Have I knackered my s3 xenons!!!!!!

simch

Reaction score
Decided to pressure clean the engine bay of the s3 today, its not been done in ages.

After I'd done, Ii noticed all the headlights were steamed up......? WTF, I thought they were fully sealed?

I put thoe lights on and 90% of it cleared but once cooled they are fogged again.........? Any ideas how to sort it, I know the lens cannot come off, but is it a case of removiing them and sticking them in the airing supboard, or will it just clear?
Also, I took the rubber strips off the top of the lights to clean them, and didn't really look at there position to put them back in place! I think i got it right, but anypone got a pic of an engine bay that shows how they go on...? Double D'oh!

It's just one of those things that happens I'm afraid. There's no damage done, they just get a little water in there and condensation builds up. Should be fine in the morning.

As said above. The same happened to mine, it's a common occurence (sp) due to the fact they have a vent on them somewhere to let the heat dissipate from the light.
Mine did take a week or 2 to dry out, but it did in the end :)

Another thing, i wouldnt ever steam clean an engine bay unless you know exactly what u can and cant soak!

I used a pressure cleaner and not a steam cleaner. Steam cleaners are far higher presure and hot water so can cause more problems. To be fair the VAG 20v is very resilient to a good soaking and I am pretty careful what I spray. I think the lights area got a bit wet when I closed the bonnet, as I'd cleaned the felt carpet under the bonet, which probably dripped from its front edge into the rear of the lights once I closed it.
I'll watch that again, or leave the hood up to let it drip dry from the rear.