Noise coming from glovebox

mnadeem1984

Reaction score
My Audi A3 (8L) has developed this very annoying sound coming from behind the glovebox. Everytime I start the car, for around 15-20 seconds theres this knocking type noise coming (as if a flap is opening or something). I think its something to do with the blower. However, even if i start the car with the heater/blower turned off, it stills makes this sound.

I have tried searching but have not found anything, can anyone shed any light on this please.

Try leaving a mousetrap in there overnight :think:
Mine makes a similar noise, I thinkit could be something to do with the air-con.

This is what Vag com has pulled up:

Address 08 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 8L0 820 043 K
Component: A3 KLIMAAUTOMAT 0101
Coding: 00041
Shop #: WSC 06435
4 Faults Found:
00602 - Potentiometer On Positioning Motor for Footwell/Defroster Flap (G114)
29-00 - Short to Ground
00601 - Potentiometer On Positioning Motor for Central Flap (G112)
29-00 - Short to Ground
00600 - Potentiometer On Positioning Motor for Temperature Flap (G92)
29-00 - Short to Ground
00604 - Potentiometer Positioning Motor for Air Flow Flap (G113)
30-00 - Open or Short to B+

Have you removed the glovebox and checked the cables connecting the blower motor? there will be other cables connecting to motor/s on the unit which control the flaps.
Did you clear the faults?

faults will not clear. Wires all in tack. It seems like a flap or something is stuck and i have had the same problem with two passats.

You could removing the pollen filter from under the bonnet - there is a flap there which leads directly into the blower.

well it definately was that flap mate. I used vag-com. Went to control module 8. and ran basic settings on group 000 for a minute or so and its all fine

:S

the problems come back again. Its to do with the positioning motor for recirculated air operation. This is the flap that is causing the ticking noise at different intervals. If i remove the pollen filter, the flap opens and closes properly, however in both cases, the motor continues to try and open/close the flap (but because the flap can not turn any further), it starts ticking several times then stops.

The heating then works fine, but if i go over a bump or something, the motor will tick again and i have cold air blowing through! I then have to turn the recirculation button on, and the heatings fine again.

This is confusing!!

Its part number 8 on here http://www.vagcat.com/epc/cat/au/A3/2000/201/56/2406499/

Trying to do mine at the mo, its the flap underneath the pollen filter that is getting stuck. Do you think that it is a faulty motor then??

yes definately was the motor. Dealers quote £70 but i got one for 40 from the local scrappies. Works perfect now!

Assuming that your car is RHD, is the motor on the side nearest to the wing on the side of the flap? Also what did you have to remove to get to the motor? If its where I think it is (On the left hand side of the flap) it looked like a right ****** to get to.

yeah my car is RHD. All you need to remove is the glovebox and then remove the blower motor. To remove the positioning motor, its one 6mm bolt and then the rest of it is clips (one where the motor is attached to the upper flap). If you twist the motor down, it will then come out. if your local i can help.

Im in London mate, thanks anyway though. Is the motor the bit on the left hand side of the upper flap?? Ive got the glove box and the blower motor out, just having trouble getting to the positioning motor.

Thanks mate, Ill have a go as soon as I can find a motor.