedal travel shorter without the engine running?
Air can easily remain trapped in the system, if the correct bleeding procedure isn't followed.

mine quite soft aswell after it had a fluid change by audi but my rear discs and pads are low so im gonna change them first

NEiLS3LK51 said:
Unless you are experiencing a long pedal, rather than spongy one. It could be a seized caliper. The usual problem is the rear caliper carriers binding on corroded pads. If you pries them out and clean them up with a wire brush, it should cure it.
It is worth a look anyway.

I had just changed the rear pads and discs before the service. AMD dude said there was a lot of water in my brake fluid before it was changed.
I can't check the pedal travel with the engine off at the moment as the car is in the body shop, will do when I get it back.

A lot of water..../ And yet the pedal was better before.....!? Sounds suss that!

cheers for the suggestions will maybe try discs and pads as the system has be bled and copper slipped. what are best sort of discs n pads to go for?

my brakes seem to be getting worse everyday. When braking hard they seem to make a whining noise not very loud but hearable. All pads have been replaced.