S3 Powerflex Dog Bone Fitted. Impressions

leecs3

thinking about stuff
Reaction score
Bought this awhile ago but only got around to fitting it last wednesday. As a bit of background by car's current spec is Revo stage1, H&R Springs, H&R ARB's, Bilstein B8's.

Fitting the poly dog bone has made a huge difference to the car's performance which is very surprising because of the very low £15 cost but worth pointing out that this is probably due to the other tuning mods adding up and complimenting each other.

First impressions were, the car judders when putting out at junctions (left or right) so more rev's are required. The front of car feels more solid (feels like a strutbrace has been added), and theres a bit more feel in the steering wheel. The gear change has now got more feel to it, nice and positive engagement. The car is more responsive to the throttle, with the engine movement reduced, power is going straight to the wheels rather than twisting the engine then the wheels. Exiting corners even with my set up you get a slight lurch as you unload the front wheel, this has gone. The car stays flat entering, during and exiting. On the whole the driving experience is more focused and personally see this mod as the final polish of a setup. really makes that much difference. There a real sharpness to the turn in which is fun.

But there is a cost. There is a little vibration through the wheel at tickover, the exhaust seems noisier which i'd guess it due to the vibration of the exhaust now being transmitted into the body through the stiffer dog bone mount. At first i was convinced that this was a mod to far for a daily driver (must for a trackday) but its seems to be settling in some what and the negetives to fitting this part are becoming less pronounced. So i think it may well stay. Its possible to change the thinner part (keeping the larger poly bush) of the mount (theres two poly bushes in the mount) back to OEM to reduce the vibration and this is something i may try if in a couple of weeks i find that long term i can't live with the extra harshness.

HTH

I would agree, After fitting this to my S3 a year back it was great, had very positive feedback from the engine. BUT one year later and it seems to be performing like the older one. I now hear slightly more engine movement and can feel a bit of movement in the dog bone. I'm looking into buying the last 3 VF engineering engine mounts (including all new dog bone mount). My bro has fitted this to his Golf and I love the way it feels, absolutely solid no movement at all. The reason why I wanna change it soon is because my bro had the same dog bone bush as me and you and recently his dog bone bolt snapped and caused all sorts of havoc to the engine so better get it done sooner than later (for me anyways).

Sorry if it's a bit confusing

does anyone else have any views on the dog bone mount?

is it worth putting new standard bushes in it?

I put one on my Golf,although it was good it vibrated too much inside the car so it came straight off again.

I've fitted powerflex bushes all round, except for the steering rack mount, which I'm just about to change. I've obviously gone to far in regards to comfort.

Phlipper1 said:
I've fitted powerflex bushes all round, except for the steering rack mount, which I'm just about to change. I've obviously gone to far in regards to comfort.

I've got poweflex all round too mate, with the steering rack, and to be honest ride comfort has only been slightly altered and for the benefits you get I think it's well worth it. I mean on a windy rainy day I can EASILY keep the car straight on the motorway and it's hilarious watching everybody else swinging right and left trying to hold the car. I think they make the ride quality ACE !! just need the VF engineering engine mounts (as mentioned above and a whiiiiiile back)

A lot of people overtighten the central nut causing the bushes to compress so much that you end up with metal to metal contact thus causing noticeably more vibration.

Done it on three cars now and there was only a very very slight increase in vibration through the cabin.

personally i find the powerflex bush way too hard for the dogbone, its like a solid block of plastic thus transmitting all the vibration into the cabin.
i changed mine to a softer compound that Superpro make and its massively better. A lot less vibration into the cabin yet still retaining the tight feel of the upgrade.

can you buy standard bushes anywhere? i read that audi only sell the whole lot