'98 1.8T Intermitant Problem when planting the throttle.

portsA318T

'The boat can leave now, tell the crew'
Reaction score
Hi there,
I have a problem which pops up now and again in low gears and it always seems to be in 2nd or 3rd when i floor the throttle from about 20mph to 45mph. Bascially when i floor it i get the speed up and all of a sudden i get a kick down (its a manual) effect on the car which jolts the car then all of a sudden its gone and the car is back to normal. Any ideas on this would be great.

Please no smart comments like: 'Don't Floor it' ;)

Would electrical cleaning solvent be ok to clean it with? and where abouts is the little ****** located. I have read on other posts that the DV could also be a possible cause. Is that also something to look at? Thanks

It sits just after your air filter housing, should be easy to spot. Cleaning solvent should be fine, make sure you spray it lightly and dont under any circumstances touch the wire.

Not sure about electrical cleaning solvent but if you have carb cleaner(might be the same, dont know) it may be worth your while running the engine and spraying it down just after the airbox, you wont need to take the maf out if you do this. Should give your throttle body a little clean as it could also be causing you problems.

Again only do it a little at a time as it'll make the engine choke, and it'll just stall if you try and give it a big spray

If you want to clean your throttle body, then clean it. Carb cleaner ain't gonna make it from the intake through the turbo, boost hoses and intercooler and actually clean the throttle. you need to remove the big black hose attached to the throttle body and clean it directly.

i don't think there is much merit in cleaning a MAF, if it is stuffed it's stuffed, buy a new one. They self clean at something daft like 300°C anyway and anything burnt on from that ain't gonna shift too easily and you can't be abrasive as the element is too delicate - they're just a sh*t design.

Oh aye, forgot it was a turbo, yeah ignore my throttle body ramblings

OK Chaps. I'll take a look at some point this week. ****** thing didn't do it at lunchtime when i took into wolves and back.

portsA318T said:
OK Chaps. I'll take a look at some point this week. ****** thing didn't do it at lunchtime when i took into wolves and back.

Know anybody with VAG-COM? If it's MAF then it might throw up a fault code, anything relating to a boost leak or faulty DV is unlikely to generate a fault code on a car that age.

Unfortunately you may be in to process of elimination.