S3 problems maybe the diff not sure??

Jiny_P

Reaction score
Was driving S3 a couple of weeks ago and all of a sudden the car starts knocking only when its turning though doesnt seem to happen in a straight line and also sounds like its coming from the back? doesnt seem to have lost power but when it starts knocking it also feels like its catching on something dont sound good, had it on the ramp but cant hear anything only happens when its on the ground, has anyone had the same problem? any advice would be much appreciated need to get the car back on the road. Thanks

Maybe a wheel sensor, is it a real loud Knocking or more of a sort of dull twangy noise?

read something about this on here few weeks ago. they said it did it in reverse on full lock. think it was hadlex problem.

yes they did. if the car tries to stop moving, even stalls, when going backward with full lock, it's supposed to be the haldex that is gone to the junk yard in the sky.

Either the ARBs need replacing (common fault), driveshaft gaiter has come away (been a **** and driven it too hard) or NSF top shock mount could be knocking (was going to happen at some point). Admittedly I had all these problems and they caused knocking sounds in my car. For the haldex try reversing on full lock either way, if it prevents you from doing so get it looked at; VAG.COM doesn't pick it up, so someone with a haldex sensor needs to have a look.

is it the ARBs or the ARB bushings jester?
and by driveshaft gaiter do you mean the rubber boots covering the driveshaft joints?

Pass, I had them changed under warranty a while back.

Yeah the rubber boots, mine came away and caused more of a grating sound followed by knocking shortly after cost me £15 for the part and £155 for the labour.....for each side!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry if i sound thick wot is ARB??