Revo comments trial issues

I'm sorry, I usually try to stay out of the nightmare that is the ongoing Revo/Audi-Sport saga, but I feel compelled to comment!

What about the Revo dealer who couldn't even tell whether the car had gone back to 210 code, or 225 code, and wasn't too sure what code he had put on it !?

Or the car that consistently uses 30 miles per tank more petrol than before the trial.....

And there's more.

At the end of the day, you makes your choice and you lives with it.

If you are thinking of chipping your car, talk to all the tuners before making a decision - factors such as geographic location, support facilities, pre and post-sales service, reputation and financial status will all have a bearing. Also talk to people that have had their cars tuned, and try to have a drive of them.

Ultimately it's your choice, and it's a big decision to trust your car (let's not forget, it's £15-£25,000 worth of hard cash we are talking about) to anybody - choose carefully.

And remember that most companies will want to promote their own products so it's up to you to read between the lines, and filter out the facts from those pro, and opposed, to particular products.

err I think you'll find it always leaves a signature in trial, post trial and full program! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

End of!

Hmmmmmmmmmm, so standard code with "Revotechnik" written at the end of it..... No Mr Insurance man/Dealer Sir, I never had any trial software on there!

So if it leaves a signature behind, what else does it leave.

I don't know what anyone else thinks about this post on the Revotechnik site but personally I find it a strange and largely unhelpful condescending mix of purposely bewildering self-important technobabble.

This is the fourth or fifth time this link has been posted on the AS.net forum, and each time by someone who purports to have just come across it and found it interesting. Well maybe they have just found it (no disrespect) but I have another theory to offer you.

I strongly suspect that in addition to engine tuning, Revotechnik has started programming human beings. It's possible they may have already produced a small army of Revoclones as part of a deliberate world domination scheme.

I know I could be risking my life posting this here but I was followed last night by two blacked-out S3s covered in Revotechnik badges. I think they wanted to know what I might say to an Audi Driver journalist should my RR reading prove disappointing. Call me paranoid but my biggest worry now is that when I had the revo programme installed they also uploaded their self-ignite programme on my ECU. It works just like the trial software except can be activated remotely. I really hope their software isn't dodgy!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Interesting post.

I think that anyone who tries to con their insurance by 'Not' telling them about any remap deserves to be caught out. All my mods are declared as I'm not willing to take the risk and would feel guilty otherwise. personally think that tuners should not use this for marketing as it promotes dishonesty - all my opinion of course.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I am not a robot, I am a free man!

I don't feel disrespected, but I really stumbled across this one. I admit I only checked the A3/S3 forum wheter this link / post had been already here so my apologize for that one.

And at least in Finland the Revo dealer does NOT say that the trial disappears completely, nor do they provide the self-ignite progamme /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The thing I thought was quite offensive in that Revo post was the bit that they 're-put' the latest stock code back onto the ECU.

So basically, they'll do you a favour by putting the latest stock code onto your ECU, but you have to take their 5 hour trial first!

[ QUOTE ]
simont said:
Interesting post.

I think that anyone who tries to con their insurance by 'Not' telling them about any remap deserves to be caught out. All my mods are declared as I'm not willing to take the risk and would feel guilty otherwise. personally think that tuners should not use this for marketing as it promotes dishonesty - all my opinion of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed!!!

[ QUOTE ]
audi girl said:
[ QUOTE ]
simont said:
Interesting post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, me also. But to be fair, it isn't just Revo that claim undetectability in their marketing now.

[ QUOTE ]
Golf Bygone said:
Call me paranoid but my biggest worry now is that when I had the revo programme installed they also uploaded their self-ignite programme on my ECU. It works just like the trial software except can be activated remotely. I really hope their software isn't dodgy!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that the "Kill" program as outlined in an email here:
Kill Program
apparantly designed to run stupid levels of boost, and when the turbo fails, have it replaced under warranty - referred to as the Kill program........

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif

This is the first time ive read this, and obiously its going to be very favourable to revo.

I just found it interesting in the details of actually what they do, whether this be 100% correct or not is debateable.

As i dont yet even have an S3 never mind a chipped one, at least now i know that if i did have the Revo trial and it never reverted back to an exact copy of the original code, they would at least re-flash the original Audi code over the top.

As audi girl said there are lots of considerations to be taken into account when deciding, one being location and with revo having a dealer just 5 miles from me, and the other tuners being much further away. It would be silly for me to discount them without actually giving it a go, after all it is free!!

As an aside if you have the REVO trial, and say it doesnt put the code back exactly the same. Could you still have you car chipped elsewhere without having the original Audi standard code re-flashed over the top??

Mark

It might be free, but so are lots of things you don't really want!!!!! I've just finished using a free sample of fabric conditioner, but it doesn't mean that I want it leaving a sticky residue over the inside of my washing machine which might mix with my normal fabric conditioner with unpredictable results (yes folks, that happened!)! (Not that I'm suggesting Revo leaves a sticky residue, but you know what I mean!)

One of the guys on here, has a car that consistently now uses more petrol per tank than it did before the trial - why is that? Could it be adaptation (after several months you would think the ECU has adapated back to providing the engine with correct fuelling), or is there a setting somewhere that has not been put back to standard? If so, what is it, does it have implications on the engine/performance, and what else might have been missed?

His isn't the only case of odd performance figures after the trial has expired.

Call me a cynic, but just because they say that it does that, doesn't necessarily mean that it actually does that, does it?

I mean, Microsoft say they write decent code, but we all know that to be complete boll*&%s don't we!!!!

the adaptation story has been running through my mind for a while.

Does anyone know by how much %age wise a car's power can vary during the adaptation period?

for example, if I had a remap carried out on my car, and the RR was carried out immediately after the remap work (which AMD do for example) to verify results, then would a future RR result on the same car using the same fuel vary considerably after the adaptation period?

I'm told that the adaptation period is circa 3 hours of driving.

[ QUOTE ]
audi girl said:
Kill Program
apparantly designed to run stupid levels of boost, and when the turbo fails, have it replaced under warranty - referred to as the Kill program........

[/ QUOTE ]

No that's something else. The 'kill program' is designed to activate a week before the 3 year warranty expires. The programme I'm thinking of "expires" the warranty holder and the engine at the same time.

It's been a bit crowded in my head today. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
audi girl said:
Kill Program

[/ QUOTE ]

BTW Jo, you're a bad brave girl sharing this email us, but I'm very glad you did. It shows without question the architect of a certain tuner to be an unscrupulous, greedy @rsewiping geek.

So prospective customers think hard - is this really where you want your money to end up?

dunno about u lot, but reading all that has put me off getting mine chipped....

Bruno - not my email, I linked to APR's website, where they have copies of the documentation being used in the current legal dispute between themselves and Revo.

I can't vouch for its authenticity etc., it's just a link..... draw your own conclusions, or wait for the outcome of the case!

Pure - make your own decision, there are lots of tuners out there.

MarkS3, if you would opt for the Revo, remember that the above mentioned is for the trial, the "real" software is somewhat different.

If you leave the ethics (everyone is innoncent until proven guilty and blabla so on) aside, I believe that any of the more known tuners are a good option. Do a search on this forum and you'll find quite a lot comments. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

I would believe that you could find other tuners in at least Spain? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

My personal option is that a chipped S3 is great fun, what tuner you choose doesn't change this fact! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

MarkS3 - I guess it depends how quickly you want the car remapped - I think there will be serial programming products available from other tuners in the near future.

I have a Revo garage under the office where my wife works, but I'm going 30 miles to an APR dealer. Nothing to do with APR versus Revo, more to do with the Revo dealer being new to this and the APR dealer being established. A bit of a track record is important in these kind of situations IMO.

Dan

So when will AMD make trial software available to test as i read the other day that they are doing Mini tuning upgrades via the diagnostics port so it will only be a matter of time before Amd perfect this "new" technology. then maybe AMD will get a right royal slagging off by others who still use the old ECU removal solder a new chip in way of uprating.
By the way my car is standard and i have no loyalty to any particular tuning company but i have had a bad experience dealing with AMD in the past which definately rules them out as far as my vehicles go now and in the future. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif