retrofitting cd changer?2003 s3

simch

Reaction score
I have a concert head unit and Bose in my 2003 S3.

I see a few 2nd hand audi and new alpine 6 disc changers about and reference to a "BUS" cable in the rear of the car, already being fitted?

What does this cable look like and where is it? Is it fitted to cars with Bose?
Also, if you have Bose and the subs in the n's rear panel, where does the changer go...? O/s panelo appears to be full too....? So can I fit a changer and if so what do i need?

Cheers

You need to check that the bus cable is pre-installed. Look in the nearside cubbyhole it's way back towards the front of the car past the rear seatbelt reel, about level with the rear seat back, shown below with the panels removed. It should be clipped to the inside bodywork with a white clip.
If it's there then all you need is the changer, the adapter cable and either an OEM changer cage (ebay) which fits above the sub or better still lots of double sided foam tape or foam sticky fixers and just layer them on top of each other and plonk it on top of the sub. Better IMO as this provides additional cushioning from potholes that the cage doesn't.
there's no rhyme or reason as to whether an A3 has the cable or not. My old '99 1.8T had it others don't. If it's not there then you need to source one off ebay or from dealer/breakers. It needs to be the 13/10 pin (13 pin locations but only 10 wired) at the changer end and a blue mini ISO at the HU end. Also check that your HU has space for the connector as some have a big black connector hogging the changer socket (top right corner of the HU looking from the rear).
CDchangercablelocation.jpg

Holy crap, you dismantled your car just for me...?!?!?! haha!

Cheers, so is the cable visible without taking the rear (seat are) side panel off, ie only by removing gthe rear cubby panel where the bose sub is? What sort of connector am I looking for, the 13 pin on?
You mention an adapter cable, is that a short one running from the changer to the connector near the rear seat backs?
And the mounting cage....is there really room for that above the bose sub.......there looks to be hardly any room above my bose sub.....? Does the changer fit inside the cubby hole then or does the cubby door need cutting ?

Cheers

Simon

Yes it is visible from the cubbyhole (no panels need to be removed). But you can only get one hand in there so connecting the changer is a bit tricky.
The connector is shown in the photo 13 pin.
The adapter cable should come with an aftermarket changer if you buy it as a package for an Audi (Alpine, Panasonic & Sony all work with the Audi system with the right adapter). Obviously if you buy an OEM changer then it plugs straight in.
Yes the changer/cage mounts above the sub, no cutting required.

That'll be a special discount to me then, I am just poor lowly 8L owner, not a super rich flashy 8P S3 owner like you .....?!?!! :) :)

You aint got a black leather armrest you can corwbar out of yours before it goes have you "Jam"? :)

oooh, also have you got the mounting cage for your changer?