phase 1 and facelift dash??

nky_84

6th Gear
Reaction score
test drove an s3 for the first time the other day, an was overall impressed. it was a face lift 225.

2 things i didnt like were the shiney black trim around the window switches and the nasty clicky climate control buttons.

Was this changed for the phase 2 or is the phase 1 the same? are they all like this, or are there variations. parents have an (98) a4 se and its controls etc seem much nicer

anyone any pics indicating the phase changes?

cheers
Nick

I've only seen pics but in my eyes pre facelift looks worse inside! Obviously my opinion
Have a look at Pistonheads.com under classifieds, you should get a feel for the different layouts.

The shiny black trim you mention is piano black trim, pretty sought after by most people so should be easy for you to get a swap for some1's a3 bits. I think its standard tho, pre facelift has a very slightly different centre console design but still the piano black bits iirc, no idea about the CC buttons im afraid

cant really find any good close ups of PH1 dash on PH.

really after a noggy blue ph2 for around £11k and there seems to be none around at the mo

phase 2

ph2.jpg

phase 1

ph1.jpg

the plus-side of the facelift climate controller is that it doesn't suffer from the same fading and random breaking features of the previous one.

Having owned cars with each, I'd say I much prefer the facelifted version.

Good luck finding a Nogaro in the spec you wanted though, it took me a while.

yeah, im begining to wonder if im gonna be able to hold out for "the perfect car".

If the ph1 wasnt prone to breaking an fading, which the one on my 'rents a4 hasnt yet, whats to prefer about the facelift. I thot it looked cheap, felt very plasticy and couldnt understand why somone would change it to that

to be honest you would have to see the pre faclift up close, i think you would then sway to the facelift. The pre facelift dash looks terrible i think, the buttons look very dated, i am being slightly bias though.

nky_84 said:
yeah, im begining to wonder if im gonna be able to hold out for "the perfect car".

If the ph1 wasnt prone to breaking an fading, which the one on my 'rents a4 hasnt yet, whats to prefer about the facelift. I thot it looked cheap, felt very plasticy and couldnt understand why somone would change it to that

Don't really get you there. An S3 interior is anything but 'plasticy'. Even the pre-facelift was well put together and solid.

Must... stop... too... tempting...

Oh feck it, an S3 plasticy????? Lol, from a pug driver!!!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, breathes, hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Also, make sure you get a double-DIN stereo (Symphony). I think this makes the centre of the dash look much, much better.
It will also make for an easier job should decide to retro-fit sat-nav as many folks on here do.

The black piano finish is standard fit, and when polished well looks pretty impressive IMO.

I'd much rather have the facelift anyday - small touches but it made such a difference to the 'old' interior.

ChriS3 said:
Don't really get you there. An S3 interior is anything but 'plasticy'. Even the pre-facelift was well put together and solid.

:)

I can see his point from the photo tho of the pre-facelift.

When u sit in one tho it doesnt come across anything like that, i think its just the flash made everything look shiny

ChriS3 said:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, breathes, hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Cheers for the help, ya sheep shaggger :nyah:

I didnt say the it was plasticy in genereal, just he climate control buttons.
The preface lift imo is well put together an feels a lot better, dampened buttons and without a clicky cheap feel. Just my first impressions, i might change after a few more test drives an a bit more experience.