Nurburgring Trip 2007

Stewart

Reaction score
Website
www.oreton.com
There are murmurings of a Sringtime trip to the Ring over on uk-mkivs.net...

Stormy (South Manchester Scoobies) over on uk-mkivs.net is also organising a trip on the second bank holiday weekend.

For planning purposes it might be worth using Stormys trip, see link below (the Euro Combo Trip on the second bank holiday in May)

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/2/697483/ShowThread.aspx

If you want to see what the Ring trips are all about then download my crap movie (link below), this was the September 2005 trip so pretty quiet compared to the Spring/Summer dates...

http://www.pisspoorperformance.co.uk/foxy/

Right click on the RingSept2005.wmv link and select 'save target as'. Sorry but its nearly 300meg in size and will take a while but its worth it as it shows pretty much all of what these trips are all about - The great drive there and back, the social scene and the laps on the ring of course!

Make your interest known soon as for the social side, anything over 15-20 people becomes a nightmare to organise eating out wise. It's easier to then organise separate (but travelling together) parties for food and accomodation.

Count me in +1 - Just need a brake upgrade first!! Think a mate in his Celica GT4 +1 again will want to come too.

Aky said:
Count me in +1 - Just need a brake upgrade first!! Think a mate in his Celica GT4 +1 again will want to come too.

It's probably a good idea to register on www.uk-mkivs.net (plenty of Audi owners on there as well) and subscribe to that thread...

If numbers get big enough on here, we can organise our own itinery and tag along with them...

I know what you mean about the brake upgrade although the Ring is quite a fast flowing track (meaning you don't need to monster the brakes) and the only time I've had to monster the brakes was to avoid Bikers cutting my apex then realising 2 wheels don't go around bends as quickly as 4!
However, I think i will replace my R32/ECS setup with Brembos to try and reduce unsprung weight...will look out for some lighter wheels as well...

already registered previous MK4 TDI owner.
I'll do that then! Cheers

I'd definitly be up for this but i dotn know know wether my car would handle it!

Getting my shocks on this month sometime what other mods are needed im assuming brakes! Dont want brake fade!

Jason

Don't worry about your car too much, it's all about the experience, especially the first time out!

The track is a fast and flowing circuit, it's about your line and carrying as much speed through a bend as possible. Start slowly and build up, show the circuit the respect and caution it deserves.

Just get some harder compound pads, change the fluid for some higher boiling point Dot4 (Super blue or motul or similar), unless you already have Dot5 and you'll be right :)
You don't need brakes when you've got big balls ;)

It will blow your mind and you'll have the time of your life, absolutely guaranteed!

Ill be up for this few mods to get out of the way first though

I could be up for this, might bring my mr2 tho as my A3 is a squib :3sadwalk:

Stewart said:
Don't worry about your car too much, it's all about the experience, especially the first time out!

Just get some harder compound pads, change the fluid for some higher boiling point Dot4 (Super blue or motul or similar), unless you already have Dot5 and you'll be right :)
You don't need brakes when you've got big balls ;)

quote]

What pads & fluid would you recommend? Is it not worth doing an upgrade? obvious this is a cost saver!

Count me in.

Slow car + fast driver = (Hopefully) More recovery time on the way to the scene of the accident

If you already have the 312mm disks and they are in good condition, I would be inclined to cross drill them myself (if you have access to a decent bench/stand drill and half a day to spare) but its a very time consuming process as you have to mark the disk very carefully, drill the holes carefully and carefully countersink the holes. Did i mention you have to be careful? ;)

Pads is very much a personal choice, I certainly won't be going back to the Mintex range or Hawk. I think I will be choosing some from the Ferodo DS range this time.

Fluid again is a minefield, if you start doing research then you will read all sorts of things. DOT5 and above is silicon based which allegedly causes foaming in the ABS pump (it is quite hard to bleed every last molecule of air from an ABS pump) and the 'foam' is obviously made up of tiny air bubbles.

Air in any hydraulic system = bad.

So, a lot of tuners recommend a good mineral Dot4 fluid with higher boiling point properties.

I personally use ATE Super Blue but it's dear at around £15 per litre and can be difficult to get hold of at short notice.

id like to experience the nurburgring what would be approx total cost for the trip?

I think i'll pass on the drilling, sounds too much of a ballache and I'll get bored and start drilling holes randomly, but I will have a look at the Ferodo DS range - you are the 2nd person to mention this.
Thanks once again Stewart!!

Aky said:
I'll get bored and start drilling holes randomly!!

13vcslumber1.jpg

Hi,
I am booked in the UK MkIVs trip.

Quick Question:
Someone asked me what my goal time was for the track on this trip and I realised that I had only vaguely thought about it. Bearing in mind the following, what is reasonable expectation?:

1. Its my first visit to the Ring (HEAVY traffic on PS2 though - Over 300 laps easily I think in numerous car types)
2. I am driving a bog-standard, tired but still quickish (for the model), 1996 A4 Avant 1.8 with new tyres but nothing else
3. I am no slow muppet behind the wheel, but I am not into stupid risks either

I had quietly been thinking about aiming for 10mins or under based on Clarkson in the Jag, but I have no idea what a real world 'safeish' goal would be.

Any suggestions? I asked the same question in the MKIVs forum but I find that experts on something like this are not platform specific and any opinion is valid. (until crushed by the weight of others)
cheers,
Marty

Trying to chase times on the Ring is a very dangerous hobby. Get smooth, know the cambers and then start to speed it up.
Having bikes and GT3's ripping past you and making you look stationary is very daunting for the first timer.
I've only ever timed myself twice, just to see how scary it was in comparison to a sub 10 min lap.
I've only completed 20 odd laps on the actual circuit, so it took some learning, having only played PS2 a dozen or so times.
My first ever lap was around 13 mins, when I was over at Easter I timed one more and it was 10:24, still not great, but then unlike JC, I didnt have Sabine sitting beside me telling me where to go !

THanks, thats exactly the sort of info I was hoping for.
Like I said, I am only going for fun so i don't plan to chase any numbers, just soak up the experience and not get hit by any low flying idiots who ARE driving outside their limits (there's always at least one on a track and they always seems to have the budget to own the best cars d*mn them)

Just thought id post this here........

I joined the uk mkivs lot on the ring trip in May, Always been a life long ambition to go there. From start to finish it was fantastic!! not just the track, but all the getting there, eating, drinking and of course marveling at all the exotic cars!!

My car went on the ring twice, first time was scary, it was awefull weather so I just took my time, lap 2 was a lot better as I was more confident and conditions were great. I didn't time my laps as I went there for the experience.

Anyway to cut to the chase were going again in October if anyone fancys it. Im sure Stewart will post up full details, if not Beddie or Curly.

If they dont I will start a new thread..........:icon_thumright:

A good tip for those not been before or who dont know the track as well as they would like.......get a Tom tom with Europ maps on .....its on there !! ! !

Really helpful on some of the sections where you cannot see over crests, notthign worse than going over a hillock and bein on totally the wrong side of the road for the next corner! !