Help! Will This Engine Fit??

Fandango80

Reaction score
Guys.

Found an engine on ebay to replace my busted one...

Mine is a V plate (1999-2000) A3 1.8 Quattro Turbo Sport with drive by wire ( i heard the drive by wire gives some extra power!!??)

The one i found is from a 2003 A4 1.8 Turbo with drive by wire but is not a quattro.
So...
1.Will this engine fit? ie. mountings,
2.Will my ecu be compatible with it
3. Will i get my 180 BHP which i had before.

I can obviously change components from mine if this helps.

Cheers Lads

Dave.

The Engines in the A4 are mounted differently to the A3 floorplan, so it won't fit, but if you buy it to only use the internals etc, then it should work... lotta work though, and the 180BHP unit must be pretty rare.

So could i not use the mountings from my a3 and attach them to the new engine? The 180 bhp lumps were introduced to the quattro's when the drive by wire was adopted but yes im finding them hard to come by. Im so torn as its gonna cost me quite a bit in parts to repair my existing head. Argh!!!!

Cheers mate.

!!!! Just found an S3 lump for 2Grand!!!!. Comes complete with gearbox and is described as a conversion package so il get all the gubbins and ecu etc. Is it worth a go or is that silly money considering the value of the car wont be more than 5 grand?... Simple transplant or total nightmare?? It is the 225 bhp version!!!

Fandango80 said:
!!!! Just found an S3 lump for 2Grand!!!!. Comes complete with gearbox and is described as a conversion package so il get all the gubbins and ecu etc. Is it worth a go or is that silly money considering the value of the car wont be more than 5 grand?... Simple transplant or total nightmare?? It is the 225 bhp version!!!

How much is it going to cost to fix your engine?

That's £2k for the S3 lump, but how much labour to fit it? Then you'll have a car registered as an A3TQ with an S3 lump, that'll make selling a little trickier.

If you don't have the technical know how for an engine swop (even a relatively straight-forward one), then i'd get talking to the mechanic who's going to do it and make sure they know EVERYTHING that's involved and can give an accurate estimate of the labour involved.

Also, at least with the engine you've got you'll know that once valves/pistons are sorted and it's cleaned up a bit that it'll be fine (assuming everything else was ok before the belt broke). Any other engine might have it's own issues, and warrantied or not it could take a lot of time or labour cost to discover an issue.

Surely any VW golf or seat 1.8T motor of a smiliar vintage could be fit? I think you will find one in a VW or other breakers for around the £500 mark.

You really only need the block and head, use everyhting else off the old motor.
Gives you some pennies to spend on a cambelt and waterpump swap before you fit it then, so it does not ahppen again!!
2k is a lot of dosh to then have to mess about fitting it, its possible but you can get similar power from a remapped stock motor with a K 03sport turbo.
So if you can source a 180hp golf motor or even a K 03 sport turbo for a 150hp one,its simple to fit to a bare motor before dropping it all in.

Skoda 1.8T out of an Octy would of course fit too.

Im fairly mechanical and have transplenated an engine into my 74 mini. Also rebuilt the head on a vectra, golf and an old megan so can do the job either way but it will cost about 600 for the parts. Add another 400 onto that for the revo to get it to max of 218BHP and that is half the price of the s3 lump. Thing is though, an s3 lump has more potential for bigger HP later on. 2k is a hell alot of cash in one go though. So would the internals off a 180bhp motor would be the same as the 150 bhp then? like valve size and position? im not totally sure where they get the extra 30 HP from? Is it just the ECU program or does the drive by wire help?

Basically the 225 gets it's extra ponies over a 180 in the following ways:

Bigger Turbo (K04 instead of K03s).
Second Intercooler
ECU Map

Yes, the 225 has more tuning potential.

It's all about money. If you can afford it then go for it.

A remapped 1.8TQ will feel like a stock S3, but cost YOU £1000 less at this point.

What happened to the head in the first place? And what parts do you need?

Water pump seized stripping the teeth off the cam belt

Costed up the parts and its gonna be min of 700 for just parts alone
the valves are 30 quid each so the 700 is based on 6 valves. Could well be more. there is a possibility of piston dammage which could cost a whole lot more.

The guy selling the a4 1.8t lump as previously mentioned said it will fit fine but i will have to put my turbo, inlet and wiring/ecu on it. I will need to use my own mountings apparently but no problems there. Its only done 14,000 miles so the clutch should be pretty sweet too.
Think im gonna steer away from the s3 lump reluctantly cos im trying to save a deposit for a house- sick of renting! hehe. Need to straighten my priorities. So easy to get swayed when you get some cash saved up.

Cheers for your help guys
Will let you know how i get on.

Dave.

Is that genuine valves that you have priced up? £30 each seems very expensive. Havent supplied any for an Audi before but havent ever sold any for more than about £16 each. Have you also checked that all of the valves are bent? Could save yourself a bit if not all of them need replacing.

I called the local stealer for the prices because ive found they are only a fraction more expensive and are much better quality- no point scrimping on parts for this kind of engine. I used to have an audi coupe and i changed the top mounts because they were ratteling. After fitting them the rattle was worse! i replaced them with Genuine audi parts and the problem was solved. I compared the new audi one with the euro car parts one and the dimensions matched. the difference was that the bearing in the non gen one had huge amounts of excessive play in the bearing. Needless to say il never use euro car parts again. I havent checked the valves yet because the day after it went i had to go to mexico for a job and this is where im at for thenext few weeks. (blimmin hot here! ;-) hehe. Not had a chance to check but i dont think the clearance in this engine is fail safe so i imagine if one has bent then at least 4 others are more than likely bent as well. Yeah true this could make it much cheaper if only a few are bent. I agree though 30 for a valve is pretty steep!!