a3 , tips and assistance on buying

Voice_Coil

Reaction score
any tips guys?

im about to start looking.

have 4.5 k only

Kinda depends on what model your thinking of, is it a 1.8T?

Funky_Junky said:
Check the bottoms of the doors for rust!!

Im agreeing with this one. There is a sticky about it. Check it out.

I only checked the thread after I bought my car and I had the same problem, also in the roof gutters. I had to buy new bump strips for both sides as the brass gromets that are within the strip had coroded. I got mines rubbed down and resprayed with a machine polish for 250 pounds. You should always have money put asside when buying a car anyway just incase something crops up.

If and when you do buy an A3 I have to say its going to happen sometime to yours if it hasn't already. But that asside, my car is a dream to drive and wouldnt give it up for the world.

Make sure your aircon actually pumps out cold air.

Check for dead pixels on you computer.

If the car has done its 60000 miles or more, make sure the timing belt has been done.

Last but not least. Check that the rear window sprayer isnt sticking and moving with the wiper. It will still spray but its should stay still and only the wiper should move. I've still to sort mine out. You can get a kit to sort it from vag parts.

hope this helps and if anyone needs to add to or correct me, feel free. :hi:

thanks guys so far for the tips

im really unsure what model to go for , the 1.8 t would be fun, but im really looking for good value , hassle free motoring

the a3 really does look gr8 and as i say just looking for hints and tips right now, keep em coming plz :)

on 2wd models, if its done 50k plus, its likely the rear beam bushes are shot, a pain to remove, replace with powerflex, its easier to fit them and they are harder! reckon on about £150-200 to have it done at a local garage, but they will do for another 40k with stock and 80k plus if powerflex

Voice_Coil said:
thanks guys so far for the tips

im really unsure what model to go for , the 1.8 t would be fun, but im really looking for good value , hassle free motoring

the a3 really does look gr8 and as i say just looking for hints and tips right now, keep em coming plz :)

If its value you're looking for then go for the 1.8T. Faster, more tuneable, better specification and more for not a lot more money. IMO if you don't get the turbo you'll regret it in the end.

i have to agree. no turbo is no fun, but saying that turbo aint so fun in the wet thru 1st and 2nd gear =x

erm, check the rear windscreen wiper works coz it may be that the inner brass piping has corroded which is a pain of a job (just done it on mine).

get the car warmed up and check tick over, coz if it seems a little jerky or bouncy its because the MAF has/will pack up!

if the car has done anymore than 75k expect some cockpit rattling aswell.

other than that, they are wery lurvly ;)

ive been a turboo driver for 2 years running plenty of boost [ 18 psi ]

i understand the fun factor , what sort of boost would a standard a3 run and how are they for tourqe steer ?

im still looking around , anyone got any good links for a3`s for sale ? ?

erm well im taking my car in again for rolling roading so ill post the read outs for you so you can see torque etc etc.

my car has been remapped and last time i was aware it was running at 206bhp :D

Dont be put off by high mileage. As long as the car has been serviced properly and has got FSH to confirm it, the engines are good for at least 180k. You can usually pick them up cheap with a high mileage as well.

to be honest guys , id rather NOT have a turbo , im not looking for a sports car , just a clean reliable good value , easy to service motor

im not a boy racer , just want advice .

ok so im now looking at the 1.6 se and the 1.8 s.e

ok so any more tips or advice plz ?

I'd still buy the turbo if i were you, they're fairly economical in standard guise - but if you really dont want one then avoid the 1.6 and go for the 1.8 n/a

Its a fairly relaxed drive if a little underpowered.

The 1.6 is heavy on fuel and you'd find yourself driving it fairly hard most of the time, making it even worse!

why would i be driving it hard ?

i really dont want a turbo , i have no faith in one at that kinda money

i bet most are driven too hard....

1.8 sounds ok i guess.....

I dont mean hard as in red lining it everywhere, its just that if you drive alot out of town, it takes it a bit of effort just to keep up with traffic. The 1.8 has that little bit more power to make it feel like it has to try less to do so.

I own a 1.6 and wouldnt reccomend it - i do like my car but as i said you feel the lack in power, and i get about 310-350 miles to a tank (no i dont drive like a ****)

Hi mate.

I bought a 1.8 Sport about 4 months ago and after driving a turbo I wish I had bought one. Saying that the one I drove came up with a fault when I started but my mate says its been doing that alot, his is a 1999 and a little worn down. I paid 6.5 for mine its a 51 with 64k on, in very good condition. Had to have the lam, cat and a fuel sensor replaced but it was under warrenty.

Def not go for the 1.6 is very under powered for the car. If your not looking to mod the engine get the 1.8 non turbo. Anything tdi will cost more and are a little underpowered imo.

Try and get a facelift model they came out around 1999/2000 (I think). Also the sport is lower than the SE but doesn't have AC. Stick some 17" TT alloys on and your done. All models look sporty.

Hope I helped

The 1.8 has the same fuel consumption as the 1.8T I believe, just for reference.
The 1.8T isn't a rocketship, quicker than many cars on the road, but not normally a boy racer car.

If I had 4.5k to spend, I would get a facelift 1.8T (late X reg onwards) with higher than average miles.

Voice_Coil said:
i really dont want a turbo , i have no faith in one at that kinda money

QUOTE]

Why not? It isn't a renault 5 turbo you know? I sold my 97' 1.8T 18 months ago with 92k on the clock and it ran like new. I had it four years and only had to buy a new DV and service it, it never even needed oil!

im considering deisel now after reading a 1.6 will only do a max of 350 miles on one tank of fuel im doing on average 500 miles a week motorway driving

i should really be asking how much a tank full would actually cost on a 1.6 ?

wow, 500 a week? forget all you've heard about 1.8s and 1.8Ts then mate! You surely need to focus on diesel now.

45 quid-ish fills the tank, and i do about the same as you - thanfully its more than covered by my mileage allowance but its still a royal pain in the *** when i could be making money out of it with a diesel.

If your doing 500 miles a week the TDI would be the best choice, depending on which one you go for they'll do that on a tank(depending on your driving style of course)

review & model breakdown can be found here: http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/review.aspx?model=44

milage isn't too much of a problem if there well maintained, (check the cam belt & water pump was replaced at the 60k mark)

a 110bhp would probably do the job quite nicely for you and there's scope to improve it later (remap etc) if you want to, you should also be able to find one quite easily on your budget

hope it helps

Mike

im looking at 3 tdi`s over the next 2 weeks

ill be back with some news as and when , 1st one this wednesday