Chris NottAH Fabrications
    6th Gear

Status

Have I knackered my s3 xenons!!!!!!

Decided to pressure clean the engine bay of the s3 today, its not been done in ages.

After I'd done, Ii noticed all the headlights were steamed up......? WTF, I thought they were fully sealed?

I put thoe lights on and 90% of it cleared but once cooled they are fogged again.........? Any ideas how to sort it, I know the lens cannot come off, but is it a case of removiing them and sticking them in the airing supboard, or will it just clear?
    Also, I took the rubber strips off the top of the lights to clean them, and didn't really look at there position to put them back in place! I think i got it right, but anypone got a pic of an engine bay that shows how they go on...? Double D'oh!

2. # ADS
    ADS

hud at ye bam

Status
    It's just one of those things that happens I'm afraid. There's no damage done, they just get a little water in there and condensation builds up. Should be fine in the morning.
    [/sarcasm]

3rd Gear

Status
    As said above. The same happened to mine, it's a common occurence (sp) due to the fact they have a vent on them somewhere to let the heat dissipate from the light.
    Mine did take a week or 2 to dry out, but it did in the end
    2011 S3 Sportback S-tronic Black Edition - Revo stage 1
    2006 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport - For track days and sunny days.
    2003 S4 V8 Saloon Manual Milltek Cat Back - Sold

6th Gear

Status
    Another thing, i wouldnt ever steam clean an engine bay unless you know exactly what u can and cant soak!
    *Gone* 1997 A3 1.6 facelift headlights, 16"1.8t Alloys, full rear tints. 110k

You built a time machine.........out of a delorean!?!?!

6th Gear

Status
    I used a pressure cleaner and not a steam cleaner. Steam cleaners are far higher presure and hot water so can cause more problems. To be fair the VAG 20v is very resilient to a good soaking and I am pretty careful what I spray. I think the lights area got a bit wet when I closed the bonnet, as I'd cleaned the felt carpet under the bonet, which probably dripped from its front edge into the rear of the lights once I closed it.
    I'll watch that again, or leave the hood up to let it drip dry from the rear.