Tinted Taillights?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO don't do it. Stay with the OEM, don't join the darkside

:haudrauf: :haudrauf: :haudrauf:

This is normaly done to fiesta's and the like, and it ends up looking like its covered in some wierd matt finish that looks like dust. and you can't see the lights properly either

God no dont do that to your rear lights.

The fronts can look good with a bit sprayed, but your better doing it yourself

lol I've got the smoked rear clusters on mine.....

Rearsmall.jpg

I think they look fine on silver! :mad: lol

Oh they were bought off the shelf like that, not sprayed.

silver75 said:
S car snobbery :beee::mad:
here here,, well said..
but that said, dont spray them, its looks cheap and tacky - spend the extra dough do what peltons done, get a decent set off the shelf

Ok thanks for the opinions everyone, it's sorta put me off the idea now which is probably best :D
I'm definitely doing my windows though :eyebrows:

im keeping standard ones. even tho pelotons looks good. altho i MAY tint them full red with the proper tail light stuff.

Peloton said:
lol I've got the smoked rear clusters on mine.....

I think they look fine on silver! :mad: lol

Oh they were bought off the shelf like that, not sprayed.

...get that sticker off and put an Audi-Sport one on

lol Don't worry it's an old pic. The stickers been swapped for the AS.net one for quite a while now although it's on the other side. Plus the daft shark fin ariel's been swapped for a 100mm 'tweety' job.

i'm thinking about tinting my rear light to knock back the bright red abit. Had a little play. What do you think?

standard
DSC02128b.jpg

red bit tinted
DSC02128e.jpg

all red
DSC02128c.jpg

all red then knocked back with black
DSC02128d.jpg

I'd keep em as they are, the slightly tinted lights will take away from the shine of the car when clean, and the all red and red with black just look like pre-facelift lights

I went ahead and did this after photoshopping a few pics and asking some people's opinions (yeah I know I said I wouldn't).

If you want to go ahead and tint your lights with a nice finish (that isn't dull), then follow this little guide I wrote especially for you! :icon_thumright:

You need:
Washing up liquid
Wet and dry (very fine sandpaper)
1-2 cans of tinting spray (such as 'Tail light tint' from Motorworld).
Clear Laquer spray (also available from Motorworld).
Car Wax & cloth

1. First of all take the tail lights out of your car by undoing the 4 bolts on the inside of the light (these were 8mm on mine).

2. Clean the tail light lenses with washing up liquid and water to get rid of any muck on them.

3. Wet the wet & dry paper and use it on the tail light lens until the lens looks all dull (don't worry about this - the clear laquer will make it all nice and shiney again) - this helps the tinting spray to stick to the lights easier.

4. Clean the lens with water (to get all of the sanding crap off it) and then leave it to dry completely.

5. Find a well ventilated area where dust and grit isn't going to get kicked up, shake up a can of tinting spray and then start spraying very thin layers of tint onto the light.

You should apply very thin layers to get the best results because if you spray too heavy then the tint may run (I probably did about 20 layers overall).

Aim the can away from the lights as you start spraying to ensure that you don't get big blotchy patches. Also it's best to spray both lights at the same time to make sure you get the same level of tint on both lights.

6. Once the lights are as dark as you want them (I stopped when mine looked black in normal lighting conditions), then leave them to completely dry for a few hours.

7. Once you've given them a few hours, it's time to apply the clear laquer, this will protect the tint from rubbing off and give you a nice shiney finish. Apply the laquer in exactly the same way as you did the tint (thin layers at a time and leaving 15-20 mins between layers). Once you've used about half a can then let the lights dry for about 12 hours (apparently the laquer is not completely effective until then).

8. Now break out the car wax and wax your newly tinted lights before reinstalling them into your car.

And that's all there is to it! :)