Miltek backbox onto standard system-sleeve needed?

Prawn

My other car is a MINI!!!!
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
hey guys, somehow the previous owner of my car managed to dent the backbox, which has given it a nice irritating rattle..... so its due a replacement

in an ideal world, i would get myself a full miltek catback system, and be very happy with it. but im a student, and im poor!

ive got myself a stainless steel miltek back box, with discrete tailpipes.

the thing is, its a back box only, with no axle pipe either (it was nice and cheap!)

i was told that to fit it, i simply need to cut my old audi back box off at the right place, and fit a sleeve in between the audi pipe and my new miltek back box. i went to an exhaust fitter today, and they were no use and recommended halfords, and it just so happens, my local branch dont to sleeves at all.

so, what size sleeve would i need to fit this miltek back box onto my otherwise standard 98 1.8 T?

the ID of the miltek where it joins up appears to be 2.5'', does anyone know the OD of the audi system? and subsequently what sort of sleeve i will need?

many thanks in advance

Nick

http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/gallery/1167804423/gallery_168_26_39891.jpg

EDIT: got the exhaust now fitted, pics at the bottom \/ \/ \/

anyone? ideally, id like to try and hunt down the sleeve i need tomorow, so i can get it fitted on saturday :)

thanks Guy, i did think of my local motorfactors, but thought they only really stocked parts for production cars, and not really much custom type stuff....

would my local GSF be likely to know what size sleeve i need?

Ive got a couple near me and they have all manor of exhaust sleeves clamps hangers reducers etc.

Measure the OD of the stock system and just take off a couple of mil to get the ID, the wall will be no more than 1mil thick.

If you cant get under the car, give your local dealer a call and ask them. Looking at ETKA depending on your engine code the exhaust clamps
aeh, akl apf avu are 45 mm
agn apg are 50mm
agu ajq aqa arz app aum auq are 55mm

awesome, thanks guyl, thats awesome. ill give the local motorfactors a try in the morning :) my cars an agu, so im guessing itll take the 55mm clamp, apparrently ive just found out the std system is 2.25'', so ill need a sleeve or stepper of sorts to go from 2.25-2.5

thanks again

Nick

What car is that back-box from?

When i emailed Milltek a while ago they told me they didn't do a system with discreet tailpipes that would fit an A3 1.8T :(

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, im fairly sure it was an A3 system, perhaps its from a mk4 golf?

either way, i was told it would fit, and they run the same floor pan dont they? so it shuld surely fit fine?

hmmmmmmmmmmmm, ill give it a shot, and see what happens!

Prawn said:
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, im fairly sure it was an A3 system, perhaps its from a mk4 golf?

either way, i was told it would fit, and they run the same floor pan dont they? so it shuld surely fit fine?

hmmmmmmmmmmmm, ill give it a shot, and see what happens!

any part numbers or serial numbers stamped on the back box?

Can you post up some pics when it's fitted as this is exactly what i'm looking for. Cheers.

sure thing paul, im fairly certain its going to fit, as ive seen one on an 8l A3 before which i KNOW was from a mk4 golf, and he said it went straight on no problems....

the number stamped on the box is MSVW160 23374

haha, looking at the part number, im guessing thats milltek, stainless, VW.....

ah well, im fairly sure itll fit still, it all appears to line up perfectly, i just need the sleeve to mate it up now.

got a mega coursework assignment in by 4 today, then ill go hunting and let you know asap! if i can find the sleeve, ill fit the box tomorow.

Hi Guys

one week after i got it, ive got the exhaust fitted.

it went on pretty easily to be honest.

being very poor, i had to run the std centre section, and just fit teh milltek backbox.

i started by cutting the standard rear box off where the centre section goes into teh pipe, then slid a sleeve over the standard system before sliding the backbox in place.

i used plenty of exhaust paste, and so far there is no blowing at all, and it sounds lovely.

one problem i had was that the backbox vibrated slightly against the heatshield, and made a nice rattle inside the car.

to fix this, the box needed to be lowered a fraction. so i slid the jack from a mk2 golf in between the tailpipes and the mount, and opened it up a fraction. this bent the mount up about 10mm, giving me plenty of clearence and its not made a sound sinse :)

it does sit a little lower than the standard exhaust, and is just visable from outside, but the tips are shiney, and it still looks very standard.

noise wise, its lovely, its a little louder than standard, making a nice deep sound, whilst still being very quiet overall. i certainly wouldnt want an exhaust much louder, it just gives a deeper sound, and lets me hear what the engine is doing a little more.

once the cash flow improves ill get the milltek centre section and axle pipe to match before i have the car remapped, but for now, im really happy :)

also- the box was from a mk4 golf, and ended up fitting fine :) as can be seen from the pics

gallery_168_26_75946.jpg

gallery_168_26_144442.jpg

excuse the awful night time pics, and filthy car.

ill get some better ones tomorow after i get new tyres on the back :)

Good job Prawn.
I also have a golf exhaust on my A3, Although mine is a Cat back sytem for a 1.8t VW Golf on a 1.6 Audi A3.:laugh: