S3 Vs Remapped TDi 130

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkyS3

Reaction score
Hi peeps i really dont want to sound like a chav or a racer but my mate has just bought a 225bhp S3 and he wanted a little race and from 40-110 mph there exactly the same i couldnt belive it!!!

Rev-head said:
there is something wrong with his right foot:lmfao:

should have matched him until the first gear change and the S3 should scurry off into the distance.

honestly ive drove the s3 and bear in mind mine is around 180bhp and a bit more torque???

neither of us can get over it!!! i test drove a cupra r before the audi and there not alot quicker at FCS my mates tdi 130 mapped to what angel tuning say 180bhp was doing 0-60 in 7.1 with printouts!! 6.6 i belive the s3 is not that much diff

320nm 1800rpm so ive been told by the mapping company!!

would you like me to scan my audi owners manual and post a picture of it?

your right a4 quattro i was told that my engine was 229nm std and taken upto 320nm ive been lied to but anyway it goes well and like i said the race i had i kept with the s3 well!!

ahhh sorry my big mistake he said 229 ib-ft upto 320 ib-ft

lb-ft* would that make sense im new to these superior diesel engines

i wouldnt lie to any of you i just would never ever spend twice the amount on an s3 on insurance running cost everything else!!! just buy a PD 130 which will live longer and aint hardly slower!!!

I had a tdi170 sportback rental car in Germany last week and I have my S3 over here this week. Flat out top speed is not much difference tbh, I had 144 on the GPS yesterday in the S3, still had a few mph I reckon, 136 in the TDI, flat as a fart at that speed!
I am not sure there should be any surprise in this, a PD13o with 180hp and 320ft of torque vs an s3 with 225hp and about 230ft of torque.....! Seems pretty equal to me!! In fact I would not be surprised if some remapped PDs are a fair bit quicker than a stock s3.

Mind you , map the S3 and I am sure it would be Bye bye!

My Revo'd TDI 150 only felt about as quick as my 225 S3 before I got that remaped so I doubt the 130 would be as fast as the S3, mid range its good but the diesels run out of puff too quickly for my liking.

ive had a go against a tdi also and after i nearly hit him in the rear when he changed gear so soon then the cars were closer than I expected

doesnt the s3 only have 205lb/ft of torque?

taking that into consideration im not really too surprised it was that close. Although id still expect the expect the S3 to pull away at some point.

cant wait till i get an s3 at the lights in my recently remapped A3!!

a remapped 150 is a bit slower than the standard S3 i'm afraid.
a remapped 180 on the other hand can (and should) be faster than a std. S3.
about the remapped tdi, sounds about right to me...

oh and ofcourse as simch said, map the S3...bye bye

You want diesel power... eat this!
audi-r10-788879.jpg

ak quattro454. Where abouts in west London are you. Have I seen your car in Hammersmith?

My mate's 12v Corsa beat an F40 from a standing start once.

Okay, okay, the F40 was parked in a showroom car park with nobody driving it :jester:

Update to top speed!!

Took the s3 out last night on the autobahn from Dortmund toward Kassel and saw a GPS speed of 150mph! It stayed at 149 for ages and ages, really weird overtaking trucks on dual carriageway foot glued to the mats, at about 100mph faster than them..........(eeek), but hen 150 came up, it was on a very slight incline downwards, but only very slight and to be fair its where i hit 136 in the TDI 170 last week. So thats 14mph more....? Seems about right at the top end.
But still agree some mapped diesels are very quick. I had a go in Jabba's Skoda VRS with hybrid turbo, FMIC and lots of ampping work, running 237bhp, and it was very quick indeed, but deceptively fast too, as the revs run out still so quickly (4800). But you look down at the speedo and 100mph comes up very quickly indeed!

well it could be.
i sometimes go through hammersmith, then jump on the m4 to get home from kingston.
when did you see it, cuz ive not gone that way for a while

u say it was a 40-110 race. with the torque on the mapped tdi id agree it should be a close call.

if it was a standing start it may have been rather different with the super short verging on useless 1st gear in our tdi's.

I really should pull my finger out and have a re-map.

from a standing start the S3 should beat a tdi 130 hands down due to it's gearing & the use of the haldex system - but from 40mph the higher torque of the tdi (especially a mapped one) may be enough to keep up with an S3.

won't stop me trading in my oil burner for an S3 in a few months though :)

lol im really annoyed because my clutch slipped once only once tho its either just a slight failure or its on its way out hope its a one of altho it only did it once then drive 130miles trying everything to get it to do it again bt it didnt!!

I have just come from a Ibiza 130 pd ;)

Mine had a little work done and was running 225bhp & 316 Lbs/ft

It was very quick but as with all diesels run out of revs.

I traded up as I'm not doing the miles now and got ****** at all the smoke from the back every time I put my foot down!

marka3130 said:
i wouldnt lie to any of you i just would never ever spend twice the amount on an s3 on insurance running cost everything else!!! just buy a PD 130 which will live longer and aint hardly slower!!!

Regardless of the 'this is quicker than that between 44.6 and 51.3mph' arguement, you get a damn site more car with an S3. I'm not slagg1ng off diesels as they have their place, but you can't compare two cars by saying this is half a second quicker so its better....a colleague of mine drives a lotus elise 111s which is a good second quicker to 60 than my S3, but there's no ****** chance i'd swap!

im just trying to make a point why spend sooo much more on everything running costs for no better performance?? oh and its the same car except 4wd

well name some differences then??? oh that warrent twice the cost???

- Bigger bumpers (front and rear)
- Wider arches (all round)
- Boot spoiler
- Side sills/skirts (whatever you call them)
- Recaro leather seats
- Self levelling Xenon lights
- Bigger brakes
- S3 Badges (yes they do mean something when it is one)
- A K04 turbo
- Remap potential to 260bhp + 300lbft torque
- Genuine chrome mirrors (on some)

...and this isn't even getting into the options which most carry. I get the distinct feeling you've never seen one nor been in one so you probably won't appreciate what I'm saying anyway. Get in one and see for yourself.

And how are they twice the cost? I've just bought a 2003 S3 with 40k on the clock for £13.5k, go on Autotrader and 130PD S-Lines on an 03 with 38k on the clock are up at £10.5 - £11k. I don't make that half....

Insurance for me on the diesel certainly wouldn't be £300, which would be half my S3 insurance. Ok so servicing might cost more, but most of that would be the 4wd I would suspect.

Nuff said....

My old car (went on Friday to the garage in the sky) was diesel a 130PD Golf with approx 225Bhp and 353 lbs/ft. It could eat Standard R32's/ S3's for breakfast (NOT off the line of course) but there is only so much wheel spinning you can do in 3rd gear before you get annoyed. My car was my baby and i loved it but a lot of money and time went into getting it that fast and powerful and i had an awful lot of probs with it to. I am getting an S3 as it is that fast out of the factory and with a remap will be lovely. The running costs on my diesel were horrendous and i am looking foreword to just servicing and putting fuel in, without having an engine mount or a clutch break every week! A remapped 130PD might keep up to an S3 but i would not compare the 2 cars.
/2p

my clutch slipped once today and im very ****** off now might get the map taken off!!! cant afford to be replacing clutches all the time tbh!!! altho after it slipped the once i tried everything to get it to do it again just driven 130 miles and nothing??? ideas??

angel tuning say it must be my clutch gone but i dont believe it car was fine before and its done 68k

Mark,

The S3 is the top of the line model for the A3 series - it was meant to have more toys, better performance and be better specced (spelling??) when it left the factory - thats why they cost more to buy in the first place. :meeting:

Don't get me wrong, i love my A3 TDI to bits and i like the balance of performance and economy it delivers but it's never going to be an S3 regardless of how much cash i put into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.