KO3s turbo

dgannon69

Reaction score
Is it true that facelift 1.8T models have the KO3s turbos as standard? Its just that i rang Jabba yesterday to enquire about a turbo upgrade to a KO3s to get me up to about 230bhp and he said that my car already has one....

Is this true?

Regards
Dave

i think it depends if you got a custom remap or a generic one! a generic one doesnt get the full potential out of the engine n doesnt compensate for induction kits etc!!

it was a custom remap, they had it on the rollers anyway... i'm starting to think they didnt do what i have paid them for???

Good point that!

I Would have said you wouldnt have had the K03S as i thought they map to over 200 bhp?

But yours is facelift?

is there anyway to check what turbo you have engine code i think?

Jason

Sorry to slightly highjack this thread but I have a 1999 1.8T Quattro Sport obviously 180bhp as standard, what turbo will I have?K03s?

Thanks Chris

I think the tq's have the sport turbo actually? Like the 180hp golfs do too.

Sure way to check is disconnect the inlet pipe, (TIP) and count the vanes on the impeller. If its 8 vane its a sport, if its 12 vanes, its a stock k03.

Oh thats cool, does anyone know for sure? Either way i will check tomorrow.

Thanks Simch.

I believe engine code will dictate the type of turbo.

E.G An AGU on the earlier cars had a K03 and the dead give away was that they also had a throttle cable...

Not sure about my engine code off the top of my head but my car is definately "drive by wire", no throttle cable.

Chris-A3 1.8T Quat said:
Not sure about my engine code off the top of my head but my car is definately "drive by wire", no throttle cable.

Yeah i was only using that as an example.

On Golfs its fairly tricky to say with any certainty which engine codes had which turbo because like any car manufacturer, VAG will raid the parts bins to get shut of excess parts...

By that I mean that you can sometimes see some odd combinations of engine codes and spec...

ah, sounds like the TIP will have to come off tomorrow then to make 100% sure.

Thanks a lot for the help guys.:thumbsup: :kissmyrings:

If i'm running a KO3s then would anyone have any ideas why i'm only making 195bhp from a custom remap?

Cheers
Dave

wrong generic map installed before it was customised?

Originally Posted by Tallpaul
and to see a genuine 230bhp from a K03s you're gonna need a FMIC too.

Rough Costs:

2nd Hand K03s £250
Fitting Kit £50
Forge TIP £120
4bar FPR £30
N75(F i think) £40
FMIC £250 - 750 (depending on the quality of core you choose)
Labour to fit above 4 - 5 hours @ £45/hour (not inc fitting the FMIC, that's a DIY or it'll cost another few hours labour).
High Flow DP and Race CAT £400
Remap £500

Total: about £2000 for a genuine 230bhp/250lb_ft

As this says to get a genuine 230bhp from the K03s just having one isn't enough, you will prob need a new Fuel Pressure reg, a new N75, prob the F version, an FMIC and a high flow exhaust, with these and and a remap you would prob be closer to the figure you were/are hoping for.

Mine has a k03s and was mapped by Jabba for 95 ron. It has an air filter and exhaust. Went from 187 to 211bhp. Need more bits and bobs to get 230bhp.

I thought all quattro's had the ko3s as otherwise they would be ****** slow with 150bhp as standard!

Even with 195bhp the 2wd is probably as quick as mine with 211 as it weighs less.

Bet I would whip you in the wet though!!!

dgannon69 said:
Is it true that facelift 1.8T models have the KO3s turbos as standard? Its just that i rang Jabba yesterday to enquire about a turbo upgrade to a KO3s to get me up to about 230bhp and he said that my car already has one....

Is this true?

Regards
Dave
It depends on the market. For example mine is facelift but with AGU engine (K03-150bhp). The "sport" version was $5,000 more, also facelift but with K03 Sport.

well sorry to make this too easy for everyone, buuutttt

if you look at what your car actually is, it clearly states if its an S or not lol

for example: my car is a 1.8T Sport << the K03S model

a friends car is a 1.8T << the K03 model
another friends car is a 1.8TQS << the K03S model!

kind of a give away! might not be 100% true but in these cases it has been :D

damn you jason lol my theory worked until you came along.

grrr

maybe it only counts for face-lift models?

Jason_letts said:
Hmmm i have a 1.8T Sport doesnt work for me though! K03 For me!

Jason
I guess now that only after facelift, the Sport version had K03S.

Before facelift I suppose "sport" version was only sporty seats, sport alloys, lower suspension, etc. But same engine & turbo.
:think:

Prawn said:
lucky gits!

what exactly is different between the ko3 and ko3s?
There is actually no big difference in the turbo itself, but K03S requires bigger inyectors and different ECU mapping.

PocketRocket said:
I guess now that only after facelift, the Sport version had K03S.

Before facelift I suppose "sport" version was only sporty seats, sport alloys, lower suspension, etc. But same engine & turbo.
:think:

There is actually no big difference in the turbo itself, but K03S requires bigger inyectors and different ECU mapping.

K03s does not require bigger injectors!
The K 03 sport turbo has a slightly bigger inlet, (2 mil bigger) and hence needs a bigger TIP. The compressor impellor, (non driven side) has eight vanes on it, not 12 as the stock one does.

To get the best out of the K03 sport, many remappers use a 4 bar pressure regualtor off the s3, on stock injectors, to have some safety on the injectors. Stock 1.8T injectors, (on golfs anyway!) will provide enough fuel for about 250hp, so by increasing the fuel pressure, it helps their duty cycle ansd just guives a bit more safety.

So for a K03 sport conversion if you have not already got it fitted, all you actually NEED is the turbo and TIP. A 4 bar regualor is an idea, (DONT ADD it after your remap!) and a good DP, cat and exhaust is all worthwhile, but not absolutely essential.

simch said:
K03s does not require bigger injectors!
It doesn't if you upgrade turbo. But question was referred to stock differences between K03 and K03S, and K03S does come with bigger inyectors than K03. It might not be required but recommended...

The difference in the turbo is what gives the difference to potential power.

Bigger Injectors are a total waste of money for a K03 sport conversion.

Jsut not needed

PocketRocket said:
It doesn't if you upgrade turbo. But question was referred to stock differences between K03 and K03S, and K03S does come with bigger inyectors than K03. It might not be required but recommended...

Edit: Turns out he's right ;)

On the Turbo side of things, this thread is a mine-field of mis-information.

It's really best to think about your turbo/engine in terms of the engine code. you guys seem to be doing a good job of confusing things by talking about 'sport', 'non-sport' and 'face-lift' etc when really the engine code defines what components were fitted.

lol, before i bothered to start typing a list of the differant engine codes, i thought i'd check the FAQ section:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=14784

All there...

On the injector side of things, the AGU engine does have marginally smaller injectors, they can't be swapped for the slightly bigger ones from say an AUQ because the AGU has a large-port head. On the plus side, the large port head will give bigger gains than a small-port head on a like for like setup :) and the 'smaller' injectors are fine for any K03x application.