Whats this?

fluffsri

Reaction score
When i got out of the car this morning something was still running and its this in the pic but i have no idea what it is, can anyone shed some light on it please:uhm: , Thanks.

Its at the front near the top drivers side of the radiator

I believe it is a coolant pump that carries on for ten minutes after the car has stopped to reduce engine temp. Definitely nothing to worry about (unless it stays on permanently) mine does it even if i turn the engine on for a couple of seconds.

Aaron

ok related question: does it run everytime you turn off your engine? mine doesn't. is this a fault?

iirc mine runs every time i switch the engine on and off, even if it is only for a couple of seconds.

Aaron

Cheers guys you have put my mind at rest. As for doing it all the time, it doesnt seem to. Sometimes its on and sometimes its not. Just a thought though if this pump was faulty would it cause the bottom house to pop off of the radiotor?

dont think so. it just continues the water circulation to cool stuff down. so i dont think it will be fatal if it stopped working unless you really "give it the stick" and then shut it down immediately.

so anyone else? does your cars pump work everytime?

does for me, even if just moving the car a metre up the driveway - or thats the way is seems to me anyway.

sure mine makes a noise, i can hear the water gushing around for about 1 min after the engine turned off. some cars the rad fan even stays on after ignition is switched off. seen that before.

so whats wrong with mine? it works rarely and i cant tell under what cicumstances...so it cant be the motor...whats controlling this pump?

never noticed tis on my 2003 model? Not looked under the hood yet, but never heard anything whiring away when parked up!!
Mind you, I always drive the last mile home very gently and let the motor idle for 30 secs or so to let everything circulate to help cooling down.
CAnnot see anything in the manual about it either!! !

Thanks for the info - has put my mind at rest, I've heard it a few times!!

Aky said:
Thanks for the info - has put my mind at rest, I've heard it a few times!!

Yeah.........but I'm worried crapless now.........! Cheers v much!! (lol)

You think I could get a speaker set up thing off ebay with running water sound, a bit like the saxo "blow off valve" noise speaker things!. Fit that and put my mind at rest?

Daniel Vzla said:
Perhaps our cars came with turbo timer? mine does it too and leaves the fan on after taking the key out

It's not a turbo timer in the traditional sense, but yes, it's there to cool the turbo down after a run. Don't always notice it on mine.

Mine does the same. When I got my S3 a month ago I wondered why there was a noise still coming from under the bonnet as I was walking away from the car. I came back 15 mins later and the noise had stopped so I assumed it was cooling or something.

i'm like simch, always drive gently before parking...maybe thats why it doesnt always work...i hope ;)

Holy Moly, what do you know.........Mine DOES do this........but its so quiet, you have to have the hood up and listen very carefully to hear it!

How cool!
IS this only on the S3 spec motor, (mine is BAM) or do other 1.8Ys have it? Dont think I noticed it ever on the Mk4, but then I didn't on the s3 either.

Damned good idea considering how easy it is to knack a turbo with heatsoak!

simch said:
Holy Moly, what do you know.........Mine DOES do this........but its so quiet, you have to have the hood up and listen very carefully to hear it!

How cool!
IS this only on the S3 spec motor, (mine is BAM) or do other 1.8Ys have it? Dont think I noticed it ever on the Mk4, but then I didn't on the s3 either.

Damned good idea considering how easy it is to knack a turbo with heatsoak!

I think it's only available on 1.8T engines running K04 turbo's?

Don't rely on this circulation of coolant to save your turbo Simch, it helps a little, but preserving a turbo requires lubrication of the bearing when the oil is flowing whilst the engine is running. I would still drive slowly for the last mile or two, or idle for a minute also after a quick blast as you would any performance turbo car. :thumbsup:

BUt then the chavs in the corsa you have just overtaken catch up, (and nick your wheels when you aint lookin!)