Chris NottSky Insurance
    5th Gear

Status

KEY AND LOCK PROBLEMS!

When i bought my S3 i only recieved one key (flip type)
    but it dosent fit the airbag key switch
    and it will lock the drivers door but not unlock it! wierd realy! cant get my head round it, will also lock the boot but not open it
    is it possible i have the valet key or something? work in ignition fine

any help appreciated

Ash
    2001 Audi S3 l MTM Remap l 252.7bhp 432.4Nm l Forge 007P l ECS Porsche Stage 2v2 Front Brake Set-up l ECS Stage 1 Rear Brake Set-up l 18" RS4 Alloy Wheels

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    Your key may have been cut from the original but not done correctly hence why its not opening/closing all the locks.
    If you want it perfect then you need to get Audi to do it with the codes from Germany. Expensive? Well hell yeah!!

6th Gear

Status
    Yeah you will probably need a new remote key, circa £150 fully programmed from audi iirc
    *Gone* 1997 A3 1.6 facelift headlights, 16"1.8t Alloys, full rear tints. 110k

You built a time machine.........out of a delorean!?!?!

5th Gear

Status
    can it be done without the code tag thing that i havent got!?

All i had with the car is one flip key
    2001 Audi S3 l MTM Remap l 252.7bhp 432.4Nm l Forge 007P l ECS Porsche Stage 2v2 Front Brake Set-up l ECS Stage 1 Rear Brake Set-up l 18" RS4 Alloy Wheels

6th Gear

Status
    If you buy it from audi, they can code it themselves, all they'll need is the car for an hour(not sure if you can maybe do it yourself too if you get them to supply the key)
    *Gone* 1997 A3 1.6 facelift headlights, 16"1.8t Alloys, full rear tints. 110k

You built a time machine.........out of a delorean!?!?!

4th Gear

Status
    I bought a blank and got it cut from a local VW dealer and my Audi dealer kindly supplied me a key fob and programmed it for me free of charge! yes FREE!! Just depends on how friendly your dealer is.

4th Gear

Status
    thats sounds like a very friendly Audi dealer!

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo-S3
    I bought a blank and got it cut from a local VW dealer and my Audi dealer kindly supplied me a key fob and programmed it for me free of charge! yes FREE!! Just depends on how friendly your dealer is.
    Christ! If only all dealers were this generous!
    I get all my parts discounted but thats only cause im there nearly every week! lol

Neutral

Status
    When you buy the car you get two identical fully functioning flip keys and one plastic key of last resort.

I put one flip key in a cupboard, and have been using the other one full time. The plastic one is attached to the one in the cupboard.

If the key is failing to open, and only close then that's (AFAIK) a physical lock issue.

I'd have a locksmith have a look at the key, and check whether it works fine on the passenger door. Maybe it's possible to change the key without changing the fob (the expensive bit)?

Cheers, Ed.

My BM is fixed!

Status
    The reason it works in the ignition and not the doors is probably because the ignition lock is worn and a lot more tolerant of a discrepancy in the key than the doors and boot which normally rarely get any use so are less worn and therefore less tolerant.
    Chris

The problem with common sense, is that its not that common.

See my images @
    http://www.christianfrench.co.uk

Own a dreaded BMW? http://www.bmw-sport.net

5th Gear

Status
    thanks guys
    Think il have to get the dealer to look into this, dont wanna be locked out with a flat battery again!!