Volks AutosChris Nott
    6th Gear

Status

s3 interior options

what do guys think of the cream leather? Ive yet to see it in person but thinks it looks ok from the pics. Black leather looks good, but quite a few examples r a bit creased an look tired etc. only seen the crazy blue interior in pics, but think it looks a bit nasty, might look ok for real tho.

steering wheels, is the multifunction one any good? what can u control from it? is it just he usual radio stuff? does it more desirable to have the multifucntion or 3 spoke one?

cheers
    Nick

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    My personal view, I much prefer the 3 spoke wheel, it looks and more importantly feels a lot sportier.
    I have recently changed my S3 wheel for a VW R32 wheel which are simply superb.
    Cream/beige leather? Much less desirable than Black IMHO, cream must be a nightmare to keep looking mint, although I bet its cooler on hot days than Black. I much prefer black nappa.
    Rarrrr! I'm not Lesdyxic!

There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't.

Clicky Here!

thinking about stuff

Status
    i really wanted a silver interior when i was looking for my S3. Look ace, but every one i saw was heavily worn and creased so went for the blue alcantara.

2001 Black RS4 - P11 LCC
    1992 Burgundy Pearl Corrado VR6 - A20 LEE

Neutral

Status
    Agree with above post (stewart) 100%

If you have kids ....avoid light coloured leather !
    Also wearing jeans can cause the leather to discolour!
    My mate used to drive with a cloth on his light coloured leather seats
    to avoid these problems!

Light coloured leather always looks good in pics and from a distance ....
    see it close up , opnion might change .....

6th Gear

Status
    no kids, and not for a few years yet i hope, an doubt i'll have an s3 by then, so rugrat mess is not a problem.

Is there a difference between black leather and black nappa? or is that just its proper name?

1st Gear

Status
    Personally I like the silver leather, if I had got a Red S3 (which I was after when I was looking) I wanted it with Silver leather ideally. In the end I got a yellow S3 with the Black and Yellow seats, which are a bit daring but I like them.

Stewart what does the R32 steering wheel look like, you got any pics?

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by nky_84
    no kids, and not for a few years yet i hope, an doubt i'll have an s3 by then, so rugrat mess is not a problem.

Is there a difference between black leather and black nappa? or is that just its proper name?
    Yes the smooth surfaced leather used by Audi is called Nappa.

The rougher almost suede effect leather is called Alacantra (E.g the blue/yellow etc inserts on the two tone interiors).

There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't.

Clicky Here!

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by joe6886
    Stewart what does the R32 steering wheel look like, you got any pics?
    Umm, it looks like an R32 wheel lol but seriously it doesnt look a lot different from the standard Audi 3 spoke but its a lot chunkier and more contoured around the thumb grips, feels awesome.

I sourced a new S3 badge off fleabay to replaced the 'R' badge but I'm still trying to find a decent badge to replace the VW in the center.

Clicky Here!

1st Gear

Status
    Oooh it does look chunky. Would annoy me having a VW badge in my Audi though.

6th Gear

Status
    just had a look at the r32 wheel, seems a strange thing to change, but each to their own i guess. £235 from an online shop

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by joe6886
    Oooh it does look chunky. Would annoy me having a VW badge in my Audi though.
    The benefit of the look and feel outweighs the temporary presence of the VW badge

I've got a few badges coming off fleabay, failing that I'll have a convex stainless disk made up, polish it and have 'S3' engraved on it.

Just hope I never have a crash and have the airbag deploy as the SS disk will probably shatter my skull lol

Clicky Here!

3rd Gear

Status
    just had a look at the r32 wheel, seems a strange thing to change, but each to their own i guess. 235 from an online shop
    I had one in my Golf and really missed it, you wouldnt believe how much of a difference it makes to your everyday driving. Much more comfortable...

Clicky Here!

s3 gone now a shiney red evo 6

Status
    This has to be the best interior, same as mine!! http://www.s-cars.org/postnuke/modul...view_photo.php

6th Gear

Status
    My dolphin S3 had silver leather and it was no problem with stains from jeans etc.

Yes it did need cleaning more due to the dirt being easier to spot but to be honest this probs looks after it more as if you had black leather you probs wouldn't clean it as much as you can't spot the dirt as easy!
    NOW - Audi S3 Facelift - Sprint Blue, RNS-E Sat Nav, SDS, Bluetooth Phone Prep, Bose, Cruise, Buckets, FBMFSW, Adaptive Lights, Int Light Pack, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Piano Black Inserts, Through Load, Auto Dim RV Mirror/Wing, Auto Wipers/Lights, Folding Door Mirrors, Heated Seats, Ipod Dock, Front Arm Rest, Rear/Front Parking Sensors, 1st Aid Kit, Rear Arm Rest, H + R Springs, Front 15mm Spacers, Rear 10mm Spacers.

6th Gear

Status
    got the silver leather in my S3. It looks nothing like cream or beige, more of a white colour - and i certainly wouldnt say its much less desirable than black. I have had no probelms with jeans marking the interior either. Wear wise, its perfect after 30k miles - it's just how you look after it. Keep the leather clean and supple and it will last a lifetime.

I've also got the leather multifunction wheel, and I was sceptical at first, but now i wouldn't be without one. You dont realise how dependant you become on it until you drive a car that doesnt have one and spend the whole time presssing non-existant buttons on the wheel..

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by madvw
    I've also got the leather multifunction wheel, and I was sceptical at first, but now i wouldn't be without one. You dont realise how dependant you become on it until you drive a car that doesnt have one and spend the whole time presssing non-existant buttons on the wheel..
    so what buttons are acutally on the wheel?

6th Gear

Status
    [QUOTE=madvw]got the silver leather in my S3. It looks nothing like cream or beige, more of a white colour - and i certainly wouldnt say its much less desirable than black. I have had no probelms with jeans marking the interior either. Wear wise, its perfect after 30k miles - it's just how you look after it. Keep the leather clean and supple and it will last a lifetime.
    [QUOTE]

Have to agree, my silver leather is still in good nick. A regular clean with Meguairs keeps it looking fresh. Admitteldy the side bolster has a bit of wear and tear but that is the most used part. Personally think the silver is the better colour especially in a dark coloured car. Looking at getting a new car and will be going for silver rather than black. Black makes the car too dark inside for my liking.
    Jester
    "On my second S3 and loving it. RS3 here I come!!!"

6th Gear

Status
    so what buttons are acutally on the wheel?
    on the left side you have next track, previous track and previous CD. On the right you have volume up, volume down and next CD. If you have a dension ice>link plus or a phatbox, it'll have the same control over that too. Its perfect for skipping tracks "accidentally" when the missus put some crap on...

3rd Gear

Status
    [QUOTE=jesters3]
    Quote Originally Posted by madvw
    got the silver leather in my S3. It looks nothing like cream or beige, more of a white colour - and i certainly wouldnt say its much less desirable than black.
    I said the Cream/beige interior was less desirable than black, not the silver.

I actually quite like the white/silver interior but it would obviously seem to get dirtier than black a lot quicker...

Clicky Here!

5th Gear

Status
    Apparently only the best quality hides will take a white/silver tanning so they are often better hides than the black ones.

My Imola came with black nappa leathers but they creased and looked crap IMO so I had the centres recovered in black alacantara which are a lot more comfortable and less slippy, I dont have to hang onto the wheel anymore when cornering.

@Stewart,
    Does the airbag still work on the R32 Wheel? Isn't it a little smaller too? Is it cheaper to buy somewhere else other than the dealers?

Thanks,
    N

Rrrrrrrr-tech

Status
    I've got the cream alactantra inserts with black leather surrounds (as in avatar) and the cream alacantra has worn really well, it does show the dirt a bit quicker but is easy enough to clean...and IMO it looks the dogs!
    > S3 225 (03) - OEM+
    > 205 GTI (90) - Limited Edition Miami Blue with full leather - 1 of only 300 made
    > Clio v6 255 (05) - Lethal Weapon

View: My S3 diary

1st Gear

Status

alacanta inserts..

hey dave,

did you get the white alacanta inserts done yourself? who did it?
    i've got the cream interior in a silver s3, cant say i've had any hassle with the above issues, look after it an it looks good. i just think light car dark interior an vice versa so am lookin at darker options!

anyone fancy a swap?? would travel???

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by nervus
    @Stewart,
    Does the airbag still work on the R32 Wheel? Isn't it a little smaller too? Is it cheaper to buy somewhere else other than the dealers?

Thanks,
    N
    No, you need the VW airbag, hence the need for another badge. The S3 badge on the bottom part of the rim looks great though.

You can get them for 199 by shopping around. An airbag between 90-140.

Clicky Here!

Big Ron

Status
    Stewart have you got a pic of the wheel in your car?

Smart Roadster 03
    Ford Sportka 05

Rrrrrrrr-tech

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdegrub
    hey dave,

i've got the cream interior in a silver s3, cant say i've had any hassle with the above issues, look after it an it looks good. i just think light car dark interior an vice versa so am lookin at darker options!

The alacantra is a cream colour, it came from factory but I think it may have been a special order on this car as I haven't seen many Ming Blue S3's with this interior.

No chance of a swap mate, the interior was one of the main reasons I bought the car! Nice try though ;-)
    > S3 225 (03) - OEM+
    > 205 GTI (90) - Limited Edition Miami Blue with full leather - 1 of only 300 made
    > Clio v6 255 (05) - Lethal Weapon

View: My S3 diary

1st Gear

Status

fair point...

yeah thot it was a long shot! nice though!

the leathers great but when your thrashin her its just too slippy! i take it you fair better with the alacantra?

any one got good experiances of recovering seats or am i better off tryin ta find someone ta swap with?

anyone??

Neutral

Status
    One of the main resaons for buying my S3 was the silver leather. I think it makes a good contrast with the Ming Blue.

Seems to wear well though does show up the dirt - nothing a quick clean can't fix.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdegrub
    hey dave,

Dolphin Grey - not dark not light ? Black leather
    2002 Dolphin grey S3 - Sym2+bose, heated leather, ally mirrors, R32 ARB's with superpro, Jabba stage 2 map, TFSI coils, Samco TIP, Forge DV & privacy glass

2010 Green Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R - Akrapovic baffleless race can, LED cluster & HID's

wanted for 8L S3:
    Unmarked grey rear bumper panel
    Milltek system

1st Gear

Status

i did mean the interior...

i did mean just swapping the iterior if you were thinkin cars? although if i had the choice again i'd look for a dolphin grey with black, my mates selling one now but after the 's i've spent on mine it'd never be worth it we must be off our heads...