high mileage remap? and boost afterwards? on a 1.8T A3

Prawn

My other car is a MINI!!!!
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Hey guys.

after looking into all options, ive decided i want to go with the revo stage 1 software for my 1.8T, and luckily, JKM performance, the local revo dealer are only a few miles from my house.

im thinking of popping in soon to speak to them about it. also, i will be 4miles from revo HQ in daventry in a few weeks, is it worth speaking to them direct?

i just thought id ask on here, so i know what to expect.

my car is really high mileage, with 133k on the clock so far.

that said, it runs like its brand new, is deadly smooth, and hardly uses a drop of oil, theres no smoke from the turbo under even the hardest acceleration (checked by my mate following behind) its had a good life, with many motorway only miles, and constant audi dealer services its entire life. sinse owning it, ive been changing the oil every 3k miles too, to keep it super clean.

however, it is the older AGU cable throttle engine.

how well do these respond to remaps? most opinions ive seen relate to the later DBW cars.

i recently had a final drive explode whilst cruising down the A31, which was very nicely replaced by audi FOC. so its had a brand new gearbox/finaldrive and flywheel and clutch 700 miles ago, so the clutch shouldnt be an issue.

will my car be able to cope with the remap considering its high mileage? i THINK the turbo has been reconditioned at some point, the previous owner said it had been around 100k, although i havnt seen any proof of this at all.

i recently installed a boost gauge, to monitor boost proir to having the car remapped. it appears to be boost around 6psi normally when i floor it around town in 1st and 2nd, rising to around 7-7.5 when up to higher speeds and under higher loads on the motorway. does this sound about right?

what boost will the car run after a revo stg1 remap?

by the time the remap is done, the only mods will be a CAI kit, already fitted, a milltek cat-back system (back box on, rest to be purchased), and a forge 007 diverter valve.

what sort of power and torque figures should i expect? and what sort of overall difference in the way the car drives?

sorry to post such a common question, but ive searched, and cannot find anything about boost after a remap, or anything about the REVO software on older AGU engines.

thanks in advance

Nick

the 1.8t engines are bullet proof, although i think it would be better if you had a custom map because you done all your engine mods

thanks sandip can you get a custom map on the older cable throttle engines? i know the maps cant be flashed on via the data port on teh centre console, and the ecu has to be removed to be chipped.

would a cold air induction and a catback exhaust system warrant a custom map?

theres a guy in rochdale 'chip wizard' his names wayne , my dad has had his 1996 1.8t done by him on the dyno that has the cable throttle, its running around 200bhp. what sort of induction kit have you got and exhaust?

The induction kit is a Bomz one, which is basicly identical to the neuspeed one a load of people seem to use in america, it consists of a polished alu pipe taking the air filter around the battery and mounting it inside the front bumper, very low down.

its almost identical in shape to the carbonio system, and uses a massive cone filter just like almost all common cold air systems.

the exhaust is a milltek catback system for the 1.8T engine, the backbox is the discrete version made for the mk4 golf 1.8T, fitted onto my A3 to keep it looking OEM

good job! i had the carbonio when i had my mk4 golf, i got to tell you though my dads turbo went about 25k after he had it mapped because of the oil feed pipe to the turbo got clogged and he changes his oil every 7k with 0w40! he had it mapped around 80k its now 120000 and running superb. just check if your cars oil feed pipe doesn't need doing

I thought you said high mileage? Just about run in I would say. Motorway miles and regular oil changes are good.
Mine's knocking on for 140k on original engine, turbo, clutch, gearbox and ~230bhp/330Nm for the last 30k+. No noticable oil consumption either.

Have a chat to Doug at MRC Tuning (doug@mrctuning.com or 01295 277308) I know they can remap a 1.8T non DBW.

140k on the original clutch and box? with that kinda torque? blimey.... thats impressive. isnt the box a little slack now?

my car is somehow on its 3rd gearbox so far!

the previous owner blew it up at 110k, and it had a new one 18months ago, then the new one blew up just 2k after i got it!!!! having done less than 20k miles....

very odd.

anyway, its now got a new box/clutch/flywheel, so im sure thatll all be fine :)

133k isnt high milage isit? 150k+ is, but if its serviced properly then i still wouldnt call it high miler!

haha, fair do's then, i guess its not SO high afterall....

what sort of stage is the bottom end likely to be in after that mileage?

anyone know what kinda boost to expect after the remap?

thanks

Nick

The bottom end should look great with those miles, if the oil has been changed that regularly.
When I changed the sump on mine at ~120k, it all looked good, and the oil pick-up pipe was all clear.
The gearbox is still good, although the dog bone mount could maybe do with a change.
Even all the hard launches at the GTI International sprint don't seem to have worried the clutch.

I'm not sure how much boost you should expect on your car. The guy I know that had his non-DBW car remapped didn't have a boost gauge. He got 195bhp on 95RON and 205bhp on 98RON.
Mine is running more or less 1.4 bar. I had it mapped at this time of year, and the gains can be very impressive with the cool crisp air.