Sky InsuranceEM Tuning
    6th Gear

Status

phase 1 and facelift dash??

test drove an s3 for the first time the other day, an was overall impressed. it was a face lift 225.

2 things i didnt like were the shiney black trim around the window switches and the nasty clicky climate control buttons.

Was this changed for the phase 2 or is the phase 1 the same? are they all like this, or are there variations. parents have an (98) a4 se and its controls etc seem much nicer

anyone any pics indicating the phase changes?

cheers
    Nick

2. # ADS
    ADS

Aky
    Aky

Status
    I've only seen pics but in my eyes pre facelift looks worse inside! Obviously my opinion
    Have a look at Pistonheads.com under classifieds, you should get a feel for the different layouts.

6th Gear

Status
    The shiny black trim you mention is piano black trim, pretty sought after by most people so should be easy for you to get a swap for some1's a3 bits. I think its standard tho, pre facelift has a very slightly different centre console design but still the piano black bits iirc, no idea about the CC buttons im afraid
    *Gone* 1997 A3 1.6 facelift headlights, 16"1.8t Alloys, full rear tints. 110k

You built a time machine.........out of a delorean!?!?!

6th Gear

Status
    good idea about PH

6th Gear

Status
    cant really find any good close ups of PH1 dash on PH.

really after a noggy blue ph2 for around 11k and there seems to be none around at the mo

6th Gear

Status
    phase 2

phase 1

6th Gear

Status
    the plus-side of the facelift climate controller is that it doesn't suffer from the same fading and random breaking features of the previous one.

Having owned cars with each, I'd say I much prefer the facelifted version.

Good luck finding a Nogaro in the spec you wanted though, it took me a while.

6th Gear

Status
    yeah, im begining to wonder if im gonna be able to hold out for "the perfect car".

If the ph1 wasnt prone to breaking an fading, which the one on my 'rents a4 hasnt yet, whats to prefer about the facelift. I thot it looked cheap, felt very plasticy and couldnt understand why somone would change it to that

6th Gear

Status
    to be honest you would have to see the pre faclift up close, i think you would then sway to the facelift. The pre facelift dash looks terrible i think, the buttons look very dated, i am being slightly bias though.
    2002 Dolphin grey S3 - Sym2+bose, heated leather, ally mirrors, R32 ARB's with superpro, Jabba stage 2 map, TFSI coils, Samco TIP, Forge DV & privacy glass

2010 Green Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R - Akrapovic baffleless race can, LED cluster & HID's

wanted for 8L S3:
    Unmarked grey rear bumper panel
    Milltek system

hud at ye bam

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by nky_84
    yeah, im begining to wonder if im gonna be able to hold out for "the perfect car".

If the ph1 wasnt prone to breaking an fading, which the one on my 'rents a4 hasnt yet, whats to prefer about the facelift. I thot it looked cheap, felt very plasticy and couldnt understand why somone would change it to that
    Don't really get you there. An S3 interior is anything but 'plasticy'. Even the pre-facelift was well put together and solid.

Must... stop... too... tempting...

Oh feck it, an S3 plasticy????? Lol, from a pug driver!!!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha , breathes, hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahaha
    Last edited by ChriS3; 8th January 2007 at 20:09.
    [/sarcasm]

Vroom Vroom

Status
    Also, make sure you get a double-DIN stereo (Symphony). I think this makes the centre of the dash look much, much better.
    It will also make for an easier job should decide to retro-fit sat-nav as many folks on here do.

The black piano finish is standard fit, and when polished well looks pretty impressive IMO.

I'd much rather have the facelift anyday - small touches but it made such a difference to the 'old' interior.
    -------------------------

987 Boxster 2.7 (05) - Current
    A3 2.0T Quattro S-Line (55) - gone
    S3 Quattro (02) - gone

Vroom Vroom

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ChriS3
    Don't really get you there. An S3 interior is anything but 'plasticy'. Even the pre-facelift was well put together and solid.

987 Boxster 2.7 (05) - Current
    A3 2.0T Quattro S-Line (55) - gone
    S3 Quattro (02) - gone

6th Gear

Status
    I can see his point from the photo tho of the pre-facelift.

When u sit in one tho it doesnt come across anything like that, i think its just the flash made everything look shiny
    *Gone* 1997 A3 1.6 facelift headlights, 16"1.8t Alloys, full rear tints. 110k

You built a time machine.........out of a delorean!?!?!

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ChriS3

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha , breathes, hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahaha
    Cheers for the help, ya sheep shaggger

I didnt say the it was plasticy in genereal, just he climate control buttons.
    The preface lift imo is well put together an feels a lot better, dampened buttons and without a clicky cheap feel. Just my first impressions, i might change after a few more test drives an a bit more experience.