and now...Clicking / Knocking

tupelo

Reaction score
Hi all,
My first post after lots of lurking; great forum.
I hope some of you can shed some light on the following.

S3 2000 (210bhp)
No modifications apart from the 18" Alloys.
Car is relativley new to me.

So, I had the lateral acceleration sensor throw up an error on VAG COM, got a new sensor, cleared the fault - all going well. Started planning my next maintenance tasks.

Around the same time I became aware of a click/knock while pulling out of the drive in the morning. Noticable at low revs just as I'm letting out the clutch, especially on a slight hill. The rate of the sound increased with the engine revs / or the wheel revolutions.

A few days later the oil light popped on on the way to work, I should have check earlier but there we go... So I filled it up and almost immediately I noticed this noise was less common.

Been a couple of days now and the noise is intermittent. I have heard it while stationary with the drivers door open gently reving the engine, at other times doing the same thing I can't hear it. The garage I bought it from are off ordering ARB bushes - i suspect they are deaf, but that's another story.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

T

Finally got the car back today, with a new block and some other refinements.
Turns out the "knocking" was a shattered middle piston ring on the 3rd cylinder; I now have it in a plastic bag to remind me of the pain. The conrod on the same cylinder was also slightly bent; as a result of the piston ring there was oil residue over the valves and manifold port.

Contemplated replacing all the internals - opted for the new block from Audi with 12 months warranty.

T.

just shows you should check your oil at least once a week

How much was the block from Audi if you dont mind me asking?

Did it fail big time or did you have it stripped and inspected?