S3 Vs Remapped TDi 130

Status
Not open for further replies.
ye but i know what your sayin i jus like watching s3 owners faces when they cant get away from me and im stuck to there bumper!!

As somebody who owns a remapped, reasonably high spec A3 TDI quattro, I'd swap it for an S3 in a heartbeat! (If it wasn't for all these blooming miles I find myself driving these last few years that is!)

The S3 is still something special in my opinion, regardless of how similar in performance it might be to some diesels.

S3 is 10 times the car

I had a mk3 Ibiza Cupra.. running 220bhp k03s turbo, fmic and revo etc etc

and getting into the S3 is such a more comfortable, refined, well specced car compared to the small Ibiza.

there are much more cars out there quicker than a tdi ibiza, and half the price, oh.. and whats that I smell... oh that would be your clutch :p

s3 is a better car def and no i havent raced a remapped s3 because that would kill me but the point im making is it has more power and its petrol but still cant match the PD 130!!!

But it can match the 130, yours is remapped?

marka3130 said:
s3 is a better car def and no i havent raced a remapped s3 because that would kill me but the point im making is it has more power and its petrol but still cant match the PD 130!!!
well.. why not compare std to std??

i could get have a modified mini which is lower power than your 130 to start with and have a race and whoop your ***

same principle, you have a modified ibiza vs a std S3, hardly a good comparison

marka3130 said:

Keep taking the pills mate...

In the time I had my S3 I never come accross a 130PD that would hold it off...
And my old man had a 130 PD GT TDI Mk4 Golf at the time, so I know how they compare (2nd gear, off roundabouts the PD would hold it's own...then it'd run out of revs and that was the last of it's limited 'challenge')

But hey, if it makes you sleep better at night thinking you have a 130PD thats got S3 performance...then good for you. Go for your life...

It's all about the area under the graph (power and torque)...basic physics and gearing tells you all you need to know.

LOL Ess your a genuis on here everything you say is straight to the point and makes sense!

And marky my advice is to drive an S3 then repost what you think i think you'll be pleasntly suprised, then drive a remapped one and its a totally different kettle of fish!

Jason

yup, an S3 without a remap is actually an S2.5 IMHO...

BTW, everyone has forgotten the major rear susp. difference between the 2WD and 4WD A3s... we have independent rear suspension hoooraayyy!!!

Like I said I have come from a modded Ibiza TDi(225bhp)
The S3 is such a different car ;)
Yes I now only get 30mpg and had 45 in the TDi
BUT..........It's smooth,better drive,no creaking dash,no banging over bumps,relaxing,it's just a better built car :)

@ Marka who mapped your car?
Can't you get them to reduce the torque a little to help your clutch slip?
Mine had the Sachs uprated clutch but it did need it!

225bhp Ibiza?? Must have spent some money to get it to that. Allard conversion by any chance?

yep S3 is the ultimate luxury hot hatch.

and im not surpirsed your having clutch problems. ive seen on other forums (especially uk-mkivs.net) where all the Golf pd owners have done remaps and ended up with huge amounts of torque (+300lb/ft) and there clutch is suffering almost immediately.
I dont think it can handle too many standing starts with that much torque

i personally think going through all that trouble just too keep up with an s3 is not worth it.

Im definately looking to get one in the future ive seen the difference of a remap in my car. a remapped s3 mus be unbelieveable.

A remapped TDi has more torque than me. Which one's fastest?

Besides, I think the thing somepeople are forgetting is that going fast is more than just a straight line thing.

My Revo'd PD150 MK4 needed a new clutch after 7000 miles,ended up buying sachs clutch. I think i would have given an S3 a good run for its money on country roads but would rely on the the size of the cahooona's. I had a race with a 225 Cupra R down the motorway. At 100mph it came passed me like I was stood still - must have been remaped.

My mate reckons my remaped S3 is faster than his manual boosted GT4

ess-three you make me laugh i have drove my mates s3 and mine is as fast END OF. i have twice the torque he does and a little less hp 180bhp!!

marka3130 said:
ess-three you make me laugh i have drove my mates s3 and mine is as fast END OF. i have twice the torque he does and a little less hp 180bhp!!

Very much doubt it! And what speeds are you comparing? And corners? Like I said, you have more torque than me, are you saying yuor car is faster than mine?

marka3130 said:

and??? your comparing modified VS std....

turn your map off and see where it gets you??????

or talk about racing a remapped S3 vs a remapped 130tdi.

marka3130 said:

PMSL!!!

ANY car can be modified.

The TDi's are great (for what they are), but their drivers tend to be invinsible.......................for about 1200rpm.

How on earth did you manage to get tucked-up in such a major way with the remap 'improvement' figures?

The S3 is the all-round package, and can be had for very sensible money these days ANYway.

marka3130 said:

Oh this guys a gem.....

dultanur said:
yup, an S3 without a remap is actually an S2.5 IMHO...

BTW, everyone has forgotten the major rear susp. difference between the 2WD and 4WD A3s... we have independent rear suspension hoooraayyy!!!

Mine still handles like a **** in the bath though!! Bobs about a lot and its scary trying to grab hold of it!:)

marka3130 said:

It's nearly half past one...have you taken your medication today?

If your 130PD is as fast, your mates S3 is broken
Or he can't drive for toffee.

And you have twice the torque?
You have 400+ lb-ft?
Wow...that's some 130PD.
I think not...

If you know anything about reading power and torque graphs, and understand gearing, you'll work out that it just aint gonna hapen.

As fast in 2nd, off roundabouts, to the point your soot chucker hits it's governer...yes.
As fast on a rolling sprint, in top, from 50 MPH...yes.
As fast, period? :lmfao:

130PDs chipped are quick over their limited rev band...but having driven enough of them, they aint S3 quick.

Now, you go take your pills before the men in white coats bring you an 'I love me' jacket and pop you in a padded room.

simch said:
Mine still handles like a **** in the bath though!! Bobs about a lot and its scary trying to grab hold of it!:)

Have you driven an A3 - especially a diesel one?
Or a Mk4 Golf (same platform)?

****** awful they are...wallowy, floppy, understeery, non-precise...

The S3 may be a wallowy, numb, understeery old hector, but when you get it by the scruff of the neck and throw it about, making the Haldex work...it's still WAY quicker than an A3/Mk4 Golf - especially one fitted with the heavy PD diesel engine.

My 50cc Go ped caned my dad Jepetos 993 GT2 round the Nurburgring.

Honestly.

Pinnochio.

:undwech:

Guys, I think what this guy is saying is that for a fair bit less than an S3, you can buy a similar year PD130 golf / bora, spend 500 quid on a map, and have a car that is about as quick in a straight line.
Lots of people buy S3s a leave them stock. You pay a premium for what looks on paer to be a performance car, and has a nice badge and IS without doubt a very nice car. But to be quite honest, i was a little disspointed with mine performance wise when I first got it. Thought the K04 225hp would be able to hold its own against a similar powered K03 s golf........no chance. The gearbox helps by keeping it spinning, but I am surprised how quick the golf still is, 130k miles, now!

But S3s are a fair bit more than pure performace, we all know if that was all that is important, for the same cash we'd all have Evo 8s!

S3 made more sense to me on my recent 600 mile trip to Germany. And it is a bit more special than a lot of cars out there, even if its only us owners that know it!!

I'd be careful of challenging a remapped PD 130 to a drag race in a stock S3 225....!!?! And certainly careful of a remapped PD150! I know at Inters there were some mapped diesels doing sub 15s and a lot in low 15s!! ...!

I once had a play with a Zonda along a 15 mile stretch of backroad near my home (true story)...and I kept up with him.
So I can keep up with a Zonda.
Woohoo.

Er, no. Of course I can't....he just didn't want to send his £350k Pagani into a field via a very rough looking hedge...

Maybe I should claim it as a 'scalp' though?

simch said:
Guys, I think what this guy is saying is that for a fair bit less than an S3, you can buy a similar year PD130 golf / bora, spend 500 quid on a map, and have a car that is about as quick in a straight line.

sure I could buy the likes of a Nissan s14a 200SX for say £3500, £180 on a boost controller, and have guts of 250bhp, which will inilaite a PD130 Golf/bora/ibiza remapped or not.

and £3500 is a fair bit less than a 130tdi gold/bora/ibiza

its the whole package that you gotta look at here

marka3130, to avoid a further bashing, you really need to clarify what you mean by saying that the remapped PD is as quick as an S3.

The PD's are geared to mop up all that torque and make them quickest for in-gear accelleration. I'd not dispute that a remapped PD, even a standard PD, could beat me in my standard s3 from 70-90. But from 0-90? No.

Your mate's S3 only needs a pin-hole leak in the boost pipes, or a tired MAF sensor,...................then it will suffer big time BTW.

As if anyone really cares.....

It's all said in good humour.

I for one just dont disbelieve what this guy says for a minute, I think his original post said they were pretty much neck and neck from 40 to 110mph! I think that honestly sounds exactly what i would expect. He seemed surprised, evryone bashing him seems to maybe not believe him, and therefore may themselves be surprised.........because it really is about right.....!! No 4wd transmission loss, about 60% more torque, say 50hp less.......but how much quicker on a quarter mile si a chipped S3 compared to a stock S3 maybe half a second, 4 or5 car lenghts or so......I dunno, just asking. be surprised if its much more tbh!
Take ouot the beneficial effect of a 4wd off the line, (they were rolling) and i just dont see how anyone can think what this guys says is not true. He is clearly suprised by it, that's all!
I ahd a 170tdi A3 here last week in Germany, very close in rolling on performace on the autobahn to my stock S3, op to say about 130mph anyway.

Not had a deisel ever, but have driven a fair few tweaked ones, all very impressive I have to say, considering you can still get 45mpg out of them too!

i agree with simch.
U guys have blown it out of proportion, took the **** and forgotten what he originally said and that is that his car is as quick 40-110 as his mates S3.
His car is chipped, his mates is not, he told us that much.
He was clearly presenting the facts, they were neck in neck 40-110.
I believe that what he says is true, and all this lets settle it at pod rubbish.....the only way to settle it at pod is to get them both rolling at 40 and then give it the boot ( & then they wont get to 110 anyway ). Marka knows as well as we do that there is no way he will keep on the S3 from a standing start, Hence is original claim that there was nothing in it 40-110.
Also, all this "the S3 isnt just about the speed etc". That is true, it is by far the better car as marka said himself but the thread starts with my car is as fast as an S3 40-110 NOT my car is faster better stronger and handles better than an S3.

It has all gone a bit off topic IMO

Thats my bit anyway.

piinocchiio.jpg

Sit on my face and i'll tell you a lie bitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.