wax and polish

stressfrees3

Reaction score
whats the best product to use for the wax and polish process. autoglym, meguires, turtle wax, zymol etc. I've been using super resin polish and extra wax by autoglym but it seems to last no more than two weeks, three max.
suggestions please. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

okay, from what i've heard is, this is the order of supremacy...

the best is swissol (but costs about £60 a pot!),
then comes 'proper' zymol (which costs about £40 a pot),
then comes halfords zymol (which i've just bought at £12 - haven't used yet), then autoglym (have been using 'super resin polish' followed by 'extra gloss protection' - they totaled about £15 - good shine when you use both, but a lot of hard work).

the top two are supposed to be s**t hot, but i dunno about you but i can't afford them!! i'm lookin forward to the halfords zymol, it supposed to be better than autoglym, but i'd be happy if it equaled it as it requires less work. some people reckon mequirs is quite good, but i've heard its not as good as autoglym. some people also reckon mer is good, but i'd say its okay but i hate the amount of dust it seems to produce.

its also worth noting that autoglym is a polish, where as the others are waxes. the differences being that polish takes the top layer offf the paint (kind of like a mild t-cut), where as wax is a protectant layer. if you have older paint its worthwhile using a polish followed by a wax, but on a brand new car i'd just use wax.

these are my own opinoins gathered from listening to others and seeing some of the products used. i'm sure there'll be a pro valeter on here who will be able to confirm or disagree with my views.

I always used to use Autoglym as it doe give a nice finsh, but wanted to get something better so after a lot of research I bought a Zymol titanium wax starter kit. In the Summer it is amazing, it gives really deep gloss that does last well however it does not like going in our current cold weather (the owners manual tells you it has to be applied above X degrees celcius (I can't remember the exact temprature).

When my A3 was delivered in September, the paint had fine sctraches in all over from the valeters doing the worst job I have ever seen (not nice on a brand new car), I needed to get something at short notice that would get the fine scratches out of the paint so I bought the Meguires 123 products. While they are not quite as good as the Zymol, it is nearly there, and as the Meguires only cost about £35, and the Zymol came to around £110 I guess the Meguires is better value.

Ade

My Dad has just got a Swissol starter pack, which includes the Onyx Wax.

It the dogs...completley different league to anything else I've used

Personally I think Autoglym is awful stuff. The polish (i.e. the shine) does not last for very long and the white residue that its left after polishing is really bad.

My first choice would be Zymol, then Zaino, then Meguiars. Meguiars is a fantastic alternative to AutoGlym for the price. See the AutoCare forum for more info.

I have just noticed that this forum is sponsored by a Meguiars supplier!

Hi Guys,

Just thought I would mention Clean and Shiny has just been made an official UK supplier of Zymol.... The catalogue will on line soon!!

We started off supplying Meguiars as we felt that the range of products gave superb results for the money. Obviously there has been a demand via the live help on the site as well as emails asking whether we are going to supply Zymol.

So you want it you got it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Personally I prefer Swissol, Zymol gets similar results but swissol is easier to apply and remove. Price-wise they are similar and both do a range of waxes starting at about £40 up to about £1200. I have a tub of swissol saphir wax which was £68 and has done a good 10 waxings and is still 2/3rds full. I agree they are pricey but then so was my S3, I don't suppose many people on here use turtlewax or halfords own, so why not go the whole hog - it does last and the results are stunning.

As far as meguiars goes - i have no experience but it is mainly a petrochemical product much like autoglym, zymol and swissol are both natural ingredient based. They also have a much higher carnuba wax content than meguiars hence meguiars stage 3 is a liquid or paste rather than a tub of wax.

At the end of the day you pays yer money.......

looked at swissol and it says i need to use a pre wax treatment so it works out exspensive

Tom but you need to wash the car in between waxing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If you just want Wax go for the Gold Class Wax /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Regards,