AH FabricationsEM Tuning

Thread: S3 "goes home!"

6th Gear

Status

S3 "goes home!"

Was working out here in Germany last week, flew form Bham to dussledorf then rented a car to drive on to the client about 20 miles past Dortmund.

I left at 4.30am for the 7am flight, arrived at the company at 12.25 German time, 11.25 uk, so just short of 7 hours door to door.

Wiht the rumoured BA strike planes got full up so on Saturday I booked Eurotunnel and decided to take the car. Was a toss up between MK4 (modded would have been fun on the bahn) and S3 as snow forecast I though 4wd would be useful, so set off from home at just gone 2pm yesterday afternoon.
    Not been on tunnel for years, man its excellent, I did the Flexiplus with the lounge and lunch and priority service (hey, company is paying). Also got breakdown cover all for 330, compared to 550 for the flight!!
    total door to door was 576miles, (including a 50 mile detiour as the E14 was closed at Eindhoven, pesky Dutch)!

DIS showed average speed of 75mph, total drive time was 6h 51 minutes. Arrived at just shy of 11pm Germany time, so about 7hours 50mins door to door, but without the detour, i was set to arrive some 30 minutes earlier. Average MPG was 27.8 which I thought was pretty good, generally cruised (love cruise!!) at about 80 -90 mph through France belgium, nearer 80 in holland, (land of the speed ticket!) and nailed it in Germany, 100+ most of the time! I only stopped for fuel, Once on M25, and the other in Belgium. Found it comfortable and did not need to stop, so carried on.

Had a couple of "high speed runs", (it was raining and near 0 degrees so was careful) but got 144mph on the GPS, indicated about 152mph. i think it would have got another couple or three mph, that was on the flat. But it was two lanes a bit wet and there I have found in the past you sit htere foot glued to the boards and without warning there is an 80kmh restiction appears...........!!
    Overall, pleased I brought the S3, noticed how comfy the seats are on long trips and how quiet the car is overall. Makes me even more determined to make sure any mods I do keep it running quite quiet on crusie........hmmmm, custom three box exhaust needed I think!

No snow yet but due Thur, so fridays drive back may not be as easy!i!!

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Nice operation.
    Jester
    "On my second S3 and loving it. RS3 here I come!!!"