A3 Engine swap.. help needed

VeeDub Geezer

Ex-20v Coupe Owner
Reaction score
Website
www.dubdynamics.com
im buying a '98 A3 1.8T (Originally an throttle cable AGU) which needs engine, gearbox, wiring loom and ecu (All sold seperatly by current owner)

i have a complete car breaking at work on a 2003 53 plate (last of the facelift 8L's) with an AUM (Fly by Wire throttle)

will it be easier to fit the pedal box etc to convert the '98 to fly by wire or fit an earlier cable throttle body?

also, if i fit the earlier throttle body, will the ECU work ok without a feed from the throttle pedal?

anyone have any ideas??

I "think" that you'll need to convert the car to drive by wire as the new ecu will be programmed for this

The ECU on DBW needs more than the throttle position sensor, it also works from a MAP sensor to monitor boost pressure. All this in turn is linked to the TCS system (if the A3 has it?). Also has a wide-band lambda sensor in the exhaust to monitor fuel trims.

I think you're gonna need to to transplant EVERYTHING from the DBW engine.

yea thats what we thought.. im not sure if it has traction control tho
if it does is it just a case of changing the ABS pump from the DBW car along with everything else to retro fit TCS?

Not too sure on the TCS side of things. I know it cuts power by limiting boost but have no idea how it relates to the braking system... I'm not sure it does, as i thought that was what ESP did? Obviously somewhere along the way it has to detect traction/wheelspin, i think there are extra sensors with the ABS ring in the hubs??? Just guessing TBH...

Not a straightforward swop by any means, too many damn sensors involved with DBW/TCS, the AGU engine is a much simpler and more reliable proposition (not v. helpfull, i know :p)

Probably a silly question, but...

Why bother doing the swap anyway? You building a track car or something?

:)

VeeDub Geezer said:
im buying a '98 A3 1.8T (Originally an throttle cable AGU) which needs engine, gearbox, wiring loom and ecu (All sold seperatly by current owner)

i have a complete car breaking at work on a 2003 53 plate (last of the facelift 8L's) with an AUM (Fly by Wire throttle)

:readit: :nyah:

lol, i can read :jester:

Doesn't say why though... I mean just beacuse there is an A3 breaking at work, why re-shell it? Seems a lot of hassle when you can pick up an complete 98/99 A3 1.8T for about 4k?

I assume you're getting it for buttons, but complex swaps like this are never as straightforward (or cheap) as they look on paper...

Good luck 'n all, just curious.